Brewer Fanatic

MLB '09 The Show

B2k1121

Another thing from operationsports is the section about "sliders". I used a guy named Trinity's sliders and the gameplay is even more realistic as far as how many hits, homeruns, errors, etc.

I'm using Trinity's sliders as well, though I'm not using auto defense. So far, things have been fairly realistic, though hitting is still a challenge in the sense of grouping hits together. I have lots of hitters hitting well, but I'm not scoring many runs overall.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah...I ran into a bug where my guy was supposed to catch an easy pop up, but for some reason bolted for 1B, and I could not get him to stop. The base running in RTTS can also be somewhat touchy. I liked last year's base running system better. Using the left analog stick is really touchy for some reason.

Also...ARRRRRRGGGGHHHH! I suck at hitting! I mean, I'm really, really bad. I could always do at least OK in the older versions, but in '09 I REALLY struggle. I seem to ground out and fly out constantly. I also hit pop ups way more than I used to. It always seems like I'm destined to hit into a double play when the situation arises. Any tips? Do I just need to mess with the sliders more? I'm getting hoarse from cursing at my TV due to this game.

I would suggest being patient. I have messed with the sliders a bit, I have computer strike frequency all the way to the left because I like to try to draw walks, and I have cpu pitch control all the way to the left. It produces a fairly realistic amount of walks, and the if the pitcher gets behind they will groove a FB on occasion and that's when you can get some good contact. I seem to hit decent and I don't use the left stick at all.

I had some troubles with the base running. I turned what should of been a seven run inning into a 2 run inning with some horrible base running or lack of really. I had no trouble with the hitting, but I assume that you guys were playing at a higher difficulty .

Tisko, I had the same problem. I switched back to "classic" base running. This morning I got the bases loaded in the 9th inning, down by 2 runs against the Nats with only one out...I hit a monster sac fly, but then screwed up with the running and got doubled up at 1B to end the game. I chalk it up as a victory since I didn't remember exactly how the classic base running controls work.

I'm getting better with hitting...in the same game I was down 6-0 (thanks to Yovani giving up three bombs, including a grand slam...), but rallied back to get four runs before the 9th inning. I would really suggest playing with the sliders. I decided making the game a bit easier was healthier for my personal sanity than to constantly be cursing at the TV, because you normally have to be dead on accurate with your hitting on the default settings to get any kind of offense going.

Anyone have issues with adding custom walk up music? I added some I got off that operationsports.com link for some of the Brewers the other day (after the roster update), but now they all defaulted back to the generic music. What gives?

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Anyone have issues with adding custom walk up music? I added some I got off that operationsports.com link for some of the Brewers the other day (after the roster update), but now they all defaulted back to the generic music. What gives?
The music is linked with that roster, so after you add the music, make sure you do a roster save. Then when starting a franchise make sure you load that roster file. Or, are you saying you are already in a franchise and you just edited the players in the franchise menus? If that's the case then I have no idea why it wouldn't work, because that's the way I did it.

Btw, I also can't stand the base running in RTTS. I like the stealing aspect, but the overall base running is terrible, I've made so many outs on the bases.

Pulled a big win on HOF level last night online on the back of a Mike Cameron 2-run HR. Hard to lay off pitches in the game, but it does get easier over time. I've had some frustrating baserunning experiences as well, but I have yet to take the time to really look into what the controls are. Great game, though.

Any updates on the league stoutdude?

Yeah, one of my big problems early on was swinging at too many pitches. It seems like you have to be much more accurate than in years past, unless you adjust the sliders. Otherwise you completely miss, ground out, or pop up like crazy. At least that was my experience.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Yea, whe have got 8-9 commited. Including you. Im going to set the league up on the 1st day and I will know more on the amount of games. We are going to do a 3 man rotation, and anywhere between 20-40 games. Its going to be on either all-star or HOF difficulty. Guess pitch off, strikes zones and hot zones off. Teams that are ranked from 9-22 will all be assigned a random number. I will then have everyone choose a number and that will be the team they get. Im going to get my team last and choose from a hat. The league is alot of my personal friends and a few people that I know from online games or from here. It will be highly legit style of play(no abusing the in game glitches, if you want to know what those are feel free to shoot me a pm). Anyone else interested let me know. I will know more on the 17th-18th.

Sweetness

I played Legend mode against the cubs. I started Yo and he went 6+ and gave up 2 runs. It was 2-2 until the top of the 8th when the cubs scored a run. Leading off the bottom half was a PH. Well, let's just say Brad Nelson hit a PH HR to tie it. Weeks doubled and Brauny doubled as well to give me the 4-3 lead. Hells bells came in and shut the door.

This feels great. You really have to be patient with the hitting. I couldn't lay off Big Z's slider and it hurt me badly, but not enough.

