Brewer Fanatic

Bill Hall

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd agree except that I've watched him coast into second for two seasons now. A sample size of two years seems reasonably significant. If you watched him closely this year he started busting hard out of the box once Branyan came up. After that I knew it was a matter of time before Hall broke his no triple streak. Sure enough he finally legged one out.

Except for 346 at bats (.303/.345/.529) in High Desert back in 2001, there was never any reason to think he had enormous potential. His career obp in the minors was .303! His slugging was .387. His first season in AAA in 465 at bats he posted a .568 OPS. That just flat out stinks. There was no indication in the minors that he'd ever be anything but a backup infielder. Only in a pathetic organization like the Brewers circa 2001/2002 would a player like this be sold as a top prospect.

Minor league statistics do not define the potential, enormous or otherwise, of a minor league player. Similar to the comparison to Alex Rios, if that were the case, Grady Sizemore never would have developed the power he currently has. All three's athletic talents were very evident, even if those talents were not reflected in the stats.

Without a doubt he was rushed, but Bill Hall still does have the potential to be better than what he has over the past two seasons, as he showed how good he could be the two years prior (2005-06) to that. I personally think it's unfortunate that he got moved to CF in the first place, because as many of us argued even at the time, the team moved the wrong player (Hall vs. Braun) to the OF at that point in time, and we'll never know how much that has effected Hall's impact at the plate.

As TLB pointed out, he has significant split differences between LHPs and RHPs. What is interesting is that he wasn't horrible like he is now against RHPs during the 2005-06 seasons. He was at least average, arguably slightly above average. Hopefully he and Sveum are looking at tape from those seasons to figure out what made him so successful during that time. I think we all know he's at his best laying off crap in the dirt while driving pitches he can hit to RCF, but even that is easier said than done.

While I appreciate minor league stats don't define potential, let me point out I think it's wrong to compare to Bill Hall to Alex Rios and Grady Sizemore. Sizemore was a 3rd round pick, Rios, a first rounder. Hall was a 6th round pick, so I admit I may be selling him short.

Still, if you're comparing him to players it's worth pointing out Iribarren has hit for much higher avg/obp/slg in the minors than Hall. His batting average is 50 points higher, his obp 70 points higher, slugging, 32 points higher. I don't think anyone's claiming he's a top prospect. It's a sign of the current strength of the organization that Iribarren will probably never get the chance Bill Hall did to establish a major league career.

i'm not sure if you're basing your comparison off career minor league numbers or not, joepepsi, but the relevant information between hall and the hurricane would be to compare what they did at the same age. since the season in question for hall seems to be his age 21 season, which he split between A+ and AA, and ops'ed 805 between the two. at age 21 hernan spent the whole year in A ball and ops'ed 739.

the hurricane also has 13 big league plate appearances through his age 24 season. at the end of his age 24 season bill hall already had over 600. that definitely speaks somewhat to the big league team getting better over the last few years, but also to how much better of a prospect bill hall was than the hurricane ever will be.

Hall's injury reminds me of when Bartholomew Bump Bailey ran into the wall and Roy Hobbs got his chance to lead his team to the championship. OK, maybe it doesn't but I'm still pulling hard for Gamel to take advantage of this opportunity.

Ya know the thing I don't get is that Bill seems so intelligent. In interviews he is articulate and obviously has a vision. It just doesn't translate at all on to the field obviously. I wonder if his stance is stopping him from fulfilling his potential which is obviously enormous. I think when the ball comes solidly off his bat it is more wicked than either Braun or Fielder. Oh well...another Brewer story.
Obviously, this post is pretty funny.

• 3 weeks later...
Buster Olney mentioned Bill Hall as a possible temporary fill in for Arod...

I can't see this happening. Olney mentions Nady or Swisher as chips but I think if Melvin was high on either of those two, we would have heard rumors about Cameron again. In any case, we have more OF options than 3B options right now, so it wouldn't be position-need trade for the Brewers. So, Melvin would have to ship Bill Hall just to ship him.

