Brewer Fanatic

Cliff Floyd to the Padres

Bush is an intriguing fella...

95 mph heater... hasn't pitched all too much since being converted but looked good I guess in his short stints. If the Padres are looking for anything (literally) in return for him... I'd toss some low level mild prospect at them. Nobody decent... but someone.

I don't like the report of the suspension for a fight outside a club though... don't want any of that around.

Although at the time he wasn't really the consensus #1 pick was he?

When Weeks was drafted he was the golden spikes winner and was considered to be a #1 pick with Upton, IIRC.

San Diego I thought took Bush b/c he was from the San Diego area and he would be easier to sign. Right away he got busted for underage drinking I recall and people were saying the padres screwed up royally in taking him, esp. since he wasn't even the best player in the draft.

Here's the original story from US today.

http://www.usatoday.com/s...ft/2004-06-07-picks_x.htm

The key paragraphs,

"The selection, which continues on Tuesday, was a bit of a surprise by the Padres, who said in the days leading up to the draft that they narrowed their choices to three college players: Florida State shortstop Stephen Drew, and right-handers Jered Weaver of Long Beach State and Jeff Niemann of Rice.

Signability likely played a major role in the Padres' final decision. Agent Scott Boras represents Drew and Weaver. "

Archived