Brewer Fanatic

Low water pressure in kitchen faucet - help?

And That

My fiance and I are taking care of her parents' house while they are away working in Japan. The house works well for the most part, except for that the kitchen sink faucet has been losing water pressure for the last 2-3 months and is now to the point where the most you're going to get out of it most of the time is just a small trickle. I say most of the time because occasionally (usually when it's a little warmer outside) you can get a flow of water just enough to fill a pot or do the dishes.

This drop in water pressure has equally effected the warm and cold water lines. When you can get a bit of a stream of water, if you turn the hot or cold nozzles past a certain point of "on-ness" the stream of water stops completely. There seems to be a point to where if the faucet is trying to draw too much water, it just stops drawing water altogether. I've checked the screen in the faucet and nothing seems to be blocking it.

The sink is near the end of the plumbing lines in the house, though not at the very end. The only thing after the kitchen sink on the lines is the clothes washer and wash basin downstairs (the kitchen is on the first floor and the sink is almost directly above the washer). The pressure for the washing machine/wash basin is just fine, no problems. The water pressure for the sink is independent of the washing machine - it's low whether the washing machine is drawing water or not.

My fiance's dad did the plumbing himself 8-10 years ago and I guess they've had intermittent problems with the water pressure in the kitchen faucet before, but nothing like this where the water just isn't flowing at all for the most part. As he installed it himself, I have no idea whether it's up to code or something is blatantly incorrect. If it is, I can't see it. I've checked everything I know to check, turned on and off all the water pressure valves in different combinations, and nothing seems to effect the water pressure in the kitchen.

I'm trying very hard to avoid calling a plumber - does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

The first thing I'd check is the filter/screen at the faucet nozzle; might be a case of sediment/rust/etc clogging things up right there at the tip of the faucet. Usually only takes about five second to unscrew something there at the tip and get the screen out of the way and check it out. Test the water pressure sans screen to eliminate that variable.
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

If the screen is dirty, soaking it in vinegar, CLR, or Lime Away will clean it right up.

An option would be to spend a couple of bucks on a new aerator for the end of the spout. I combine the tacks: I have a few aerators on hand. I'll soak them clean and have one handy the for next time I have a clogging issue.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

The first thing I'd check is the filter/screen at the faucet nozzle; might be a case of sediment/rust/etc clogging things up right there at the tip of the faucet. Usually only takes about five second to unscrew something there at the tip and get the screen out of the way and check it out. Test the water pressure sans screen to eliminate that variable.

I had this happen constantly in my old apartment because they'd shut the water off to fix things every few weeks and the aperture would get plugged when it turned back on. Hopefully this is the case for Toby, as a rag and pliers can do the job in under a minute.

This happened at my apartment recently. The caretaker kept claiming that the problem was the screens and that nobody else in the building was having any problems, when that clearly wasn't the case, as even the laundry room had piss-poor pressure. We had to shower with a big cup so we could rinse our hair, which was a problem because the great water pressure was one of the main reasons we chose the building we did (I take water pressure seriously). A plumber came over and emptied the screens (which I could have done and which were 99% clear) and claimed that took care of the problem. It didn't. The plumber came back and checked to make sure the pipes were turned all the way on (they were, of course), claimed that they weren't, and said that took care of the problem. It didn't. We called him again and he came over and changed some of the various gaskets and claimed that would solve everything. It didn't. He came back and changed some of the faucets, claiming again that that was that. It wasn't, of course. The water throughout the apartment was still atrocious. Just when we were about to move after a week or two, the pressure miraculously went back to previous levels. They claimed they didn't do anything, but I have to believe other people started complaining and they fixed some problem with the boiler or whatever. Not sure why the plumber kept claiming he had fixed the problem when he clearly hadn't, but oh well.

Anyway, I sympathize big time. Having no water pressure makes it difficult to do many things. I wish I could offer a sure-thing fix, but all I can really say is to try some of the things the lying plumber who came out to my place tried: screens, water shut-offs (you've tried that already though), gaskets, faucets.

I found an interesting article (that you may have already seen), that lists a couple more possible causes: water filter replacement or amateur pipe installation (which you say is the case) which led to different size pipes or over-soldering that limits water flow. He says that the problem is often a defective fixture though. Maybe try replacing that.

link: http://www.naturalhandyma...m/qa/qawaterpressure.html

He also has a link to Popular Mechanics on how to improve your water flow if you are on a well system.

• 1 month later...

I try not to create new threads when I can remember that there is an existing one that is similar to a new comment...so I brought this one from the dead.

I am having a SEVERE low water pressure problem in my entire house. We can only run one faucet at a time, if someone flushes the toilet, the faucet goes to a trickle. If someone is taking a shower, we cant do dishes, if the washing machine is running, we cant do anything, if you flush the toilet you have to wait for it to refill before brushing teeth, etc.

Now, it hasnt always been like this, the problem has gotten gradually worse over time. My house is in the middle of Oshkosh, well not the middle, but in the city. The house is in really good shape (I think) but it is 125 years old.

Any suggestions?

The quickest maybe be to check any filtering or water softening systems for sediment build up.

A bit more complex would be checking the pressure reading coming out of the pressure reducing valve (city water) or pressure tank (well). If low, the pressure relief valve may have sediment to clean out (or replace if 'gone bad') and the pressure tank could have a leak in the diaphragm that would need the whole thing to be replaced.

Disclaimer: I'm not a professional in this field, nor was I anywhere near a Holiday Inn Express last night. Just a trial-and-error, jack-of-all trades, master-of-none, that has replaced a few for friends & family (often getting helpful tips from do-it-yourselfer websites) and is just guessing at a few things to check out.

And That, is the water line leading up to the sink, galvanized or copper? If it is galvanized, there is a good chance that is your problem. They rust on the inside and slowly choke. When you see one, its pretty remarkable.
Formerly AKA Pete

Probably geared more toward AndThat's question than RyDogg66's but I heard almost the same exact question about low water pressure in one faucet on 620's Saturday morning "mr Fix it" show about two weeks ago. Their go to plumber called in and said that before replacing the whole faucet, which can get expensive, most faucets have a vaccuum seal in them which needs to be replaced every 5-10 years. He said the problem was most common in faucets with the extendable sprayer. I would actually try calling in to the show tomorrow morning if you can, just to see if they can provide you with a solution. Here is the info from the 620 website:

"Tom Feiza hosts a live radio call-in show on Newsradio 620 WTMJ. This "fix-it" program is Milwaukee's top-rated Saturday radio show with over 45,000 listeners each hour. Tom gives practical advice while responding to callers' questions on home repair and related projects. To contact Tom, call (262) 786-7878 or email tfeiza@wi.rr.com"

As I typed this I came to realize how strange it is that I'm in my late 20's and never owned a home, but I really enjoy listening to programs like this. Some how reminds me of my dad who always wanted to monkey around with stuff at our house, but never really knew what exactly he was doing. Either that or it's the fact that I only listen to AM radio, or talk channels on XM and this is the only programing available.

Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

Archived