Brewer Fanatic

Dodgers Offer Manny $25m/1 year

MLB Trade Rumors has some interesting points up, including that the Nationals are pursuing Dunn. As far as Manny, Cashman came out and said that the Yankees aren't going after Manny at all. Really it seems to be down to the Dodgers and _maybe_ the Giants for him, but the Giants certainly aren't being aggressive at all. I think they're hoping the Dodgers get sick of dinking around with Boras and drop out, which would maybe leave things open for San Fran to swoop in and get him with no other potential suitors.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

The Giants are probably keeping their name in it to make the Dodgers have to pay top dollar. The Giants would have to dump a lot of payroll to fit in Manny and it's not easy to dump payroll these days. Dunn is sitting on the Nats offer because he'd prefer to go to LA. I can't imagine where Boras is going to get a better deal than in LA.

Report has it that it was mainly Manny who declined the offer and not Boras. 2 hours after the contract was offered he turned it down. You would think Boras would sleep on it and convince Manny that $25 million is huge and he won't get anymore than that. The Dodgers are probably better off offering a contract to both Hudson and Dunn.

I think Boras is realizing the market is not getting any better and the demand for his clients are running out. Time is coming for him to open up offers. Here is a look at all of his clients.

List of players not signed yet

Garret Anderson

Joe Crede

Eric Gagne

Andruw Jones

Byung Hun Kim

Rodrigo Lopez

Manny Ramirez

Ivan Rodriguez

Julian Tavarez

Ron Villone

Jeff Weaver

Now a look at FA clients that have signed already

Alex Cora... 1/$2M

Runelvyz Hernandez...

Felipe Lopez... 1/$3.5M

Derek Lowe... 4/$60M

Corey Patterson... 800K Minor League Deal

Oliver Perez... 3/$36M

Mark Teixiera... 8/$180M

Jason Varitek... 1/$5M

Brad Wilkerson... 1/$2.5M

And Manny>>>>Dunn.

This just isn't true.

I think Manny is clearly a superior hitter, I'm not sure he is 4 "greater than" signs better, but probably at least 2 -- They both suck in the field, I am not sure that Dunn is significantly worse.

Dunn is 8ish years younger, and a lot cheaper, and a LH -- definitely when you factor in $$$ and age, I'd probably take Dunn rather quickly.

Manny was better in the field last year, but his UZR/150 looks to be a bit of an outlier. And as you said, he's clearly a better hitter. I don't really think it's even that close.

If I'm an NL team like the Dodgers, I'd rather have Manny for 1-2 years than Dunn for 3-4 years. Even though Dunn will get less money for more years, I think I'd rather not be committed to a guy when he's already suited for the AL, and is most likely gonna be more of a sieve with each passing year. The Dodgers also have a pretty balanced lineup with Loney, Ethier, Dewitt, and Furcal hitting LH/SH, so I think the advantage of Dunn's LHness isn't that huge.

With Boras throwing out the threat that it doesn't pay to play chicken in contract negotiations, I wonder if he ever looks in the mirror and realizes that's exactly what he's doing with Manny and the Dodgers right now - the GMs of the other teams supposedly interested in Manny all came out yesterday and said they want nothing to do with him. That leaves the Giants and Dodgers. The Giants haven't even made an offer, and if they did it wouldn't be close to 25 million for 1 yr.

If I'm the Dodgers' GM, I send Mr. Boras a memo with the parameters of all three offers they made Ramirez during the course of this offseason and give them until the end of next week to pick one. If they reject them, I'd tell Mr. Boras to have fun talking Manny into playing in the Northern League next season for peanuts so his skills don't erode before next offseason.

I'd probably rather have Manny for 1-2 years than Dunn for 3-4 as well, especially if you're a team like the Dodgers who were just in the post season and have a fairly strong chance to go back...but if you can get Dunn for 4 years at about the cost of Manny for 1, and Boras is still going to play those games when it's obvious there are no other serious suitors...well, I know which direction I would go if I was Ned Colletti at this point.

I think that's the right tactic to take, too, Chorizo. The Dodgers should remember they're the ones holding the cards at this point. I seriously believe Manny needs the Dodgers more than they need him at this point. If worse comes to worst, they can sign Dunn or Abreu or someone like that for a fraction of the cost Boras is demanding.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived