Brewer Fanatic

Dodgers Offer Manny $25m/1 year

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3880218

Interesting offer. I wonder if we could do something with Ben Sheets. Majorly overpay for one year, but gives us another golden opportunity to go for it.

A one year, big offer, is good for both sides. The Dodgers limit their risk to one year, and Manny cashes in big time while being able to wait out the poor economic market.

The crazy "cross your fingers" scenario with Sheets is that we may not have to overpay for him. Hardicourt just reported that Texas and he are stalling and he is almost certainly going to have to back off of his demands. If the Brewers can somehow jump back in on him and get him "cheap" ... it'd be a real nice situation, team wise at least.

I think Scott Boras has all of his clients overplaying their hands. It backfired this weekend on Varitek. His ploy to get Manny to sabotage his way out of Boston so he could make commission on a new contract (he would have made nada if Manny stayed in Boston and had those two $20 million year options exercised) telling him he would make 4 years/$100 mil and putting that number in his head has clearly backfired as well. Now I wonder if he's leading Prince down a similar path. What if in two years the economy is in similar condition and Prince's weight/defense don't improve?

While I think Boras has gotten a ton of money from the Yankees, Boston has made him look real bad the last few years... most notably with the Matsuzaka deal. I think GMs are starting to get the better of him and somewhere down the line there will be a tipping point where players realize he can't get what he promises anymore. And if the Yankees aren't bidding against themselves, there's no way you're getting what Boras says you will.

Rp

I reall question how Boras and ManRam can possibly think that they are going to get a better offer than 1/25. If someone had been willing to offer a 2 or 3 year deal they would have done so already and Manny would be signed. It seems pretty apparent that no one is going to pay Manny what he wants and we all know that if Manny doesn't get what he wants he can really disrupt a team.

IMO it was incredibly stupid for him to turn down $25M in this market. There is just no way he is going to get better than that unless he waits for an injury in the middle of the season and even then his salary would be pro rated, just stupid on their part.

Just hours after the Dodgers offered him a one-year, $25-million contract that would have made him the second-highest paid player in baseball and the highest-paid outfielder in baseball history, Ramirez and agent Scott Boras informed the team late Monday night that they'd rejected that offer.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3880836

What is Manny and Boras thinking?

The rejected offer tells me that Manny doesn't want to play for the Dodgers.

he has had 2 offers from them

2/45m

1/25

They did pull the first offer. I wonder if they do it again he would take it now?

Anyways, he isn't going to get more than 25m per season. I don't think the Nationals have what it takes to sign him. I strongly believe the Giants are licking their chops.

Maybe Boras is holding out for Varitek money

Seriously, a one year deal at 25M is a great deal, especially if the economic outlook improves next offseason. Especially when it's becoming obvious that there aren't any other potential destinations for him aside from L.A., and a payroll-sapped Giants team. Reports indicate that the Giants only want to do a 1-yr deal, too, and it probably wouldn't approach 25M.

I still see someone giving him a 3 yr 70/75 million. I dont know who would he is awful in the field but he hits well. Can he put up the #'s he did as a dodger last year for a whole year or 2 or 3? that is what i cant see happening.

I still see someone giving him a 3 yr 70/75 million. I dont know who would he is awful in the field but he hits well. Can he put up the #'s he did as a dodger last year for a whole year or 2 or 3? that is what i cant see happening.
Then what happens in Year #2 and Year #3 when Man Ram feels he is underpaid. Will he pull the same crap he did in Boston? He certainly seems like a "Me First" kind of guy, I can't imagine there is a high demand for that type of player especially the huge salary committment any signing would require. He dug himself into this hole by pulling that crap in Boston. He may be a heck of an offensive player but he is terrible at defense and has the potential to be a huge clubhouser cancer if he doesn't get what he wants. ManRam is the MLB equivalent of a high maintenance girfriend.

fondybrewfan, I am in agreement with you on ManRam pulling his same stunt like he did in Boston. But I also think some team will take the chance and sign him for 3 years at about 20-25 mil a year. Not sure who but this is what he gets for doing that in Boston.

I really can't see any team going higher than 3 yrs/60MM, which is basically what the Dodgers offered since their initial contract included a provision for a third year option.

Oh, and I love how Boras is claiming "several teams have interest in Manny." I'd love to be a GM and ask him to send over the offer from any other club so I have a chance to match it.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I don't know how often agents share other contracts.

If I remember right the Braves said they would no longer negotiate with any Boras client because he supposedly shopped the Braves offer on Furcal to the Dodgers. At least it was something like that, I just remember the Braves being super pissed.

That wasn't Boras, it was another agent (can't remember his name off hand).
You are right. I can't think of the player or agent right now either. It obviously wasn't Furcal because Furcal is a Boras client. For whatever reason I was almost positive that it was Furcal, I thought the Braves had an agreement in place but then that agreement was shopped to another team who ended up upping the offer

I think he'll have two more productive years. I'd give him 46 for two if I had the funds.

The Dodgers are never going to compete without him. I think they're playing russian roulette. If I was the Yankees I'd sign him. The heck with defense, lets just bludgeon everyone to death. But really, if the Yanks did sign him. Don't you think they could put together a strong package for a good defensive outfielder, especially if they ate some salary.

Manny really does nothing but hurt his production by playing LF anymore. Imo he's a DH only at this point.

Reportedly the ChiSox offered Abreu 1 yr./$8M, and Burrell got 2/$16M. I think it's pretty clear where the market sits for Manny at this point. Turning down a $25M offer at this point is sheer lunacy.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Funny you should say that... just saw on ESPN's crawl that the Dodgers plan to pursue Dunn & Orlando Hudson http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Dunn would actually be an upgrade on defense from Manny, and if you take LAD's initial offer of $45M/2 yrs. to Manny, you could probably squeeze at least 3 years out of Dunn on those dollars.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived