Brewer Fanatic

Suppan's Future: SP or RP?

CheezWizHed
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I don't think its too far out of the question to have 5 better SPs than Suppan by 2010. I would hope that one of Welch, Periard, or Wright (my money is on Wright) will show enough in AAA to get a legit chance in 2010 ST. We will see how McClung handles starting. Plus, I'm guessing that one of the bigger players (Hart, Hardy, Fielder, Escobar...) gets traded next offseason. And FAs are always possible.

I started this thread just to garner some discussion on what kind of RP Suppan would be, since so many people seem bent on trading him (which I don't see happening).

Jeff Suppan rhp

4 years/$42M (2007-10), plus 2011 club option

• 4 years/$42M (2007-10), plus 2011 club option
    • [li]
    signed as a free agent 12/06
  • $1M signing bonus
  • 07:$6M, 08:$8M, 09:$12.5M, 10:$12.5M,
    11:$12.75M club option ($2M buyout)
  • full no-trade clause, 2007-08
  • limited no-trade clause, 2009-10 (may block deals to 8 clubs each year)
  • award bonuses: $0.5M for Cy Young ($0.4M for 2nd, $0.3M for 3rd, $0.2M for 4th, $0.1M for 5th); $0.25M for MVP ($0.1M for 2nd, $75,000 for 3rd); $0.1M for All Star starting pitcher ($50,000 for A-S selection); $0.1M for WS MVP; $50,000 each for Silver Slugger, Gold Glove or AP, BA, TSN, BW, USA Today All Star
  • $0.3M assignment bonus for each trade
  • perks: use of suite at Brewers home games
  • Suppan to donate $0.1M annually to club charity

[/li]

Do you think whoever did the negotiations with Suppans agent wishes he had those moments of his life back? He could have told the agent, we will give you full ownership of the team if you accomplish any one of these things... and been on to better things that afternoon. Wasn't it Christmas too? Jeez, talk about a waste of time.

Yeah, but I think most pitchers have those kind of performance clauses in their contracts. Probably most MLB players do. I remember Rob Dibble talking about how one of his contracts had a Cy Young provision in there, even though he himself knew he would never win it.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived