Brewer Fanatic

Griffey?

DHonks
So I'm looking at the mlbtraderumors site and realizing Griffey has few bidders. If he'd take an inexpensive 1 year deal, he could be a solid 4th OF, playing roughly 6-7 games every two weeks. He has lost a step in CF, but can likely DH in interleague games, play RF a couple days a week vs tough righties, and play 1 day a week in CF. Throw in his bat off the bench.

I'm not sure Griffey would take a 4th OF deal. If he would, it might not be a bad idea. I'm pretty sure I like the idea.

JB12, I'll usually find myself agreeing with your points of view. However, Griffey hit .250 w/ 17 HRs & 70 RBIs last year. Nixon couldn't break into the bigs from AAA.

A trade of Suppan or Hall (or Cameron, I suppose) would probably be necessary to clear payroll to add KG jr., too, based on Mark A's & Melvin's comments this weekend. On the other hand, we also have enough "solid clout" veterans (Kendall, Cameron, now Hoffman) that all it might take is a phone call from a couple of those guys to convince Griffey or someone of that stature that Milwaukee is the right type of place and the right type of team to sign with. An incentive-heavy deal might do the trick.

"Nixon couldn't break into the bigs from AAA".

Maybe so, but he had an OPS over 1.000 at AAA and he's already Brewer property. If you don't like Nixon, then claim Jenkins when he's waived. If you could clear payroll, there's a lot of guys out there I'd use that money on before Griffey. Griffey's numbers weren't all that bad, but if you watched him much, he doesn't have it any more.

I didn't say they should claim Jenkins, Dhonks, I was just pointing out that if you wanted an over the hill outfielder, you can get them cheaper than having to clear salary to sign one.

But since you mentioned it, how are Jenkins' numbers his last year in Milwaukee, (.255/.319/.471, 21 HR, 64 RBI) any worse than Griffey in 08 (.249/.353/.424, 18 HR, 71 RBI) or certainly aren't Jenkins' 07 numbers better than what Nixon put up that year (.251/.342/.336, 3 HR, 31 RBI) ?

Nixon, while not much, probably can give them as much as Griffey can at this point and maybe a little more.
Based on what? Griffey had an .829 OPS in the second half of the season last year, and a .777 OPS overall. In 07' he had an .868 OPS. Trot Nixon had a .678 OPS in 07', his last season where he saw significant AB's.

I know he has slowed down a bit, but I don't think its fair to say that Nixon is close to the player that Ken Griffey Jr. is.

Archived