Brewer Fanatic

Deal Capuano to make room for Gallardo

Which team would have the most interest in Cappy at the deadline this year? The Mets obviously come to mind. The Yanks??? I think we can all agree on the player that the 'stache should be asking for if he has to deal with the Evil Empire, though the DL'ed One in even more untouchable now than he was this past offseason. Then again, going back to the NL East, imagine the 'stache playing the Phils, the Mets, the Braves, and the Fish off eachother... All four have good farm systems with mineable nuggets.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody agreed with me about moving Cappy a few weeks ago, I wonder if anybody has changed there mind? I was told a few weeks ago not to deal him when his value is at its lowest, only to see it go lower. What will he be worth in the offseason after he spends the last month and a half of the season as a bullpen mop-up guy?

Many desperate teams won't be too concerned about a few bad outings, but a few more and they'll cross him off there list.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Nobody agreed with me about moving Cappy a few weeks ago, I wonder if anybody has changed there mind

Not me.

I was told a few weeks ago not to deal him when his value is at its lowest, only to see it go lower.

More reason not to trade him.

What will he be worth in the offseason after he spends the last month and a half of the season as a bullpen mop-up guy?

He won't. I know many get tired of it, but his FIP (4.38 ) is better than his ERA (5.16), and that 4.38 is about how we should be expecting Cappy to pitch.

We are just on the low part of the rollercoaster...

Quote:
He won't. I know many get tired of it, but his FIP (4.38 ) is better than his ERA (5.16), and that 4.38 is about how we should be expecting Cappy to pitch.

We are just on the low part of the rollercoaster...

His ERA after the break the last 3 years is over 5, why are you expecting a 4.38 ERA?

Quote:
More reason not to trade him.

The trade isn't just for the returns, its to get him out of the way for pitchers who can actually help us to the postseason.

Someone will have to be dealt before next season to open spots for the youngsters, and you wouldn't want to deal Cappy in the offseason when his trade value will be even lower. Melvin has said repeatedly pitchers are worth more in season.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I sure hope Melvin and Co. don't have the same attitude that a lot of people around here do...that everything is OK, and everything will work itself out. Capuano has no business being in the rotation right now, especially with better alternatives already in house...if that isn't at least somewhat of a reason to consider trading him, I don't know what is.

Those that think it'll just work itself out better hope it does so soon...the Cubs won't hesitate to add more pieces for their run at the division.

Personally, I'm sick of watching, or not watching for that matter, Yo spoil out in the pen. At least get the kid a start here and there, he can't do any worse than What Cappy's done since last July. Not to mention he could be developing even further down in AAA if he's just going to sit in the Crew's pen and waste.

After further review mods feel free to move this to the vent thread if you so please.

I would think that with Buerle signed to an extention, Capuano would instantly become the top lefty on the trade market, though Dontrelle could conceivably also form an argument for his coronation. Nevertheless, our Blue Devil would still bring a good haul. The Mets are showcasing Milledge now, and the Yanks are now getting Hughes back in the fold. Options aplenty, just don't pull a Bowden at the deadline (though Soriano HAD to be traded while Cappy doesn't...).

I sure hope Melvin and Co. don't have the same attitude that a lot of people around here do...that everything is OK, and everything will work itself out.

I sure hope Melvin and Co. don't have the same attitude that a lot of people around here do...that the sky is falling and we should be benching, DFAing, or optioning everyone who is struggling a bit and replacing them with options that might not actually be better.

After all, a large segment of the posting population here has been predicting the Brewers' fall into 2nd place in the division to happen on various dates during the last two months....

Peaveyfury,

Capuano isn't "struggling a bit". The Brewers are 0-9 in his last 9 starts, just 2 of which were quality starts and in which 5 of the 9, he hasn't gotten past the 4th inning.

That's struggling big time. Stick him in the pen. Go with the guy who is 3 for 3 in quality starts, and worry about preserving his innings after the division is clinched.

I sure hope Melvin and Co. don't have the same attitude that a lot of people around here do...that the sky is falling and we should be benching, DFAing, or optioning everyone who is struggling a bit and replacing them with options that might not actually be better.

I notice you left out trading...which is what this thread is about I thought. Capuano is not "struggling a bit." He's terrible right now. The Brewers haven't won a game where Capuano has taken the mound in over two months.

I'm not saying he'll be terrible forever, and hopefully a team or two think that way as well. Because with the options already available on the roster to replace him, trading him should be seriously considered. They can't afford to wait until he gets things straightened out.

I keep hearing that the Brewers are 8 or 9 deep as far as starting pitchers go...and that they are the envy of the rest of Major League Baseball. And while I agree somewhat that they do indeed have more options than most teams, the reality is that starting pitching is causing this team to lose a lead in the division that should not be evaporating so fast.

