Brewer Fanatic

Phil Hughes or Ian Kennedy

jjfanec

In looking at the Yankees new rotation they have CC, Burnett, Wang, Joba and Pettitte. That leaves Kennedy and Hughes on the outside looking in at a rotation spot. CC, Burnett, Wang and Joba are all there for the next few years. That leaves Pettitte's spot as the only open one in the next couple years barring injury. They do not really need both guys although one would be good for depth. What would it take to get one of these guys. It would be nice to have a young starter with good upside (albeit coming off a rough year) to go with Yo and Manny.

Obviously, Hughes would cost more but I wonder what the cost would be right now.

I actually may think the cost could be rather low right now considering the Yankees just spent a ton of money this offseason. They probably would want Minor League talent in return. I don't think they would want Major league players because they are pretty much set. Remember, they are trying to move Nady, Swisher, and Matsui.

Anyways, I actually like what Kennedy offers compared to Hughes.

Kennedy pitched well in his first stint with the Yankees. 1-0 1.89 era in 3 starts. 2008 was a struggle in the Majors but he does have decent stuff. He does not give up a lot of home runs which is also a plus. His winter league stats were good this season (2-2 1.56 era, 1cg, 31k/12bb)

Phil Hughes is about the same stats wise with a better strikeout rate.

I would not mind throwing them Angel Salome and someone else for Kennedy.

They'll need them for trade bait at the deadline, or to fill in for injuries. They'd be silly to give them up cheaply at this point.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

I would not mind throwing them Angel Salome and someone else for Kennedy.
Salome is to much for Kennedy. Kennedy at best is a #3 pitcher he will more than likely be a #4 or #5 pitcher. Kennedy is a lot like Bush who is a #3 pitcher. Kennedy's ceiling really is at the #3 spot in the rotation while Hughes at worst would be a #3 pitcher. Hughes potential is that of a #2 or a #1 pitcher I believe Hughes is more talented than Kennedy. Hughes should be a staff ace or a #2 type of a pitcher.

Hughes and Kennedy will not come cheap and the Yankees are not set as a team. The Yankees currently have Cabrera as their best starting CF. Neither Swisher or Cabrera are not really ideal at CF even for the Yankees. Cameron would be someone the Yankees should want to have they actually need Cameron as much and possibly even more than the Brewers need Cameron.

Id still be open to trading Cameron for one of those guys. The only problem is who is going to replace him? Tony Gwynn is the only in house option. Or you could sign someone like Abreu and move Hart to center, but that makes the defense even worse.

Id still be open to trading Cameron for one of those guys. The only problem is who is going to replace him? Tony Gwynn is the only in house option. Or you could sign someone like Abreu and move Hart to center, but that makes the defense even worse.
These are my feeling exactly. With the rotation we have right now we need as good of defense as we can have and trading Cameron hurts that immensely. I would love Hughes and would take Kennedy although obviously I am not as high on him. Someone early said Kennedy project at best as a 3 and most likely is a 4/5 kind of guy. With our starting pitching in the minors being slim especially at the top levels I would love to get a guy who could be even a middle of the rotation guy. Having a number 4 starter who is young and cheap is better than having to give a free agent 5 million to come in and pitch or a giving a guy like Suppan 10 million a year.

If I was a Yankees fan, which I'm the furthest thing from, but if I was and we traded Hughes for Cameron I'd be awfully pissed. Cameron has value, but that value is limited in that he's essentially a rental player and the Yankees do not care about draft picks. Next year they'd have to go out and sign another FA pitcher or give Kennedy a shot again. I'm not a big Hughes guy at all, but he's the only one of the top 3 pitchers in the minors in 2006-2007 that hasn't done anything of substance at the MLB level yet. Lincecum and Yo have taken off... and I remember almost every pundit had them Lincecum, Hughes, then Yo. Hughes started out very strong then hurt his hamstring (wasn't it?) and has never been the same since. I don't get the Yankees at all, Hughes is becoming like Niemann forever stuck in AAA. At least TB has 4 young studs in front of him and a very capable 5th... the Yankees just signed 3 pitchers for their rotation... makes no sense. Burnett will likely get hurt though and Hughes will pitch.

I'd rather not acquire either, in fact I'd rather not ever deal with the Yankees. I could live with a Kennedy acquisition if it didn't cost much prospect wise as in Gillespie and an A baller, but if we're going to target an arm like him, why not go after Niemann from TB instead? We have a history of dealing with them, and Gross and Balfour both did a nice job for them last season... they owe us for Gross deal anyway! I know it doesn't work that way but man that trade stinks a year later.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

It would be Cameron for Cabrera and Kennedy or maybe Swisher and Kennedy. Meaning that while a downgrade the Brewers would get a stopgap until Cain would be ready.

Cameron wouldn't fetch both Swisher and Kennedy; though Kennedy and Cabrera is more likely. The Brewers would have to add in at least a low level prospect for them to give up both Kennedy and Swisher.

Kennedy would be nice to have as the #4 or #5 pitcher in the rotation and moving McClung to the bullpen. McClung would then become the 6th starter or long relief.

Wasn't the Big Three of 06-07 Bailey-Tiny Tim-Hughes? I thought Yo was more of an afterthought because he ONLY got his fastball up to the mid-90's and he didn't come with a first-round grade like those three. I still would take Yo over all three. Let me see Tony Tim tear his ACL and pitch another inning.

