Brewer Fanatic

Taylor Green has wrist surgery

jjfanec

Geez he can't catch a break can he?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

To me, there are several disturbing parts to this story:

First, the team only found out about this when Green mentioned it to someone at the Winter Warm Up. Why didn't he mention it some other time this offseason, so he could at least have it looked at?

Second, why wasn't the team following up on an injury that was serious enough to end a season? I realize the responsibility falls more on the player to speak up if they're hurt, but this isn't some organizational soldier scrub, this is one of the organization's top prospects.

chuckiehacks, I don't find it disturbing. When you tweak your back, do you immediately call the doctor? No, the average person gives the body time to heal before doing that. He probably thought that it was getting better, just wasn't 100%, so he wasn't ready to see a doctor. But with spring training approaching and it not 100%, he figured it was time to say something

How can you compare the average person to a minor league prospect?

Does the average person have a trainer and team physician at their workplace? Does the average person stand to make millions of dollars if they can stay healthy and continue improving at the rate they have been already? Totally different scenarios in my mind. Maybe Green is thinking in terms of an average person still, but he is not one anymore.

I think the thing is that most athletes have aches and pains, and many in the areas where they continue to use their bodies in unnatural movements (knees, back, wrist, shoulders). The thing that may be hard to distinguish is what is lingering pain that is getting better and probably okay, versus what is red flag pain. I've posted this before, and I'm not making excuses for the Brewers, but it is inconceivable to get MRIs on every player with pain, even if limiting it certain sites (ie elbow/shoulders in pitchers, knees/wrists/shoulders in position players). Also, just getting an MRI does not reveal the condition, as many scans demonstrate abnormalities and these may not be new or significant.

Archived