Brewer Fanatic

Bobby Abreu

According one of the ESPN reporters he has drop his demands to a one year deal. With the OF depth in the minors. Should the crew consider making a push for him. Obviously Hart would have to be dealt thou. //yes his defense is declining but maybe braun could move to RF. Replacing Harts OBP with Abreu's would certainly helps the offense.

Aging Abreu vs. a young Hart

I will take Corey over Bobby at this point.

Before I was all for trading Hart for pitching if we could sign Dunn. Now Abreu is different and costs a lot.

Plus, no way he is going to want to play in Milwaukee

I really think Abreu is overrated by a lot of people at this point. This will be his age 35 season, and while he still has some pop left in his bat, it's not like he is the dominant hitter he once was. I really don't see why the Brewers would have much use for him, factoring in his declining defense, either.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Abreu's fielding is just terrible.

The joke among Yankees fans the past couple years is that he's afraid of the wall. Endaround's point here cannot be stressed enough. He is an absolute joke in the field at this point. I agree with joepepsi in that if we had a DH spot, he might somehow fit in on a 1-yr. deal. But then we'd just have Overbay at 1B & Prince at DH, so... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If you can get two good young arms (#2 or #3 ceiling) for Hart I'd do it. Abreu for a year then replaced by Gillespie or Cain. What he brings offensively would fit perfectly in Milwaukee. Our defense was awful last year and we still made the playoffs, so I don't see why all of a sudden defense would be a concern.

According to Dewan's system the Brewers had the 5th best defense in the majors last year. Everything except our corner infield was good last year. I would hate to take a step back.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

weighing everything in, i'm not sure Abreu is that big a step over Hart at this point, plus Melvin said a while ago that he was only ever offered a #5-type starter for him.

and maybe Hart did forget how to hit the second half of last year, but he's still got a lot of potential to improve.

• 2 weeks later...
The Boston Globe is reporting Abreu might have to settle for a one or two year deal in the $3 million a year range. I realize thats just one mans opinion based probably on nothing, but Abreu for $3 million would be a steal. Even as a backup who plays 2 or 3 days a week. That is not a lot of money for what he would bring, and would allow us to look around at shopping Hart or Cameron for more pitching depth.

Also too, he was a type A this season. If he has a decent year he might be a type A again. Even if he accepts arbitration, at $3 million a year this year he wouldn't command a killer contract, plus you'd have an outfield spot open with the loss of Cameron and if Hart bounces back and increases his trade value could always consider trading him as well. I know its a lot of unknown for the 2010 season already, but I would have been willing to offer Abreu $8 million for a year earlier in the offseason. If you can get him for less than half of that, why not? Its not like he's a risk. He's been putting over very solid numbers and although they have been declining a bit, he's still a very solid offensive player.

Abreu's fielding is just terrible.

The joke among Yankees fans the past couple years is that he's afraid of the wall. Endaround's point here cannot be stressed enough. He is an absolute joke in the field at this point. I agree with joepepsi in that if we had a DH spot, he might somehow fit in on a 1-yr. deal. But then we'd just have Overbay at 1B & Prince at DH, so... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

The fact that "he's afraid of the wall" might have helped him play in 150 or more games for 12 straight years. Abreu's been very, very durable. I heard Jon Heyman of SI on the radio a couple weeks ago, and he made the point that except for the "fear of the wall", Abreu's a fine outfielder. He's got a strong arm and can still run. He also pointed out that because he was a Yankee, the "fear of the wall" stuff gets way too much attention and over the course of a season, it means 5 or 6 would be outs turn into doubles. Considering the offense he provides, I could live with that.

Hart will not bring back 2 pitchers at this point
Yeah, that's the thing: I just don't what the return would be on Corey.

If' Corey Hart has so little trade value, that's a sign to me that the Brewers need an upgrade in RF and Abreu is an upgrade. I'd have no problem with Corey Hart as the 4th OF. Now that would be depth.

A Hart/Abreu platoon would be good, especially because you can give Braun a rest every now and then and Hart can even play a little center field. Abreu I think would be an ideal #3 hitter behind Hardy and in front of Braun and Fielder.

Archived