I just can't stand it in sports when there is a major problem and an organization may already have a solution to that problem, but that organization keeps trotting the problem out there...trading Capuano alleviates that issue.

And I'm not saying just give him away.

Quote:
After all the Cubs got better after they moved Zambrano and his stinky ERA to the bullpen!

ERAs after the break from 2004-2006

3.04 Zambrano

5.13 Capuano

Endaround, Your a well respected poster here, so I'll give you a mulligan for that sarcatic comment that really missed the boat. Zambrano has gotten a tick stronger as the season wheres on historically, where as Capuano loses it pretty bad.

Right now everyone is pinning hopes on Yo or CV to step and take over. IMO that is not a sure option, Yo got hit hard his first time out of the pen and CV became a christmas tree last night. The league will get a better book on Yo as he pitches so his domination will not come easy like a lot of people thinkit will.

Cappy is looking terrible, but his veteran status will give him a couple of more outings before things get changed.

Quote:
I still think Capuano will turn it around....I mean he was our best pitcher the past 2 years...

His overall numbers were good overall thanks to very good 1st halves, but what are you basing he will turn it around on?

I sure hope Melvin and Co. don't have the same attitude that a lot of people around here do...that everything is OK, and everything will work itself out.

So if we don't make any major moves, and we make the playoffs, will you admit you were wrong?

Many players have went through very rough weeks and months, and then snapped back out of it. These last few weeks have convinced you that Capuano will never be better than a 5 or 6 ERA pitcher? And again, who's to say Gallardo or even Villy will be better than a 4.5 ERA starter?

If you would trade Capuano now for junk, just to "get him out of here", then I'm glad you aren't Doug Melvin. We'd be seeing Capuano pitch elsewhere next season (or maybe the rest of this season) with his usual low-mid 4 ERA while we pay Vargas over $4 mil to put up a 5 in Milwaukee. Then we'd trade him for garbage too. Soon, we'd be left with nothing but garbage.

Maybe I'm a little too harsh on you there, but like I said, we are just on the bottom of the rollercoaster right now.

Quote:
We'd be seeing Capuano pitch elsewhere next season (or maybe the rest of this season) with his usual low-mid 4 ERA while we pay Vargas over $4 mil to put up a 5 in Milwaukee.

Why do you think Cappy would have a mid to low 4 ERA the rest of this year when his history shows he wilts in the 2nd half, producing a 5.13 ERA over the last 3 years. All indicators are he'll do that, or worse, the rest of this year.

Also, why does dealing Cappy mean we'll keep Vargas? Do you think we'll keep both CV and Parra out of the rotation next year?

Have you considered the possibility that Capuano could be packaged with some of our depth to get a good starting pitcher?

Why do you think Cappy would have a mid to low 4 ERA the rest of this year when his history shows he wilts in the 2nd half, producing a 5.13 ERA over the last 3 years. All indicators are he'll do that, or worse, the rest of this year.

What's to say first/second half splits will carry over from year to year? All indicators said he'd have a very nice first half, and that didn't really happen.

Also, why does dealing Cappy mean we'll keep Vargas? Do you think we'll keep both CV and Parra out of the rotation next year?

Remember 2006? You can never have enough pitching. We had "enough" starters last December, but then DM signed Suppan anyway. Parra is no lock to do much of anything at the big league level yet.

Have you considered the possibility that Capuano could be packaged with some of our depth to get a good starting pitcher?

Okay, who's available?

We watched Chris Young do the exact same thing here in Texas for 2 years. The Rangers decided that he would never be anything more than a first half pitcher. They also decided that Adrian Gonzales was a kid who would NEVER hit for power, so he'd never amount to anything. So they suckered the Padres into trading Akinora Otsuka and Adam Eaton for those 2 guys who would never make it. Fans here in Texas were sure they had just fleeced the Padres. A year and a half later, there''s a different spin going around about that deal's "success."

I just can't stand it in sports when there is a major problem and an organization may already have a solution to that problem, but that organization keeps trotting the problem out there...trading Capuano alleviates that issue.

It's just interesting that the same exact things were being said about Dave Bush not 3-4 weeks ago, and since then, he's been our 2nd best pitcher.

Quote:
We watched Chris Young do the exact same thing here in Texas for 2 years.

Young never once had a 5 ERA in the 2nd half in his career. Capuano's average 2nd half is over 5.

Young has been worse in the 2nd half every year, but never as bad as Cappy, he is just a better overall pitcher.

Quote:
I think the entire rotation except Ben has been demoted to the 'pen or released by many.

Many predicted Vargas would get worse, and he did. What side were you on with that one? Many wanted Bush out, but that wasn't you or me, because the evidence suggested he'd return to normal. He did.

Unfortunately, normal for Cappy has been worse than we need for the stretch run. The evidence suggests that Cappy will be part of the problem, so trading him is part of the solution.

Archived