Brewer Fanatic

Who's in your AAA starting lineup?

With an option remaining, there's virtually no need to consider releasing Pena regardless of his spring training performance.
I was under the impression Pena had used up all his options.

If he does indeed still have one, I'll amend my comment about his being released but he still won't make the Nashville roster, he'll be back in Huntsville.

3jack, are you a friend of Omar Aguilar, or are you just a big fan? I was just wondering because all of our posts so far have been about him.

Have you seen him play, and if you have can you give us a little scouting report on him?

A friend yes. Actually his H.S. baseball coach. Obviously I have seen him play many times and have nothing but good things to say. Great kid that comes from a great family from a small town.....was an absolute beast in HS....worked at about 89-92 then and at about 91-94 in JC. He was drafted from our place in 2003 (27th round) as a draft and follow by the Giants.

Played at Merced JC and was really highly touted there. The Giants made a big push to sign him before he entered the draft the next year but he didn't sign.....they (Giants) again drafted him in the 8th and really low-balled him with their offer because they knew he really didn't want to go back to school. I think they kinda balckballed him, putting out the word that he wanted $1M+ when that wasn't the case.

He went back to Merced JC and had arm problems which is why his stock dropped so much. I really feel the Brewers got a steal in the 30th round or whatever.....had Tommy John, rehabed and is back to full strength.

He looks really good now. I know that some people have voiced some concern about his physical make up, but I can tell you that he is built like a stinkin' bull. I made the comparason to Zambrano the other day not realizing that Zambrano was 6'5....Omar is about 6'0 or so and really built like a power pitcher. Funny thing about the Zambrano thing, when Omar was back at the Player Development Seminar a couple weeks ago in Washington, he ran across a Cubs fan that thought he was Zambrano and was asking him to sign a bunch of Cubs stuff.....didn't do it but a funny story.

Since the Arizona Fall League he has been working out at Merced College and he comes to our place once a week or so and throws and works out with our club and looks really good....

He's a great guy (I am obviously a lot biased given the situation) He has that "it quality" about him. He's a real people person that teammates have always gravitated too......He really likes the organization and has nothing but good things to say about the people in the organization and the people of Milwaukee (he was at the fan fest last weekend)

I wish him and the Brewers (my adopted team....I'm from California and a rabid Giants fan) all the success in the World this next season!

Coach Winton

It looks like Gwynn is also out of options. Would the Brewers really consider Gwynn as an option as the 4th/5th OF? I would think that Iribarren would be more of an option as the 4th/5th OF option. Iribarren can play in the IF and the OF while Gwynn would only be in the OF.

Would anyone even claim Gwynn on waivers?

• 2 weeks later...

Wright and now Green will provide some very nice depth to the pieces already in place in DiFelice, Narveson, Brae Wright, David Welch and Sam Narron, assuming none of them makes the big-league club out of spring training. The same is true of the bullpen, with a mix of players that aren't going to make the big-league team and players on their way up. The upper-level talent of starting pitchers isn't particularly encouraging, but hopefully they have enough bodies to carry the team through in the event of emergencies and ineffectiveness.

The Brewers really need guys like Jeffress and Periard to step up over the course of the 2009 season, and hopefully both of them will be in the mix for the AAA rotation by midseason.

I live in Nashville, and most of the lineups look fairly accurate, although I still don't see Gamel starting AAA right out of the gate with his injury and all. Nelson has a great bat down here. It's kind of funny how everyone wants to come down here and I want to go up there.
Nashville winters are WAY better than Milwaukee winters.

Archived