Brewer Fanatic

Dontrelle Willis rumor from MP usher

Take it for what its worth and the source but this actually seems intriguing and a logical move for the marlins.

Brewers send:

Manny Parra

Tony Gwynn Jr

Marlins send:

Dontrelle Willis

Dontrelle has said he'd love to be in a situation that he'd feel comfortable in being an african american. We've got a nice young core of african american players so why not come here and sign a long term deal.

This also helps the marlins long search for a starting center fielder and parra is nothing to scouff at.

I'd be surprised if that's all it took to get Willis. Maybe I'm undervaluing Parra and Gwynn, but Willis means a lot to the Florida organization. I would hazard a guess that it would take Vargas, Inman and Gwynn to get it done.

And isn't Willis also a free agent at the end of next year? He's a good pitcher, but it doesn't seem worth it to me. Wouldn't complain, though.

To me that does seem like a low price. Maybe I do not value TGJ enough. I suppose the $ on the FLA side of things is an issue. I'd do it, but we know that the past full season of baseball have been pretty average for Dontrelle.

Now if the 'Crew were able to get him and he wins four or five down the streach to hold off the Cubs, I'd appreicate the irony in that.

I'm really not that interested in WIllis his numbers are way up this year, and if you park adjust his current career ERA from Florida it starts to get close to 4. This year his got a 4.81 ERA his HR's are up and strikeouts way down. I think he debuted at a young enough age to qualify as being a phenom and those guys tend to age poorly and his throw well over 200 innings in each of the last two years (23 and 24 year seasons) and is on pace to do it again this year.

After work I will try and find the link, and take it for what it is worth but it was from a localish Florida Paper. (Probably not the most reliable source)

Within a week or so I am pretty positive Ben Maller's rumor section on Foxsports.com had an article about how Willis' value has been consistently plumeting, and because of that the Marlins will try and trade him this year.

I wouldn't be shocked if Manny Parra and Tony Gwynn Jr. would be somewhat close to value. I would think that the Marlins would also want an additional lower level high ceiling prospect.

Gwynn

Parra

Gamel

Would I do that? Probably. Would I have to think long and hard about that? Definitely!

we do have some good prospects to trade like Matt Gamel and Alcides Escobar and Zach Jackson, Manny Parra, TGJ and all have prety high value. I believe that due to the uncertain future of Miguel Cabrera they would be interested in our young infielders.

As much as I love this Rumor, Willis really that much of an upgrade?

Granted you can't have to much starting pitching but really Suppan is here to stay for at least another year, Sheets is a better pitcher, Capuano is comparable in my book, Bush is very solid, and Vargas still has another year of Arbitration.

That is before you consider that Gallardo needs to start next season and Villanueva pretty much earned a spot also.

Add to it Will Inman should be knocking loud on the door next year and I just don't see a huge need for the upgrade.

Then again an organization can never have enough starting pitching. Especially a lefty with Dontrelle's age and experience.

he's averaged about 230 innings between 05 and 06, so maybe a lot of his downturn has to do with simply being overworked.

If Gwynn is the biggest piece of a trade to get a durable #2 pitcher for this year and next, I could see a lot of value in that.

FWIW, a loudmouth braggard on one of my softball teams told me they were talking Cappy and Jr. for Willis. I didn't trust him at the time, but it looks like there is some talk along those lines.

I wouldn't trade for Willis unless he's signed to a new deal. It would only be a rental for the rest of the year, and he's having a bad (for him) year. There is no need to trade for someone like that, unless we thought those comp picks were worth more than what we traded away.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I would rather have Capuano than Willis, to be honest. Maybe people pay too much attention to his cool delivery and not enough to his performance, but Willis has been awful this year, and that continues a trend from last year. I think his arm's going to blow up pretty soon. I am all for trading Gwynn, though.

EDIT: Just saw that Willis got roughed up again tonight - 6 ER and 11 H allowed in 3 IP against the might Cardinals offense. That pushed his ERA to 5.13.

Something has to be done soon.

Willis isn't that "something". That's all I'm saying. He is the most overrated player in the league.

If anything is done (and I don't think anything will be), it'll just be as simple as Villanueva moving into the rotation. But, you don't move pitchers as established as Capuano is to the bullpen.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Havent Willis' last 2 years been his best 2 years?

No- his walk rate his up, his k rate is down, his ERA is up... not good signs at all.

sports.espn.go.com/mlb/pl...yerId=5470

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

I think in a better situation, Willis would flourish. Florida is beating him down right now, and hopefully if a trade happens, he'll recover - I can see that happening with Maddux. But I wouldnt trade Cappy. We arent too far removed from him being the stopper and ace of the staff. Cappy got banged up..it happens.. and Yost has contributed to his post-injury ERA imo.

Archived