Brewer Fanatic

Cheer me up? Cute Girls destroy Elliott Smith.

EdgarDiazRocks

Had a rough day.? Need cheering up so I searched youtube for cute girls with guitars butchering "Between the Bars"? I don't think the song means what they think it means.

the original....mean as hell.

Number 2.- "I can't believe he stabbed himself in the chest, but whatever"? OUCH MY EARS!

No. 3 - EMOTE BABY!

No.4 - FIND A SOUND LEVEL!

No. 6 - The professional, "Hey wait a minute, this aint bad at all!" version.

But of course to make up for that, here's two high schoolers destroying "I Figured You Out"

You can thank me later.

I feel kinda lame asking (I can't really get into his music but I know he was very talented) but what exactly is this song about? Between the bars...prison or alcoholism or both? Or is it something else and not appropriate to discuss on these boards?

guess i don't see it quite as strongly as alcoholism, but that it's a chick in a bar getting drunk because of the jerk guys in her life, and in comes Elliott Smith, pretending not to be one of those jerk guys, but really is.

I agree the next to last girl was really cool. although i thought blondie had a decent voice, though it's hard to mix Good Will Hunting shoutouts with serious songs.

I know a girl who is what this song is about. She's now 31, and still getting plastered every weekend in some dive with a band playing. She doesn't want to be this person anymore, but this is the only thing she knows and she can't break the comfortable, so she goes there and secretly hopes she'll meet someone who'll save her, not realizing that that stage of life is over and it's time to move on.

The next to last video is very well done - the girl has a Jolie Holland thing going for her.

Her "Creep" cover aint half bad either

That last one reminds me of these two.
The last one is the real gem. These two seem to be working out the song (which is about being someone's backup plan) in real life. The dude actually ain't half bad so I imagine this happened like this.

DUDE: Umm, Hi Julie. I was thinking about being in the talent show. would you like to sing with me?

JULIE: Maybe, what song are we doing?

DUDE: A very obscure Elliott Smith song he wrote for Mary Lou Lord.

JULIE: Who?

DUDE: She's famous for sleeping with Kurt Cobain.

JULIE: Oh COOL!! I'm in! Will Steve be there, you think?? He kinda Looks like Kurt Cobain, don't you think?

Really, fast forward to about 2:20 where she's totally indifferent and he's really working out the ending. One of those two is FEELING this song.

Archived