Wasn't the Big Three of 06-07 Bailey-Tiny Tim-Hughes? I thought Yo was more of an afterthought because he ONLY got his fastball up to the mid-90's and he didn't come with a first-round grade like those three. I still would take Yo over all three. Let me see Tony Tim tear his ACL and pitch another inning.
While I love Yo, I would take Lincecum in a heartbeat. It is interesting how hit and miss prospects are even when they are in AAA. Bailey and Hughes were ahead of Yo but both struggled mightily. Yo was hurt most of the year but still pitched more meaningful innings than Bailey. That said young arms are a premium and I would love to try and get as many as we can and see who sticks. It would be nice to develop pitching like the Twins.

You're right I had totally forgotten about Bailey... poor guy. If he ever approaches his potential CIN is going to have a real nice rotation, but it doesn't seem likely at this point... there's ups and downs, but he's been bad and worse.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

What makes sense to me would be something like Cameron and Riske for Swisher, Igawa, and Kennedy. They get the CF they want and a bullpen arm. They also get to get rid of Igawa who they don't want and Swisher who they don't need while throwing us a bone with Kennedy. It would seem fair for both sides, except to those that in my opinion .

overvalue Cameron.

As an aside, and as if the Yanks care one bit, remember CC really liked Cameron and Riske.

I like idea of trading for Kennedy or Hughes alot for Cameron alot. But if Swisher or Igawa are involed I would be more likely to pass unless it is taking on Swisher or Igawa with Hughes for Cameron that might work. However as much as everybody is complaining about Cameron's contract I would hate to see what they would do to Swisher's contract 3 years 22 million left or Igawa 3 years 12 million.

Swisher would come because the Yankees need to clear space and salary. The Yankees really have no room for Kennedy. Next year they'll have one open rotation spot assuming Pettite does call it quits.The one spot is like Hughes's but they also have Coke. Hughes has ace stuff, Kennedy has #3-4 stuff

Do I overrate what Cam means to this clubhouse? Judging from how he leads things at the Brewers Warm-up and how the young guys all seem to gravitate toward him, I think Melvin may also be weary of making a trade that even gets us better value back because there are key intangibles. He drove me nuts last year, especially in the lead off role, but I have higher expectations this year and think he can get us on a roll again.
Formerly Andersoc420

Do I overrate what Cam means to this clubhouse? Judging from how he leads things at the Brewers Warm-up and how the young guys all seem to gravitate toward him, I think Melvin may also be weary of making a trade that even gets us better value back because there are key intangibles. He drove me nuts last year, especially in the lead off role, but I have higher expectations this year and think he can get us on a roll again.
Yeah, I gotta say that I have not been the biggest Cameron supporter. However, my family and I really enjoyed his enthusiasm at the Winter Warm-up. I think he's starting to become one of my son's favorite players.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I would give up Salome for Hughes or Kennedy. If I recall we have 3 or 4 catchers in our top prospect list that was in Baseball America recently. So would it really kill us to give up Salome for pitching which we BADLY need right now?

Plus from what I understand, Salome isn't exactly a sure thing at this point.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

The Yankees will hold on to those guys to use if a need arises. They can and will get something better than a rental player like Cameron unless those guys struggle.

As for Cameron, I don't think the Brewers will get much for him but he'll be shopped at the deadline along with Kendall and one of the veteran relievers if the Brewers aren't in it. I think this year is going to be real interesting year from a roster standpoint. I expect the September lineup will have a very different look than the April lineup.

The Yankees will hold on to those guys to use if a need arises. They can and will get something better than a rental player like Cameron unless those guys struggle.

As for Cameron, I don't think the Brewers will get much for him but he'll be shopped at the deadline along with Kendall if the Brewers aren't in it. I think this year is going to be real interesting year from a roster standpoint. I think the September lineup will have a very different look than the April lineup.

Just hopefully for the better and not the worst. I'd rather not see a repeat of '06, personally.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

As for Cameron, I don't think the Brewers will get much for him but he'll be shopped at the deadline along with Kendall if the Brewers aren't in it. I think this year is going to be real interesting year from a roster standpoint. I think the September lineup will have a very different look than the April lineup.

Just hopefully for the better and not the worst. I'd rather not see a repeat of '06, personally.

It potentially will be worse than 06, but I think you'll see a lot of promise from the next wave kids that will mitigate the disappointment. It will be a lot of fun watching either Salome or Lucroy, Cain, Gamel, Escobar (maybe even Gillespie) seeing action. Who knows, by September we could get our first glimpse of Jeffress too.

I'd so give up Salome for Kennedy. For god's sake, Angel (pun intended though cheesy at best) has no position. On top of that he's a virtual midget. Angel for Ian, they'd laugh us out of town. Start naming all the great, short DHs in MLB history. No, I agree that the Yankees can afford to stand pat. They are now in the enviable position of having starting pitching depth, which will get them out of a tought spot or two during the season.

I think the Brewers will hold on to Cameron for the whole season and take a second rounder for him, or he'll accept arby and we've got him for another year at 10 to 12 million a year. As long as he's above average defensively and power-wise for a CF I'm okay with that.

Archived