Is there a way you can make your roster and sliders load automatically every time you start the game, or do you always have to do it manually? I realized that's why my music settings were disappearing...I wasn't loading the rosters every time I play.

i finally got some time today to play the game and the biggest bug that i have found is that the brewers seem to switch managers in the middle of games, macha starts and a hispanic man finishes most games. hopefully the next patch fixes that.

Like I said earlier, I am in my second season as CP currently in AAA. My two biggest gripes so far are random games where no matter where you pitch it they hit it, like the computer has to win no matter what. Second for some reason when the other team bunts if you, as the the pitcher, try to get the ball if it gets to the mound you guy will stop and you are unable to pick up the ball.

My catcher has played through ST and one week of AA. He also refuses to pick up a bunt until the batter has already reached base. This really sucks during sac bunts. But I have a PS2 not connected to the net, so I don't get updates.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

For some reason I'll occasionally have an issue in RTTS, where my second baseman will stop running when the short stop is fielding the ball, who then throws it to my guy. It basically makes turning the double play impossible.

Other than that I haven't had any major issues. Maybe some of these "bugs" can be fixed in a future patch, at least in the PS3 version.

I've found that playing at Citizens Bank Ballpark and Minute Maid Field in my last 6 games has made me feel a lot better about myself as a hitter, especially after playing 3 games in the cavernous Citi Field.

The main glitch I've found that annoys me is the AI baserunning is horrible. For example, on a slow chopper to SS that could be a DP ball sometimes the runner on first goes half-way then decides to run back to first. I also had one where I had the bases loaded and Dave Bush hit a soft liner down the line past the third baseman, but the guy on first didn't run even though there were two outs and was thrown out for the force at second. It's a minor thing as I just need to really pay more attention and tell every runner what to do every time, but it is kind of annoying.

Being patient at the plate really helps you to get good pitches, the computer kind of figures out your tendencies as a hitter and throws you the same bad pitches until you stop swinging at them.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Just like last season, RTTS is excruciatingly long and tough. It's fun, but I don't know if I have it in me to play a couple hundred games just to make it to the Show. I wish they would have made it simpler somehow. As it stands I'm using every slider and rule to help me out. Once I'm in AAA or my ratings are good enough I'll reset them.

Hitting has gotten easier but it still seems to be blind luck most of the time. My strategy is I guess fastball and the bottom zone in Classic 1/4. If I don't get a pitch in that zone, I don't swing. If I do, I use the left analog stick to slightly move my vision lower. After that it's timing. Depending on the pitcher's stuff I might not even swing. But if he's only got a change or curve or slider chances are I'll take a hack. The most frustrating thing is when I get a fastball right down the pipe, I swing perfectly and get great wood, and yet all I see out of it is a lazy fly ball. I don't care who you are. If you put a ball on a tee like that you should be hitting bombs. As it stands I've had about 220 at bats in RTTS and I've yet to hit a dong or even a line drive to the wall. The only time I see an extra base hit is when an outfielder tries to throw out the runner ahead of me at 3rd or home.

Be patient. Try playing the game without guess pitch a few times. You start to see how the ball is released from the hand. The only thing I play anymore is guess pitch off, whenever its on I am always guessing pitches and I swing at balls(when I choose the correct zone). Im hovering around hitting 300 online and its all because of patience. I look fastball and react off-speed. It works really well once you understand the movement each pitcher has.

I swear the "Get Up, Get Outta here, Gone!" sounds like a bad impression of bob uecker, plus its faint as to make it sound like its coming from his booth. I didn't think this was Matt V calling the homerun. So totally awesome. Ive been playing The Show '09 every night since it came out and my wife hates me
So a couple of quick reactions from a couple of games I played last night. Visually the game is awesome. Game play is a blast. This is the first game in the "Show" franchise that I have owned, so it is a little difficult for me to pitch especially. Took me a little while to figure out I actually have to go above the first mark in the pitch meter. I seemed to have it working though with Gallardo in my second game as I had a shut out going into the ninth before I gave up a two run shot. Hitting is difficult but realistic. If you try to pull an outside pitch, like Bill Hall, you are going to miss or hit a slow roller, it is a great felling though when you guess the right pitch, time it right and drop one into the left field bleachers. What the "Show" really excels at is the presentation of the game. From Matt V. giving me a Get Up, Get Up, Get Outta Here, Gone when I hit one out with Braun to Prince Fielder hold his glove on a guy for a couple extra seconds after I threw over to keep the runner close, the game really excels in giving me the feeling I'm actually watching and participating in a game of baseball. I haven't tried out the custom chants yet but that seems like a feature that I could really enjoy. The only thing I don't understand is how messed up the minor league rosters are. They have Vinny Rottino and Casey McGahee in AA for instance and Chris Capuano is the ace for the Sounds. There is some guy named Jose Lima starting in front of Salome at AAA. Any idea who this guy is? All in all the game is great, I'm just hoping for a nice roster update and maybe I'll spend some time moving guys around once spring training is over and they are at their proper affiliates.

Archived