Sparky mentioned this on his show this morning. I replied as such:

I think you need to think through what you're proposing:

To MIL:

OF Ken Griffey, Jr.

To CIN:

OF Geoff Jenkins

OF Tony Gwynn, Jr.

SP Chris Cody

I have no issue with Cody being involved. My bigger issue is this: why even bother doing the trade???

Griffey's numbers are better than Jenkins, to be sure. However, it's not by much, and by doing this deal you would be severely limiting the Brewers depth, now and in the future. Let's worry about now for the time being.

Let's say Bill Hall isn't back until September (worst case scenario). You now have Kevin Mench playing every day (he can't hit righties to save his life), Griffey in CF, and Hart in RF. Yost would probably use Gabe Gross in the Jenkins role, playing him everyday in left field versus RHP, and Mench versus LHP. This leaves you with a reserve OF of Laynce Nix, who can't stay healthy. Past that, outfield depth in the higher levels is minimal. You'd have to dip down to someone like Drew Anderson if need be, and that's scary.

What happens if Griffey gets hurt in that situation? I don't like the idea of trading Jenkins in a Griffey deal. I'd rather try to move Mench, Gwynn, and maybe someone like Alcides Escobar.

You're on the right track, I just don't know if you've thought through the ramifications of such a deal. Are you OK with Gabe Gross playing as much as Jenkins has??

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sparky that's not even close to a fair deal for Cincy unless they are convinced Gwynn is the second coming. Our depth isn't that hurt by this "deal" if we bring up Nix instead of Gwynn we're likely to get qualitatively similar results and Gross and Hart can play CF, and Gross could post an OPS on the sunny side of .800 just as easily as Jenkins.

What's the deal with Sparky saying that Gabe Gross is Ned Yost's "favorite" and because of that plays him all the time?

I'm pretty sure Gabe has started 3 games this year. He has hardly played at all.

you can't trade laporta yet. he has to be with the team for a year, first.

why would cincy want Jenkins? He's more valuable to us than them.

Send them gross, gwynn (to keep their contingent of HOF sons constant), and a pitcher who grades higher than Cody.

Griffey has a big contract, and has at least one more year, so we'd be helping cincy out a lot by taking his contract.

Cincy is going to want arms if they trade Griffey. Sending them two pedistran OFers Jenks, Gwynn jr or Gross is not going to get it done. If they move Griffey they have Hamilton, Freel, and Dunn in the OF and none the prior Brewers players would start over the Reds 3 guys.

Inman would most likely have to be in the deal and a player like Parra or Sarfate also. Cincy needs arms since they will have to over pay pitchers to come to play in that bandbox.

I don't think the trade is unfair, but it barely improves the Crew, and limits their depth for when Griffey inevitably goes down.

It's just a "go after the big name" type deal to me. Also, I'm not sure what Junior's contract is, but I gotta believe it's awful.

Quote:
What's the deal with Sparky saying that Gabe Gross is Ned Yost's "favorite" and because of that plays him all the time?

I know he should either look things up or shut his big mouth.

Fielder 313 AB's

Hardy 311 AB's

Hall 288 AB's

Estrada 264 AB's

Hart 235 AB's

Jenkins 216 AB's

Weeks 216 AB's

Counsell 174 AB's

Mench 172 AB's

Graffanino 169 AB's

Braun 150 AB's

Miller 89 AB's

Gwynn 83 AB's

Gross 76 AB's

As soon as Griffey gets injured the Brewers are toast. And he has a no trade clause. It means that you'll not only pay him this year and his $12.5 million for next year but likely $18 million for 2009. Say goodbye to Sheets.

You mean a radio talk show host doesn't know what he's talking about? Shocking

brewtank's trade proposal is downright scary, let alone Junior's crippling contract (I'll let you guys figure out which "Jr." I mean...), The Crew needs young talent, because it's affordable talent. Trade two of your top young players for anything less than a young star player? No thanks.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

There is something that bothers me about trading Jenkins. I was an advocate about trading Jenks for a long time, but the guy is less than 50 homers away from being the Brewers' franchise home run king. I know it isn't much, but I think Jenks would like to break it.

Griffey would not want to be a Brewer, and plus, the Reds would be insane to trade with a divisional opponent that involves a player of Griffey's magnitude.

endaround, Griffey's contract expires after the 2008 season.

Community Moderator

I'd think that at this point in his career and never having even been to a World Series, Griffey might have a lot more interest in leaving the team with the worst record in the NL for the team with the best record in the NL and a great shot at the Series than you'd think.

I mean, he's only been to the playoffs twice in his career, and hasn't been there in 10 years. If winning one is something he really wants to accomplish, there are far worse places he could go than Milwaukee at this point.

I don't think the trade is unfair, but it barely improves the Crew,

Huh?

Griffey is third in the NL in homers and has a .964 OPS,i'd make this trade in a heartbeat if we had a franchise with more money to spend.

Quote:
I'd think that at this point in his career and never having even been to a World Series, Griffey might have a lot more interest in leaving the team with the worst record in the NL for the team with the best record in the NL and a great shot at the Series than you'd think.

I think the Brewers would have a shot if not for the fact that both the Dodgers and the Padres will be looking for help.

Eithier is putting up a .282/.348/.435 line for the Dodgers. The Padres have the following:

Giles: .279/.371/.353

Sledge: .224/.321/.392

Cruz: .247/.325/.385

You can see why the Padres jumped to get Bradley even though he seems injured. Through in Ibanez in Seattle and Willits for the Angels and Griffey could have a choice of where to play.

Any truth to this:

Agent: Reds Griffey not going to Brewers

Reds officials on Wednesday refused to comment specifically on an ESPN report published Tuesday that quoted Ken Griffey Jr. as saying he thought the team would try to trade him. But Griffey's agent said Wednesday the team recently called the outfielder to deny a trade rumor that had the Reds right fielder going to the Milwaukee Brewers. Brian Goldberg said Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky told him "there was nothing to the Milwaukee rumor that got started, and there was nothing on at this time." Neither Krivsky nor Reds chief executive officer Bob Castellini would comment on specific trade talk. Castellini made it sound as if the club is not getting ready to turn over the roster. "We're no more or less active than we were two weeks ago," he said. If the Reds want to shed salary to remake the club, Griffey, who makes $12.5 million, or Adam Dunn, due to make $13 million next year, are the players to move. Griffey might be easier to move because he's having a better year than Dunn and he's under contract for next season with a club option for 2009. Dunn's contract is structured in such a way that Dunn becomes a free agent after the season if he's traded.

-- Cincinnati Enquirer

That's too bad the denial came from Krivisky because if it had been Doug "when it comes to big deal I'll lie through my teeth" Melvin a denial would have been a license to print Jersey's

When I was reading the MIilwaukee Brewers board on ESPN they were saying this morning at 10:15 on espn, first take, and peter gammons there were actual rumor of Griffey to the Brewers being reported..

I also want to mention the articles that have been posted about Griffey not going to the Brewers are posted as early as 6 a.m. So anything espn has reported could very well be true.

Gotta say i like hearing that the Brewers may be looking for another Bat and Griffey would be great as he can play CF if needed.. But what is it gonna cost?? Villy Jackson and Mench??? Would love a deal of Griffey and Weathers as it would help both the offense and Pen.. where any names thrown out in any of those rumors???

Archived