Brewer Fanatic

Why not take a shot? Andruw Jones

my only surprise is that it took this long for the question to be asked.

if the brewers had more lefties on the roster, maybe he'd be a better replacement over Gywnn. maybe. plus Jones isn't an OBP guy, and probably the last thing Melvin wants on the team is another power/high-K guy.

and Jones probably has an equal to better chance of hooking on as a backup OF in Atlanta, and it'd be a far better move for him to go back to a team and a manager he knows well. in Milwaukee he'd never get the chance to become a starter ahead of Cameron.

I guess it would depend on his motivation. From another thread, it almost sounds like he's lost his motivation to play, and he'll get paid a lot of money for a number of years to sit and do nothing, so he may not even decide to play anymore.

If he does decide to play, he probably wants a chance to win a starting job, which he won't have unless an injury occurs in Milwaukee. If he's looking at signing on with a team with playoff hopes, maybe he would consider Milwaukee. Also, he may want to stay out of the limelight, making Milwaukee a preferable destination.

I'd rather have him at league minimum than our current crop of backups, so I'd be for it, although I don't think it has much chance of happening.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Yeah...he's a much better fit for Atlanta or some team in rebuilding mode that can afford to give him a chance at a starting spot. That is not going to happen in Milwaukee.
good point. he'd be a good fit for one of the Pittsburgh's of the world--one of those low-risk/high-reward type of players. and maybe that kind of potential would pique a fan's curiosity.

I've never heard of a whole lot of millionaires who were content with the money they had and wouldn't take the opportunity to make millions more. the way baseball is, if Jones rebounded and had a decent year, some sucker team is going to give him $5 million for 2010.

Archived