Brewer Fanatic

Mark Loretta

The Astros, unless somebody has whitewashed over the writing on the wall and they can't read it, will be sellers this year. I have read a few rumors that they might want to trade Loretta.

The Crew obviously has no pressing need for him, but he would be an upgrade over Graffanino (who I like well enough, but he's no Loretta). Loretta is only a year older, has better lifetime batting and fielding numbers, and is 1M cheaper.

So would that be too expensive a move to make? Would the Astros take Graffy, cash, and a Cappelan/Aquino/SomeOtherGuy as a trade? If you're Doug Melvin do you do this?

This isn't as much of a suggestion as a "wondering what you all think?" post. I have always been impressed with Loretta (except when he grounded out to lose the last game at County Stadium. Sue me, I'm easily embittered.)

I guess I was thinking that they'd still need a utility IF to replace Loretta for this year (both are just 1 year contracts I believe).

Loretta is still a 35 year old rental IF and I don't think he'd command that much in a trade. We paid a struggling JDLR for a utility IF last year.

You are not goning to get Loretta for Graffy. For the very little gain you might get with Loretta over Graffy, you are going to have to give up some kind of prospect to do this and I don't think you get the value.

1. Lo would be a nice addition.

2. The Crew has no interest in a 3rd backup IF, barring injury.

3. If they would replace Counsell or Graffy, they wouldn't do it with Loretta, he's basically the same player. Now if a RH hitter with some pop became available...

Graffanino outhit Loretta in 2005 and 2006, so I don't see the upgrade. Graffanino is red hot right now. Odds are pretty decent that Graffy will outhit Loretta for the rest of 2007. I like Loretta, but we already have a guy like him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I don't know how Loretta would fit in with this team considering we already have Graffanino and Counsell, but I will admit that it would be nice to reacquire either Loretta or Cirillo as we make a playoff push late in the season.

I just kind of think it would be nice to have one of our long time veteran guys come back and finally get into the postseason as a Brewer after all the years of losing they endured here.

From a sentimental standpoint, it would be a nice story.

Quote:
isn't that pretty much trading an apple for an apple?

Yes. Except that one of the apples has a better life time OBP and fielding numbers. Slugging-wise it's almost a wash.

I get what people are saying in that it probably wouldn't be that cost-efficient for what would probably be only a minimal upgrade. I guess a lot of my suggestion was based on sentimentality. And it always just seems to me that Loretta is going to get a hit, and I don't think that about Tony (again, who I like well enough.)

But I do wonder if we'll see one of these less-than-sexy, lower impact trades this year. Last year DM's hand was forced becaus of injuries. I'm suspecting we won't see many lower visibility trades (aside from the obvious get rid of an OF if possible for a RP) just because the chemistry and production are probably decent enough compared to what we'd have to pay.

Thanks for your comments everybody.

I like the idea of bringing Lo back not the Graffy has been bad but while Graffy has had a few seasons where he was starting quality Lo really was a starting caliber player for about 8 years.

Career number comparison

Lo .300/.365/.403

Graffy .268/.337/.396

The team could really use that OBP difference and the batting average difference is very nice for a bench bat Graffy has more raw power, but I think I'd rather have our pinch batter come in and draw a walk and let Hart take a shot at a HR then have our utility INF try and be the big hero.

As far as a deal I think a straight up swap plus a player like Nix or Nelson or Crabbe has enough to balance out and give the Astros a player with giving some time to. At the same time we are not giving up anything major.

Loretta certainly seems durable, as he survived that shin collision with Prince.

My heart says "oh, please", because I've always liked him as a player - not unlike the way I like Cirillo. But I won't base my future happiness on such a transaction.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry. I was looking through both threads and I posted my above reply in the wrong thread.

In any case, at this point I'm fine with Graffy. I like Lo and all, but unless the Astros were giving him away, I don't think he's that much of an upgrade. (of course watch Graffy go off his hot streak past the trading deadline.)

Archived