Brewer Fanatic

Lofton and Otsuka

We know that the Brewers are interested in Kenny Lofton and may or may not have almost acquired Akinori Otsuka. So let's just say that the Brewers are seriously interested in trading for those two players. What would it take to get them both? I would imagine Gwynn, Vargas, and a prospect or two would get it done. The question, of course, is which prospect(s) it would be.

EDIT: I should mention that I would ALMOST pee my pants if this trade happened. I say almost because I'm saving myself for a very special occasion. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

If Gwynn was enough for Otsuka as reportedly he was, than the deal can be Lofton and Otsuka for Gwynn and Vargas, with no prospects added. Vargas is a starting pitcher, and they carry very good value right now. Lofton hasn't been worth a ton the other times he was dealt at the deadline, and isn't now. Also, the Brewers would be taking on a decent amount of salary in this deal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I just don't think Lofton is a good fit for our Brewer's. He would start once or twice a week at most, and I'm not sure if he would be okay with that. I would rather keep Gwynn personally. Now if we could get Otsuka, Gwynn is as good as gone. I'm not sure if it would take much more to get him either. Maybe they would rather have Parra instead. I would do either deal if I was the Brewers, and really, it wouldn't be a bad move for Texas eiither.

Here are some past trades involving Lofton:

December 3, 2004: Traded by the New York Yankees to the Philadelphia Philles for Felix Rodriguez.

July 23, 2003: Traded by the Pittsburgh Pirates with Aramis Ramirez and cash to the Chicago Cubs for a player to be named later, Jose Hernandez, and Matt Bruback (minors). The Chicago Cubs sent Bobby Hill (August 15, 2003) to the Pittsburgh Pirates to complete the trade.

July 28, 2002: Traded by the Chicago White Sox to the San Francisco Giants for Felix Diaz and Ryan Meaux (minors).

I don't really see a need for Lofton either. Otsuka, on the other hand would be a nice pickup. He hasn't pitched in a couple weeks, but he's due back any day. They'd have to wait and see if he's healthy.

Lofton would be ideal if Hall was out longer, but it looks like we caught a break there and he should be back shortly. I wouldn't mind Lofton, but I agree there is no real need for him. We'd have 6 OFers again.

He'd be a great CF backup though.

Quote:
Vargas is way too much for Lofton. Try more like Jackson or even Spurling. Keep in mind what rentals cost the Brewers last year.

I did. J DLR and Vargas are pretty similar, and J DLR netted us Graffanino. Vargas is more proven than J DLR was at the time, but is less cost efective, and has less upside.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

i believe that would be a pretty good trade. lofton is one heck of a defender in the OF and he still can steal the bases. the only problem is we still have to many OF then. Otsuka would be a great addition. having cordero, turnbow (when he's right), and Otsuka would be lights out

If we were to aquire Lofton, Gwynn or Gross would be involved. So the outfield wouldn't be more clogged.

Knowing how the ball flies down there, I think they may want to give Gross a try.

Gross or Gwynn and Vargas for Otsuka and Lofton works for me.

Now that Dessens appears to be heading to AAA for a "rehab assignment" (a.k.a. letting other organizations see him pitch so they know he's not injured), how about this proposal?

Brewers get:

Otsuka (if he is indeed healthy)

Lofton

Rangers get:

Gwynn Jr.

Dessens

Zack Jackson

this trade could take place right around the time Hall gets back to playing everyday in center, just in time for Dessens to come off the 15 day dl, and also after enough time/appearances by Otsuka to show that he's healthy.

Just a thought

------------------

Quote:
Lofton would be a 2 month rental...no way he's going to get TEX a decent major league SP like Vargas, who won't be a FA for a year or two.

You really think teams are breaking down the door for Vargas? His value has increased slightly, but not dramatically, from when he was cut by Washington. Mike Maroth was traded a few weeks ago for a PTBNL. Multiple teams are after Lofton.

You really think teams are breaking down the door for Vargas? His value has increased slightly, but not dramatically, from when he was cut by Washington. Mike Maroth was traded a few weeks ago for a PTBNL. Multiple teams are after Lofton.

I think it's fair to add a half a run at least to his ERA if you put Vargas on any team in the AL,so you're looking at a guy who would likely have an ERA in the 5 range or higher if Vargas pitched for Texas in that ballpark.I'm sure they would take that though given their struggles finding pitching,Lofton is a rental,and Vargas won't be overly expensive next year.

They probably would prefer a prospect with a higher upside,but i can't see a team giving up a prospect of real value for Lofton.

Maroth is an interesting counterpoint in that numbers wise,he's been pretty much a lefthanded Vargas with less strikeouts.

Quote:

Agreed. If we could get Lofton plust Otsuka for the deal that Fear the Chorizo suggested, i would be very pleased with melvin.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

I think they still would be if the price was right. For just PHing and platooning, Mench and Gross are fine, but in case of injury, Kenny would fit in perfectly. But, I'm sure he'll be worth more to some team with a crappy OF.

If Lofton were right handed, or able to hit lefties at all (which he can't); then he'd be an ideal trade deadline addition for the Brewers. He would add much needed veteran presence that we really could use in all three phases (lineup, pen, and SP). Otsuka would take care of the pen. Then we could add a veteran starting arm as well for the stretch run. Lofton could have started, or come off the bench; depending on Hall's status. And with the way Hardy has been struggling after his torrid start, Lofton could hit leadoff or 2nd, with Hardy sliding down in the order. And then we could have: Hall, Lofton, and Hart; starting against lefties, while: Jenkins, Hall, and Hart; started against righties. Unfortunately, Lofton isn't right-handed, nor can he hit lefties. So he wouldn't be an ideal acquisition for the Brewers, but he wouldn't be terrible either.

Quote:
Just heard during the Indians game that Otsuka is still not able to throw due to forearm tightness.

Thanks for the update. It sounds pretty similar to the injury Aquino had. What did it take him to start pitching again, 3 weeks?

How serious is Otsuka's injury situation? Could we pull the trigger on him now with an eye towards next season when Coco has left the building. And if he's fully healthy during this season then we use him. Obviously in this context it depends on how injured he might be. And it would also depend on the type of prospect we would be dealing.

Archived