Brewer Fanatic

Unemployment questions

InsomniacInkRoss

Add me to the list of recently laid off, the beer distributor I worked at merged with another and I got squeezed out. I have a few questions for people who have gone thru this

How do I apply for unemployment?

I only worked there 10-15 hours a week, do I qualify?

I do draw and income from my shirt company, does that disqualify me?

Any thoughts or help on the matter would be great, or if anyone needs someone to make beer signs 10-15 hours a week let me know.

I got all of my information from my former employer during my exit interview. Yours should have done the same, unless you don't qualify for it because you were just part time. I would call them and find out, but I would guess since it was not full time you can't qualify for unemployment.

My guess is that you wouldn't qualify. I used to work construction way back when and would get laid off over the winter months.

I am not sure a part-time job qualified for unemployment benefits. (And you would definately receive less benefits because of your other income. That said, I knew many people who just didn't report their other income. That is 100% illegal. But lets face it, there are lots of cash based transactions out there!)

Head to the Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development website to apply. It is really easy - and certainly worth the 5 minutes to find out.

I believe you would qualify, although it will most likely be for a low amount if you only worked 10-15 hours per week. Generally, they will look back at your highest reported earnings quarter from the past year, and use that to set your weekly benefit amount. When you file your claims each week, you will be asked to report any income you made from self-employment. The more money you make, the less they will pay you in a weekly benefit.

However, it's not a dollar for dollar loss. I got laid off from a job, and my weekly benefit rate was calculated. I have a new job now that pays less than my previous job, but I can still collect some of my unemployment check each week (kind of like a supplement) depending on how much I earn. Their formula is such that the first $30 you earn don't count against your unemployment weekly amount, and then each dollar you make after that only takes away $0.67 from your unemployment check.

It probably sounds confusing, but I think it's nice because this way it was actually worth it for me to take a lower paying job, rather than just staying home collecting full unemployment checks every week.

Rather than start a new thread, I'll throw my question in here.

I got laid off last Friday from my job as a Structural Engineer. I received a week's severance pay and reimbursed for unused sick and vacation days, neither of which they were required to do per the employee manual, but this was the first time in the 21 years the company had been in business that they had to let professional staff go. Okay, so here's my question, I know I can't receive unemployment this week because of the severance pay, (I already got myself in the unemployment system and the guy I talked to stated I wouldn't be able to receive benefits until the week of Feb. 15th - 21st and I couldn't file for those benefits until the 22nd), but I wanted to make sure that if I take a part time job between now and then that I won't disqualify myself from the benefits.

I don't want to end up taking a 20 hr per week job that won't get be half of what unemployment would... Can anyone else confirm what DougJones43 said about the $.67 on the dollar? (not that I don't believe you, just want reassurance)

And if anyone knows where there are Structural Engineering jobs for someone with about 2 years of experience... let me know... I basically already know if I want to stay in the Milwaukee area or move back to Madison, I won't be doing Structural Engineering...

Archived