Brewer Fanatic

Smelly Sink

homer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
My sink has kind of a odd smell coming from it. I haven't been dumping dead squirrels in there - at least not recently. It's just this stale smell. How can I get rid of it other than getting a new sink?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

My favorite part of this thread is the dead squirrels.

I'd think that in order to rid yourself of the smell, you should probably sell your house and move.

OR

Try the hot water thing. You probably have some grease and stuff jammed up in the pipes. The hot water (sans the bleach) should do the trick.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

I also think that I heard that grinding up ice in the garbage disposal works, but I have no idea why that'd be any better than running water.

It might be the abrasive action of the ice. My plumber once recommended stuffing the disposal with ice, filling the sink halfway with hot water, then running it.

I would think baking soda might be worth a try. At any rate, it's cheap.

I've also heard that coffee grounds were good for disposals. I wouldn't go out of my way to get them, but if they're around, that's where I always send them.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I usually have success with baking soda + hot water down the disposal. Sometimes I add a few drops of essential oil (lavender, tea tree or orange) to the baking soda first.

Adding vinegar to the baking soda will cause it to react and to fizz up real nice, and that concoction will help remove build-up in drains. Like others have said, wash it all down with hot water eventually...

Yeah, when I really want to freshen up the disposal, I measure maybe 1/4 cup of baking soda, add a few drops of lavender oil and one drop of tea tree oil (Don't listen to Katuluu, tea tree oil is antiseptic and when combined judiciously with another scent, preferable to the odor of dead squirrels); then add 1/4-1/2 cup of vinegar, mix and pour down the disposal, then run it with hot water.

You manly types might not be so much into lavender scent, but orange or lemon works just fine.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

My cure for a smelly sink:

Cut one lemon into quarters

Open one Hacker-Pshorr Weiss beer and pour into a tall glass

Put one lemon wedge into the glass;

enjoy;

repeat as necessary;

put lemon wedges into garbage disposal;

run disposal;

enjoy watching disposal vibrating to to lemon wedges while in drunken state.

Hey, I'm easily amused.

Archived