Brewer Fanatic

Winter Warmup Recap

MickeyDavis

Here is a recap of the event at the Riverside last night. I probably missed a few things, The show went about 2 1/2 hours.

Started out with highlights from the 2008 season.

Uecker came out and did a monologue. Very funny. Many jokes had been heard before but still funny.

They had a talk show type set, desk, couch, etc...

First out was Attanasio. Uecker interviewed him for 5-10 minutes. Nothing newsworthy.

First two players out were Yo and Manny. Ueck talked with them about 10 minutes. Nothing very interesting.

Uecker leaves. Out come Brian Anderson and Davey Nelson. Davey is always good for some flubs. They do a roundtable with Melvin, Macha and Willie Randolph. They took a few questions from the crowd. Someone asks Melvin what his backup plan was for losing CC. Melvin said he tried out Mark Tauscher but he couldn't throw a slider and his changeup sucked.

Comedian Fred Klett comes out (who?). VERY FUNNY. Mixed in Brewers/baseball jokes with regular jokes. He's originally from Milwaukee, opened for Seinfeld. He said shortly after the Brewers called to book him for tonight the Yankees called and offered him $161 million to do their winter warmup instead but he turned them down.

Next up is the "Dating Game" with J.J. Hardy. Fred Klett is the MC. Before they start he tells J.J. that it isn't fair that he makes so much money AND is good looking. He says for every million JJ makes they should put a scar on his face. Dating game is pretty funny. Four hot chicks. J.J. asks a couple of somewhat funny questions. But Klett keeps things hilarious with his comments.

Intermission.

Klett does some more jokes.

Davey does a brief interview with Prince. Davey: "Did it feel good to sign that new contract"? Prince: "Hell yeah". I've heard reports that Prince has lost some weight. Couldn't really tell. Baggy shirt.

Next is a Family Feud show hosted by Bill Schroeder. Canadians vs. Americans. For the Canadians it's Melvin, Gord Ash, Taylor Green and Rickie Weeks. For the Americans it's Suppan, Hart, Cameron and Dave Bush. Since there weren't enough Canadians they threw Weeks on the Canadian team. Bill asks him if he's ever been to Canada or ever wants to go to Canada. Weeks says no to both. So Melvin trades him to the other team for Dave Bush since Bush pitched in Canada. American team wins in a shut out. Gord Ash is clueless. Name something you put cheese on. Ash: "Hot Dog". Cameron is great, showing the most enthusiasm of any player.

They showed the top plays of 2008 and fans voted. Brauns walkoff homerun vs. Pittsburgh wins over Kaplers catch in Los Angeles.

Uecker is back and out comes Braun. Easily the largest ovation. Uecker and Braun talk for about 10 minutes.

Then it's time to close the show and of course you need the closer so out comes Trevor. All dressed up in a suit. The rest of the guys had dress pants and untucked dress shirts (except Cameron in jeans). But Trevor has a suit on. He said it was Cameron who convinced him that Milwaukee was a great place to play and a fun place to play. At that point all of the players come out for a final bow. Cameron goes up to Hoffman and untucks his shirt.

I know that he basically had to say it for comedy's sake, but it bothered me that Rickie said he has never been to Canada. He played in Toronto a couple of years ago. I think it was mainly my distaste for Rickie but that made me kind of mad that he said he hadn't even though we all know he had. But like I said he had to say it for comedy's sake. A great show overall though.

Next up is the "Dating Game" with J.J. Hardy. Fred Klett is the MC. Before they start he tells J.J. that it isn't fair that he makes so much money AND is good looking. He says for every million JJ makes they should put a scar on his face. Dating game is pretty funny. Four hot chicks. J.J. asks a couple of somewhat funny questions. But Klett keeps things hilarious with his comments.
The girl he picked is a friend of my ex wife. My ex always gave me crap because I had a massive crush on her.

It was much funnier than I was expecting. The interviews with Ueck were a little disappointing because Ueck did too much talking. He didn't really give the guys a chance to answer.

I specifically noted that Prince looked smaller.

Mike Cameron moved way up my list of favorite Brewers last night. First of all, he was in the lobby, chillin' when we walked in. He was just talking to people and drinking a beer. During the Family Feud style game show, one of the questions was about Canadian bands and there was a band on stage that played intros and outros, so he "cheated" and went over there to get the answer from them. He got gypped out of his turn at the podium and was "upset" about it, complaining to the rest of the guys on his team and Rickie had to put his hand over the microphone so no one could here Cam.

I took some pics, including Cam in the lobby, which I'll try to get uploaded in the next day or so.

I know that he basically had to say it for comedy's sake, but it bothered me that Rickie said he has never been to Canada. He played in Toronto a couple of years ago.
Yeah, that raised red flags for me too, since I traveled for those games (it was my 30th birthday; great fun up there, got to see Big Ben beat Halladay, etc) and I remember being pretty excited since it was the first time I'd gotten to see him and Prince play.

Anyway, just jokes, it doesn't bother me at all--why would it even if he didn't remember?

It will be on Friday January 30th from 9-10 PM on FSN.

Anyone know if Dish Network will carry this? They have FSN North which is all Minnesota stuff. They only show the Brewers and Bucks live games on the alt channels, and last year the Winter Warmup showed up on one as well, but I'm not seeing it listed for this Friday.

According to the on-screen DirecTV guide, there's a Bucks game that night and that's the only thing I see them having scheduled at that time.

On AT&T U-Verse's guide it's showing the Bucks game from 6-8:30, Bucks Live post game from 8:30-8:45 and the Winter Warm-Up from 8:45 to 10:15. They must have updated this because when I looked earlier in the week it said the Winter Warm-Up would be from 9-10.

Archived