Brewer Fanatic

Zack Greinke

The Royals are moving Grienke to the Pen because of dissapointment in his performance. I would love to see the Brewers pursue him and assign him Elmer Dessens role or assign him to AAA.

At this point, do we have the *available* goods to get a deal done? Would you offer Gwynn for Grienke? (personally I dont know that I would) Gabe Gross?

ON further review I dont know that the Royals have room for Gross or Gwynn - they really dont need another OF. But they are open to trading one of their starting arms. Per CBS

With the market for starting pitchers intensifying as the disabled list grows increasingly crowded, the Royals are willing to entertain trade offers with a surplus of seven starters, as reported by the Kansas City Star. ?We?d be open to anything,? GM Dayton Moore. ?We?ll evaluate what we have and what other clubs are willing to do to obtain what we have. Until it matches up, we?re not going to do anything." The Royals anticipate the return of rehabbing right-handers Luke Hudson and Scott Elarton and all indications suggest both will rejoin the rotation when ready.

I dont know exactly what it would take. Perhaps Hart - but again thats an OF which I dont know they need in KC. How about Rottino and Sarfate? Iribarren and Sarfate?

Grienke is only like 22 or 23, isn't he? I would think the Royals would hold onto him as long as possible, considering his ceiling has been pretty high.

Putting him in the pen? Don't know what the Royals are thinking. He's young, he was out almost all last season with "issues". Gotta let him pitch, I say. It's the Royals, for crying out loud.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Grienke would require a significant price and he wouldn't be better than Dessens this year.

I'll admit I didn't look this up, but I would venture to say that when all is said and done Grienke's worst year is better than Dessens' best.

Greinke's career ERA is 5.05 Dessens is 4.49. Greinke is obviously young enough to be better going forward, but he brings little right now.

EDIT: And too late btw. Greinke had a 5.80 ERA in 2005 while Dessens had a huge year in 2002 with a 3.03 ERA and another good year in 2005 with a 3.56 ERA (mostly in relief though)

wasn't Grienke pretty much rushed to the bigs to get experience simply because the Royals staff was so thin? on most other teams, wouldn't he still be in AAA? from everything I've ever read, he's got a huge upside.

I would think the Brewer equivalent wouldn't even be Gross, but more like Hardy.

Quote:
Graffy for JDLR?

I like this idea.

I can imagine DM calling the Royals front office and saying:

"Thanks alot for letting us borrow Graffanino. But we'd like our collateral back now. Now, now, don't be difficult. Look, we'll even throw in our last year's record in it for you so you can show the fans you're making progress."

Quote:
Greinke and Villy in the 'pen with YoGa waiting in the wings. I'd sacrifice Gross for that.

1. Yo will never pitch out of the pen.

2. To get a guy like Grienke you have to start with Inman and then start to haggle about guys like Gross, Mench and Gwynn.

They are going to want two prospects back for a young arm with MLB experience.

It amazes me how some fans thenk you can toss your trash in a bag and get back quality.

I mean Gross and Mench or Gwtynn for Greinke. If you called the KC GM with that trade he would fall out of his chair laughing.

As long as he has options, I don't know why KC would want to deal him. They aren't going anywhere until 2008, probably not 2009.

He has to have options, since he was brought up to the bigs in his 2nd season after being drafted. He has only been sent down since then one time in 2006. He's gotta have 2 options years left.

I never said Yo would pitch out of the 'pen; what I said was that Greinke and Villy would be pitching out of the 'pen, but could easily slide into the rotation if any of their cronies faltered. Furthermore, we go even deeper with YoGa waiting in AAA...to ascend to the Brew's rotation. As for Dayton Moore's asking price, while I would say it would be more than Gross, it couldn't be Inman-level, as he is considered to be one of the top 10 A-ball prospects in baseball and Greinke is going to be arguing arbitration fairly soon, negating a bit of value to a low budget team, like the KC Chiefs...err Royals.

Greinke would probably cost more in trade than he would yeild us. Id rather take on some of the royals salary and trade some prospects like maybe gwynn, dillard, and a middle infield guy like irribaren, perez, crabbe, or escobar in hopes of getting dejesus and david riske. dejesus is signed for like 4 more years at a fair price and can lead off and riske is a solid bullpen option for this year(and next if he pitches well enoough for us to pick up his option). royals would save about 5-6 million and pick up some solid prospects. if they think gwynn is a viable replacement down the line for dejesus, a gywnn, teahan, butler outfield could look nice in a few years and they lack MI prospects so maybe they would do it. We then let jenkins and mench go in the off season, and move hall to left giving us a hall dejesus hart OF with gross and nix off the bench. The only downside would be that we would have an even greater OF logjam this season. Finding PT for jenkins, hall, hart, mench, gross, and dejesus could be difficult and someone (gross or hart) would probably have to be sent down unless we could find another trading partner soon after. I guess I just salivate over a multiyear lineup of:

Dejesus

Hardy

Weeks

Fielder

Hall

Braun

Hart

Estrada

Pitcher

-Don

I mean guys there is no way the Royals trade Grienke.

The guy has one of the best arms in the AL, and the Royals have no reason not to be patient with him.

Greinke was a top prospect more because of his mind than his arm. His arm is pretty average, and his head is now completely screwed up. His stuff doesn't profile well as a reliever, as he relies on control and mixing 4 pitches, and that would be difficult to transfer to the pen. He can't even make it work on a regular rotation right now. He doesn't have a dominant pitch to rely on, like most good relievers.

I'm all for the Brewers adding to there bullpen, but Greinke is an unneeded risk for us.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Archived