Brewer Fanatic

Who's in your AAA starting lineup?

I'll take a stab at it, although I'm probably completely wrong at some positions because I'm doing it mostly from memory. Feel free to correct me.

C: Salome

1B: Errecart

2B: Iribarren

SS: Escobar

3B: Gamel

LF: Gillespie

CF: Cain

RF: Katin

SP: Chris Capuano

SP: Chris Narveson

SP: David Welch

SP: Sam Narron

SP: Brae Wright

RP: Joe Batemann

RP: Omar Aguilar

CL: Luis Pena

I made some edits after further research.

1. Cain CF
2. Escobar SS
3. Salome C
4. Gamel 3B
5. Nelson 1B
6. Gillespie LF
7. Iribarren 2B

I got stumped after that. I'm just being very optimistic that Cain and Gillespie will be playing in AAA to start the year but if they are not starting the year in AAA they should be there rather quickly. I believe Nelson and Iribarren need to be on the MLB roster or they become free agents? That makes it even more complicated maybe farther into spring training will sort out who will be playing in AAA.

I bet Gwynn will be starting in AAA more than he will be playing for the Brewers. Iribarren was a lock I believe at making the MLB roster untill Counsell was resigned.

I believe you guys are right in that both Nelson and Iribarren would have to clear waivers. I don't think Nelson would (I think a MLB team would at least five him a half year to prove himself before he becomes a AAAA player) though Iribarren might. I guess we'd have to assume neither would be on the AAA roster, which would likely put Mike Bell as the 2B starter, and he did play fairly well last year as the starter at AA.

Also, I think Gillespie is a lock to be a starter for AAA. Cain I am guessing gets pushed up as well unless he has a really bad spring.

I think Iribarren would clear waivers. He's really nothing special and wouldn't have much value on another team's 25 man roster. Nelson, on the other hand, will probably be our top left handed bat off the bench as a Darryl Ward type player with a lot more value. I could easily see Hurricane back in Nashville next year after nobody wants him.

Starters

C - Angel Salome

1B - Scott Thorman

2B - Adam Heether

3B - Mat Gamel

SS - Alcides Escobar

LF - Cole Gillespie

CF - Chris Duffy

RF - Brendan Katin

Backups

C - Vinny Rottino

MI - Johnny Ash

UI - Casey McGehee

OF - Jason Bourgeois

Pitching

SP - Mark DiFelice

SP - Chris Narveson

SP - Brae Wright

SP - David Welch

SP - Sam Narron

RP - Omar Aguilar

RP - Luis Pena

RP - Lindsey Gulin

RP - Tim Dillard

RP - Joe Bateman

RP - Chris Smith

RP - Richie Gardner

Iribarren and Nelson are both lost via waivers or traded unless Hernan beats out Gwynn for the 25th roster spot. I'd be somewhat surprised if the Brewers push Cain up to AAA after 148 AA at-bats and his AFL campaign, though with a good spring it's a possibility.

C: Salome
1B: Thormon
2B: Bourgois
SS: Escobar
3B: Gamel
LF: Gillespie
CF: Cain
RF: Nixon

Bench: Heether, Duffy, Maghee, Rottino, Katin

1: Gulin
2: Wright
3: Welch
4: Narron
5: Ginter
Bateman, Dillard, Swindle, Smith, Ungs, Pena, Aguilera

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Iribarren and Nelson are both lost via waivers or traded unless Hernan beats out Gwynn for the 25th roster spot.
Iribarren should beat out Gwynn for the 25th roster spot. If anything Iribarren would be replacing Durham/Dillon from last year. Iribarren brings more value to the Brewers than Gwynn does. Everything that Gwynn can do Iribarren basically can do plus a little bit more. Even with Counsell signed by the Brewers Iribarren can still make the team as a super utility player. I believe Iribarren replaces Durham from last year and McGehee replaces Dillon.

I surely hope McGehee doesn't make the Big League Team. He sounds like another Trent Durrington. I'd rather keep Nixon. We already have Hall and Lamb at 3B. I can see the argument for Iribarren though because he's at least shown some hitting in the minors although last year was a lost season for him.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Also, wasn't it announced that Cappy would be starting the year in AAA or did I miss something?
I doubt Cappy starts the year anywhere but extended ST. I don't think he will have recovered enough to pitch until May/June.

How do people compare Nelson to Errecart? Seems like they are pretty similar guys (save for the R/L difference).

Nelson is the better hitter, he has much better plate discipline.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Errecart really struggled after coming back from a wrist injury. With the next closest first base prospect yet to play a game in A-ball (Brock Kjeldgaard) and Thorman in AAA, there's no reason to bump up Errecart yet. Once he proves he's back and adjusted from his wrist injury, sure.

If Capuano is able to start with a full-season club straight out of spring training, great. However I'll put that in the "believe it when I see it file" somewhere before Mark Rogers' entry.

Matt Ginter could definitely make the AAA club over Gardner or Narron, or take DiFelice's spot should Mark make the Brewers' roster.

Nelson's outfield defense isn't good. If he makes the club, it would be almost solely as a PH.

Oh, I agree but neither Hart nor Braun should be expected to play less than 155 games assuming Hart rounds into any decent shape. So if Nelson can do a Matt Stairs circa 2004 impersonation for 12 games or fewer I think it would be fine.

Is DiFelice signed to a minor league deal? I hope he can start AAA at Nashville, as he would give us someone to bring up if an injury occurs. I agree that Cappy starting the season in Nashville is wishful thinking.

The Brewers are definitely building a decent group of relievers. I hope that means we won't have to spend much on a ajor league bullpen for the foreseeable future.

The Sounds should be fun to watch this year. I'll have to try to convince the wife to take a trip down to see them.

With the next closest first base prospect yet to play a game in A-ball (Brock Kjeldgaard)

I hope he someday makes it to the majors just for his name.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

C Salome

1B Nelson

2B Bourgeois

SS Escobar

3B Gamel

RF Iribarren

CF Cain

LF Gillespie

Bench: Corporan, Duffy, Thorman, Heether, Katin

Rotation:

DiFelice

Wright

Welch

Narron

Gulin

Bullpen

Dillard

Bateman

Reith

Swindle

Aguilar

Smith

Narveson

The guy I have (that nobody else has) is Carlos Corporan. Corporan has steadily but unspectacularly moved through every level in the Brewer system. He was listed in BA as being the best defensive catcher in the Brewer system. He's no doubt no more than an organizational soldier, but with his experience, he's the perfect guy to backup Salome. The Brewers will want a defensive minded catcher mentoring Salome. Corporan can hit a bit too, having improved every time he repeats a level.

I believe Rottino will be released in spring training. His ship has sailed.

I think either McGehee or Bourgeois is going to make the Brewer roster. I think they'll go north with just 11 pitchers so I'm giving the nod to McGehee. If they go north with 12 pitchers, I think Bougeois makes the roster over Gwynn. Right now it's 50-50 in my mind. In that case, I stick McGehee at 2B for Nashville.

I'm assuming Nelson and Iribarren pass through waivers but not Gwynn who will be odd man out if Bourgeois makes the team. SD will claim him.

I think they'll give up on Pena and he'll be released too.

Archived