But I can't see Melvin shipping Bill Hall just to ship him. McGehee and Lamb together are not a solid enough of a 3B platoon to risk shipping Hall, who, though he has problems as of late, is still a better option than either of those two. The Yankees low-balling habits don't seem to play well with Melvin.

I can't see this happening. Olney mentions Nady or Swisher as chips but I think if Melvin was high on either of those two, we would have heard rumors about Cameron again.
Why would we hear rumors about Cameron again? It seems like they had discussions about Cameron and nothing happened so both sides moved on, now they need a 3B, and it's not like they can only use Nady and Swisher. I could definitely see a deal benefiting both teams. Brewers still need LH bats, could use OF depth, and still could use a SP especially with Looper's injury. Yanks obviously need a 3B for now and could still use an everyday CF. Something like Cameron and Hall for Swisher, Cabrera and Kennedy seems to fit those needs for both teams. If either side has to add a nugget to even it out then so be it. That would also shed a lot of salary for the Brewers making it more possible to take on salary at the deadline again.

The question is, why would the Yankees want to trade for an injured 3B to fill in for another injured 3B

Hall is reportedly just days away from playing. I don't think that would be an issue. Besides if they do trade to get a 3B, they'll wait until near the end of spring training. By then they'll have a better idea on how long ARod will be out, and it will give them time to scout potential targets. I'd say odds that Hall goes to NY are slim but not non-existant. Maybe 25-1.

I don't want to see a Mike Lamb,Casey Mcghee platoon, and Mat Gamel is going backwards. I would have to be overwhelmed to deal Hall now, but the Yankees will find a good deal somewhere else.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

The only way the Yankees do this is if they think they can move Hall back to centerfield for the second half of this year to platoon with Melky, and I doubt they want to go there. To sign Bill up for two years is an excessive response to the A-Rod injury. The Gardner? guy they have out in center playing with Melky can't hit very well, but it seems that they're content with it at the moment. For such a strong team, they really have a weak outfield. In fact, Brewers' offense is probably slightly better than theirs is. Pitching is another matter.
Formerly Andersoc420

I don't want to see a Mike Lamb,Casey Mcghee platoon, and Mat Gamel is going backwards. I would have to be overwhelmed to deal Hall now, but the Yankees will find a good deal somewhere else.

I'd rather not trade Bill Hall either, but how do you figure Mat Gamel is going backwards? I know he was late to practice a couple of times, and he started out spring training slow, but the man is recovering from an injury and just had a baby. I'd recommend you give him more than a couple of weeks of spring training before you start giving up on him.

There's new quotes from Cashman suggesting they're not going to trade for anybody and will go with internal options. So this all may be a moot point.

Is that Melvinese? They probably have teams with salary problems calling them right now.

This is the Yankees. They are opening a new stadium. They are not going with the garbage they have internally.

Swisher+Kennedy for Beltre makes sense for both teams.

This would not follow the current Cashman philosophy. He's not going to give up Kennedy for a player he will only use for a month or two, let alone Swisher.

The Yankees need to move Kennedy. He's never going to break into the rotation ahead of Sabathia, Wang, Burnett, Chamberlain, and Hughes and he's already 24. He has one year of "prospect" status left. There is such a thing as valuing your prospects too highly. Two wins this year are more important than having a #3 you can't use next year.

This is purely a hunch, but don't count the White Sox out of the Bill Hall discussion. The White Sox have no experienced 2nd baseman, no established CF and no established 3B, and Hall has played all 3 of these positions. While they have plenty of candidates to fill these spots, I would think when push comes to shove, Williams might want to add a veteran and what guy out there could be his answer at any of those spots? Plus he's shown interest in Hall before. Again this is just a hunch and wouldn't happen until end of spring training in all likeliehood, but it bears watching.

Mora should be available and he can then fill in for whichever OFer goes down if ARod gets back
Mora has a no trade, though for the Yankees he might be inclined to waive it. I think it will be a cold day in you-know-where-before Peter Angelos signs off on a trade with the Yankees.

Archived