Brewer Fanatic

Oliver Perez to Mets 3/36

zurch1818

Wow that is quite a bit of guaranteed money in this market for a guy who has struggled quite a bit. He has the ability to make this deal look like an absolute steal for the Mets but he also has had the performances that could make this deal look horrible for the Mets. We'll see how it works out.

I think it is a pretty solid deal for the Mets. $12M for Perez in this market might be a little high but it is only for 3 years so there isn't too much risk there. Mets probably felt it was less risky than giving Sheets a 2 year deal even though when healthy Perez is no where near the pitcher that Sheets is.

This probably officially removes the Mets from the list of potential Sheets suitors as well. It looks like it is down to the Rangers and the Rangers right now

It's about time he re-signed with the Mets. Maybe this is the start of the market opening up?

Sheets will be next to sign.

My guess is 1 year deal with option for 2010 with the RANGERS

Perez settled for 3 years and $36 million... 12 PER

On Jan. 12th the Mets offered 3/$30M... 10 PER

On Jan. 20th Perez was seeking 5/60M... 12 PER

Looks like Perez actually got the deal he wanted.

I think they did bid against themselves. There is one report that another team offered more money, but it doesn't mention the team, so I don't know if that was made up to keep the Mets honest. It's my guess that the Mets knew they could afford it and didn't want to risk losing Perez, as they valued him more than any remaining free agent. I think they decided they would rather overpay and get what they want than play chicken and risk losing.

Terrible deal for the Mets. Perez just isn't that good of a pitcher.
But his nickname is "Big Game Ollie" -- he's so clutch!

Any other year this probably wouldn't be a bad deal for a guy like him, considering the going price for average pitchers. With this market, though, you have to wonder why they didn't just roll the dice on 125 IP of Sheets rather than guaranteeing Mr. Inconsistency $36 million. Not that I'm complaining.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Archived