Brewer Fanatic

Fun with Comps

brewerguy71

Since we're all in a kind of baseball doldrum right now waiting for Spring Training to start, maybe we could look at some fun numbers/comps and wonder "what if?" Using baseball-reference's comparable players, I took the Brewer 09 starting lineup and put together a list of the most comparable players. Who would you rather have?

c - Kendall: Mark Grudzielanek (2b)

1b - Fielder: Adrain Gonzalez

2b - Weeks: Brian Johnson ©

3b - Hall: Jhonny Peralta (ss)

ss - Hardy: Junior Spivey (2b)..what the heck????

lf - Braun: Josh Hamilton

cf - Cameron: Ray Lankford

rf - Hart: Josh Willingham

doesnt work as well with the pitchers.

The most interesting thing is that Kendall is more comparable to a 2nd baseman and Weeks is more comparable with a catcher. The two big marquee names on the team, Braun and Fielder of course have pretty good comparable players. Would you rather have Braun or Hamilton, Fielder or Gonzalez? Personally I would take Hamilton over Braun in a heartbeat. Lefthanded bat, bigger power, plays CF and great human interest story. And with Gonzalez you get a better hitter but with less power. Just fun stuff I thought I would share. Also kind of surprised that Hardy didnt have a better comp.

No way I'd take Hamilton over Braun. Braun is the face of this franchise, and hasn't hit anywhere near his peak yet. He's also proved himself to be quite a class act, by way of his contract as well as when he's out in public. Someone here posted about their Mom's birthday or anniversary or something, and they ran into Braun at a function; Braun gave Mom a hug, took pics, etc. I love stuff like that. I know I've read other examples here also, alghough I can't remember any specifically (old age is tough).

I'd also have to wonder what effect Hamilton's past drug use will have on his body in years to come, and/or the possibility of relapse. And please, don't anybody jump on me as being "anti addict." I myself am a recovering addict, and know all too well the many twists and turns that come with it for the rest of one's life. I wish Hamilton nothing but the best, and would love to have him on our team; just not at the expense of Braun.

I'd take Braun over Hamilton simply because he's 3 years younger. Hamilton is a CF, which gives him an advantage, but he's allegedly a pretty poor fielding CF, so it's not a huge advantage. Because of that, age is the deciding factor for me (of course, it could be argued that Hamilton may still have room to develop because of his years away from baseball, but I have no idea if that's plausible or not).

It's too bad tough, that Wayne Krivsky saw something Doug Melvin didn't and was able to get Hamilton from the Cubs. OTOH, it was good that Hendry didn't see it either and gave Hamilton to the Reds.

Well to be honest, a guy languishing in A-Ball is a pretty sore sight. As for the belief that Braun hasn't "shown" what he can do, need I remind you of his BABIP (especially vs. lefties) during his record setting rookie year? If anything, I would say we haven't seen Josh Hamilton's true talent level.

Prince v. Adrian...PRINCE!

I like the Hall comp, and considering Jhonny is most likely going to end up at third, it's pretty apt. Hart v. Willingham??? When did Josh Willingham become a speedster?

That is interesting...I wonder if it would be at all possible for us to acquire Hamilton. I'm sure we'd need more pitching to trade for him, but the Rangers have excess outfielders. Last time he was traded for a good big league-ready pitching prospect, and surely his value has gone up. Perhaps I could see them wanting any of our top starters (Yo, Parra, Bush), but I don't think we'd move the first two. I don't think we're a match, but it's fun to think of Hamilton and Braun in the same OF

Personally I would take Hamilton over Braun in a heartbeat. Lefthanded bat, bigger power, plays CF and great human interest story.
Im sorry, but do you really prefer players with better human interest stories!?!?!? Its time to stop watching ESPN.

I would say we haven't seen Josh Hamilton's true talent level

Well Hamilton had a .779 OPS on the road lasat year and his home stats were partially driven by a .357 BABIP. There is a chance Hamilton already had the best year of his career.

Personally I would take Hamilton over Braun in a heartbeat. Lefthanded bat, bigger power, plays CF and great human interest story.
Im sorry, but do you really prefer players with better human interest stories!?!?!? Its time to stop watching ESPN.
No, I prefer the player with the better talent, and upside. Hamilton's story is interesting to the world, not only me, and it is ONE of the nice aspects about him as a player and a man.

I would still take him over Braun on talent and upside alone. Youth goes to Braun, but overall Hamilton is the better player long term imo.

Archived