Brewer Fanatic

MLB '09 The Show

B2k1121
  • Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
if anyone picks it up for the wii and wouldn't mind posting their thoughts, that'd be great. Not sure if I want to set aside the $50 for this or just make due with Power Pros for the time being.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

if anyone picks it up for the wii and wouldn't mind posting their thoughts, that'd be great. Not sure if I want to set aside the $50 for this or just make due with Power Pros for the time being.

It's a Playstation-only release, unfortunately.

I may pick it up for PS2, if it has a lot of the new features. Anyone who could advise about this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I just picked it up. Played a few online games. Pitching is just like riding a bike. Hitting on the other hand...a bit tougher. CH with a 2 out bomb to tie, and Nelson with a ph hr to win in the bottom of the 9th for my first win.

I've only played one game so far, but it appears to be the best sports game I've ever played.? I uploaded some videos to Youtube, see if this works.

Bill Hall being Bill Hall

?

Ryan Braun Double

I've only played one game so far, but it appears to be the best sports game I've ever played.? I uploaded some videos to Youtube, see if this works.
I wonder if the ump is ever going to give the ball to the catcher.

Game is awesome. I played an exhibition of Brewers vs White Sox...would have won if Gallardo hadn't given up a fluke two run homer. Lost 5-4, so not my worst video game defeat by far. I did get the satisfaction of hitting a homer with Braun.

A couple funny things with the Brewers...Macha is not the manager. It's some made up Hispanic looking guy. Also, Weeks seems to be a defensive wizard so far. Also, Cameron defaults as the lead off hitter (I guess they were going off of late last season). As was noted earlier, Miller Park looks much nicer and more accurate than last year.

Road to the Show is a lot of fun too. The customization of your player is crazy. You can record audio snippets (though I'm not sure totally how to do that) and create custom chants for your player. Also, the third base coach will sometimes give you signals if you're on base (like rub his belt for a bunt, or rub his leg for steal). Base running is also a little different, and hard to get used to at first...but I think will end up being more intuitive in the long run. You use the left analog stick to move the runner forward or back.

There's also batting practice and practice stealing. I had a hilarious thing happen where I tried the practice base running as Corey Hart...I didn't do well at all, and at the end of the session Corey was on the ground and Ed Sedar was yelling at him. Pretty funny.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I got The Show today and it is awesome. I did franchise mode right away and called up Gamel, Salome, Escobar and Irbarren. the designers are alittle off on their info about certain players like Weeks is a better defensive in- fielder than Hardy or Escobar The graphics are very good for PS2 and the price was right, only $29.99. The only real downside is I can't figure out a way to lock on a pitch were it locks the location. So far on this years game it only shows me that I picked the right pitch but I have know idea were it's going. If anybody knows how to get a lock on hitting with location being shown let me know, it would be much appreciated.

Tony..if your talking about the ball showing you where the ball is 'exactly' it doesnt do that anymore. If your talking about knowing if its up down, to the side...etc. You have to look, it shades that area of the box red. Very quickly, just like how it shoes the box red if you pick the type of pitch right.

Tony, the only difficulty level which will allow you to see the exact location of the pitch you guess is Rookie, and you have to play with Classic 1/4 for guess pitch on. I think you could do classic 1/6 as well.

The game is pretty awesome, from what I can tell so far. I have spent most of the night fiddling with the 40 man and entering music for people, so I haven't played a full game, but I tested a couple innings to make sure the music worked. I am kind of disappointed the Brewers don't have the alternate blues, instead they have the spring training blue and gold's, but I'll make due I suppose.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

What? I played an exhibition game yesterday, and I'm almost positive the Brewers had their alternate dark blue uniforms, if those are the ones you are talking about. I could also choose from two different throwback jerseys...a 1982 one (I think), and one that looked kind of like the Milwaukee Bears unis. This is on the PS3 version I'm playing, though.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

You're right Invader. The funny part is on exhibition I was only able to select the alternate blues as an away jersey top, while at home my alternate option was the retro Friday's jersey. I guess I didn't give the game enough credit.

One thing I definitely noticed as an upgrade from last year is they really sped up infielder throws, last year I got so used to just throwing to first because a 6-4, 5-4, or 4-6 putout to end an inning was so painstakingly slow and half the time the guy would be safe. I also like the fact when you go into the edit player screen you can see their numerical ratings. Bill Hall has 41 contact against RHP, lol. He did homer off of Felix Hernandez though during the few innings I tested, so I'm not going to complain.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

So a couple of quick reactions from a couple of games I played last night. Visually the game is awesome. Game play is a blast. This is the first game in the "Show" franchise that I have owned, so it is a little difficult for me to pitch especially. Took me a little while to figure out I actually have to go above the first mark in the pitch meter. I seemed to have it working though with Gallardo in my second game as I had a shut out going into the ninth before I gave up a two run shot. Hitting is difficult but realistic. If you try to pull an outside pitch, like Bill Hall, you are going to miss or hit a slow roller, it is a great felling though when you guess the right pitch, time it right and drop one into the left field bleachers. What the "Show" really excels at is the presentation of the game. From Matt V. giving me a Get Up, Get Up, Get Outta Here, Gone when I hit one out with Braun to Prince Fielder hold his glove on a guy for a couple extra seconds after I threw over to keep the runner close, the game really excels in giving me the feeling I'm actually watching and participating in a game of baseball. I haven't tried out the custom chants yet but that seems like a feature that I could really enjoy. The only thing I don't understand is how messed up the minor league rosters are. They have Vinny Rottino and Casey McGahee in AA for instance and Chris Capuano is the ace for the Sounds. There is some guy named Jose Lima starting in front of Salome at AAA. Any idea who this guy is? All in all the game is great, I'm just hoping for a nice roster update and maybe I'll spend some time moving guys around once spring training is over and they are at their proper affiliates.

I made a CP pitcher for the Brewers and the one thing I noticed is you can go two, three games in a row mowing people down and then all of a sudden you hit a game where the computers starts getting hits no matter where you pitch it. I had a guy hit a Homer off me with a pitch parrarell to his eyes and then the next guy take a splitter away off the ground and pulled to the fence.

The hitting is alot harder then it was last year. I was on base once and even though didnt get much work with it I am not a fan of the new base running mechanic.

Dumb question...is Manny Ramirez in the game? I know he's not on the Dodgers roster, as he was still technically a free agent when the game came out. However, I was searching for him under free agents and couldn't find him there either. Griffey, Looper, Abreu, etc. were in there.

Archived