Brewer Fanatic

Kevin Millwood

chansen

Here is a potential option. I know it could be a lot even if they end up signing Ben Sheets. They really don't have a good rotation. Anyways, I was looking into this possibility.

Their bullpen may need some more help because Joaquin Benoit may be done for the season due to an injury. Could we possibly offer them a bullpen arm and prospect(s) for Kevin Millwood?

He is due $11M in 2009 and his contract ends after the 2010 season. Send David Riske their way ($4.25M) and prospects for Millwood.

Although it would add 6+M to the payroll, our rotation would look pretty good.

As for filling the void in the bullpen, we have options.

We have Aguilar, Stetter, DeFelice, Dillard, Julio, Coffey, Villenueva, etc...

Thoughts?

True.

I may be the only one opposed to signing Sheets. I don't want him back especially after his injury. Many teams are cautious because of it and I don't want to sign him only to see him go down after 7-10 starts.

Since Melvin said he will probably not be adding another big addition, and the roster is pretty much set, I can't see them taking on another 11 million for Kevin Millwood, and especially give up Riske and prospects for him. I think if they add a free agent starter, they are looking to get one at a cheaper rate.

Millwood only makes sense if the Brewers are sending Hall or Suppan to the Rangers. Neither Hall or Suppan are anyone that the Rangers need Suppan less so. This wouldn't help the Brewers at all really other than future salary relief. Trading Hall for Millwood wouldn't make much sense at all since you will then be creating a hole at 3B. McGehee is not someone I would want to be platooning with Lamb. If the Brewers could trade Suppan for Millwood then I would be all for it. The future salary relief alone would be worth the trade. The hard part of this trade would be getting the Rangers to take Suppan.

The rotation wouldn't really change at all with trading Suppan for Millwood the Brewers would be still stuck with an expensive #5 pitcher just for a shorter time period. Trading Riske for Millwood would not be a good idea adding prospects to the deal just makes it even more of a head scratcher.

Millwood did have a 1.27 GB/FB ratio last year. I'm not opposed to trading for Millwood I just don't see anyone on the Brewers other than Hall or Suppan that the Brewers could realistically trade away to get Millwood. I was looking to much into his WHIP and ERA from last season and labeling him as an expensive #5 pitcher I probably should have looked at his FIP instead.

I do agree that moving Hall is the only way the Brewers would likely get him due to his salary. I'm just saying that he isn't a Washburn or Suppan and much, much better than say a Robertson among pitchers whose teams would like to see them sent off.

What is FIP?
From the THT website.

FIP (Link)
Fielding Independent Pitching, a measure of all those things for which a pitcher is specifically responsible. The formula is (HR*13+(BB+HBM-IBB)*3-K*2)/IP, plus a league-specific factor (usually around 3.2) to round out the number to an equivalent ERA number. FIP helps you understand how well a pitcher pitched, regardless of how well his fielders fielded. FIP was invented by Tangotiger.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

If the Brewers trade for Millwood (or Padilla for that matter) at that contract to free up money for Texas to sign Sheets, I will turn in my fan card. Millwood is basically Suppan-lite at this point (e.g. not quite as bad). He's old with a ton of mileage on his arm with a huge contract. What is there to like?

Archived