Brewer Fanatic

Christian Bale is Insane

Gobias Industries

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'd be really interested to know what kind of scene they were shooting. Be funny if it was some kind of romantic exchange.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

That's Bale's actual accent.

Not to dismiss that Bale over reacted, but if your DP is setting up equipment during a take and walking in and out of shots he is borderline incompetent. Toss in a hugely expensive production and a method actor and you're bound to have a blowup.

That's Bale's actual accent.

Not to dismiss that Bale over reacted, but if your DP is setting up equipment during a take and walking in and out of shots he is borderline incompetent. Toss in a hugely expensive production and a method actor and you're bound to have a blowup.

He was kind of going in and out of his British and American during the rant. I've seen him give interviews in "American" (i.e. Charlie Rose interview after Batman came out) which I found kind of odd.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

While the DP erred in walking in on shots, this was way overboard by Bale in my opinion. How is everyone on set supposed to just pretend that none of that happened and go back to shooting after a blowup like that? Bush league.

The one taking the verbal beating probably wishes he would have stood up when he heard the recording of that. I use to be like that, and now I just let it loose if someone's acts like that around me.

You're exactly right bullox. I can't believe people think this awesome. It would be epic if it was a scene from a movie, but holy crap, no one deserves to be treated like that.

Its pretty common behavior. There is an infamous David O Russell clip on youtube showing him rampaging on set as he blows up at Lily Tomlin as Dustin Hoffman and Jason Schwartzman just move out of his way. Spielburg is known to have a temper as are numerous other directors and actors.

When you have enormously high budget productions on tight budgets and tight production schedules tensions can rise rather quickly and blowups happen. Most people simply work through it because they know it is part of the job.

The clip also doesn't say much about McG who utterly lost control of his set. He should have stepped in and had Bale take a moment and then talked with his DP. Instead he let Bale have his meltdown and shirked blame when Bale confronted him during his outburst.

Not to mention if it's a high intensity scene that requires a ton of emotion McG may just want him to stay that way through the shot.

Dir. of Photography

Or Christian Bale is running the show instead of a director who was chosen for the biggest summer blockbuster in years whose most notable gig before that was The OC and Chuck.
To be fair, McG directed the Charlie's Angels movies and We Are Marshall. He's dealt with as big of (or bigger...and quite possibly crazier) stars as Bale before. I do agree that he failed as a director in this situation.

I'm a rep for an entertainment union, and I spend a fair amount of time on sets out here in CA, and while these kind of tantrums aren't unheard of, they're also not what I would call common. There are always disagreements and even small blowups, but this was beyond the pale, regardless of the DP's sizable error.

Reason # 234,564,167,567,000 why athletes, actors/actresses, or anyone halfway considered rich or famous should not be put on a pedestal and idolized.
Rich and famous people should not be inherently idolized.

However, there are often good reasons they are individually.

Though I'm pretty sure the guy is a douche, I can easily think of six reasons in the last four years that I really don't care what this guy is like off camera...

1. Batman Begins

2. The Prestige

3. 3:10 to Yuma

4. The Dark Knight

5. Public Enemies (filmed in Wisconsin)

6. Terminator

And a personal favorite of mine, Reign of Fire. I'm a sucker for sweet dragons.

Edit:

http://www.myfittribe.com/files/images/Christian%20Bale%20in%20The%20Machinist.jpg

The dude takes his movies seriously. The fact that he went from this, to playing Batman, in less than a year takes some major dedication and passion for what he is doing. Some poor guy just got in his way.

Archived