Brewer Fanatic

I'll take Miguel Cabrera(Reggie White) in LF batting 5th

I'm in the group that wants the Brewers to make a big splash in the next couple of weeks. Miggy would do that and then some. Putting him in left and batting #5 would make the line up look plenty tough followed by Hall, Estrada, and Weeks/Graffy.

Miggy would still be under Brewer control through 2009, and he could also be used as trade bait, if needed in the off-season.

What will it take? For the cost conscious Marlins, good young players at a cheap price might turn their heads. Let's start with Mench, who could play everyday for them in the OF for the next 3 years. Throw Tony Gwynn in there for another quality bat. Then add Manny Parra and Cody to finish the deal. For where the Marlins are at payroll wise, this might look good to them, although they would need a 3B. For the Brewers, it would solidify the line-up and then some. The Brewers would have 4 good- great OF this year and could let Jenkins walk at the end of the year, putting money to Miggy, or trade Miggy at season's end and put the cash toward re-signing Cordero, if reasonable. Miggy could also give Braun a day off or two at third.

What's more, it gives the Brewers a veteran great bat down the stretch. It would be the Brewers version of getting that over the top guy, ala the Packers with Reggie White.

Count me in but I think it would take Inman, Jeffress, Gwynn and possibly another to get him. He is a bit of a head case but so is Manny Ramirez and he seems to show up and play. If we could get Cabrera and put him in LF we would be serious World Series contenders. So watch, the Cubs will probably get him.

With the Brewers track record as of late in the draft, there are two thoughts of reason on the subject. One, why not trade some young prospects for a great talent. In a year or two, Jack Z. and Doug will replace them anyways. Two, don't trade these great prospects because almost all(Braun, Fielder, Hart, Yo) come up and contribute right away. Put me in the former category(one). Not trading Braun, Yo, Hart, etc.... was the better move. I'm for getting us over the hump now. Who knows, it might be another 25 years until we're in first at the break again. Plus, Cabrera always could be traded again for prospects.

The Marlins seem to have a very good eye for evaluating young talent in trades... it's been a big part of what's won them two World Series titles.

They were able to get Hanley Ramirez (the guy who beat out Prince for Rookie of the Year) and others for Beckett, so I'd guess we'd have to start with the likes of Braun or Yo if we wanted to talk about trading for Cabrera.

Remember, this guy is 24 with a career OPS of .942 (.387/.545), 126 career HRs all while playing in a non-hitter friendly park. He's as young as the Brewers' infielders, only he's got 654+ games under his belt where he's played at an elite level that most All-Stars in their prime dream about.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I don't really have anything to add here, other than to say that in my last 3 years of baseball video game playing, I've traded for Miguel Cabrera with my Brewers franchise.

Usually, it does not take much more than a couple good prospects to get him....sadly, I don't think the real Marlins will be that dumb. I think we'd have to give up major league players (Gallardo, for one) to land Cabrera.

It's too bad...I'd really like to have him here.

Archived