Brewer Fanatic

Jonathan Sanchez

chansen

Saw on MLBTR that Bucco Blog suggested a trade of Adam LaRoche for Sanchez?

Sanchez is a promising young pitcher.

LaRoche is good for 20HR and 85RBI but strikes out a lot (128,131,122 last 3 years).

I know this is a rumor and suggested by a blog site, but what would it take for us to get Sanchez? I think Corey Hart is way too much considering they are suggesting LaRoche.

To take on Winn's salary, you'd probably have to move Cameron at this point. On the other hand, as much as the Brewers like Corey Hart (and they should!), with the other strong young players coming up, maybe he's one piece they could move.

Plenty of other ways to skin this cat, I suppose, but that's the thought I keep coming back to.

Hart had 20 home runs, 91 RBIs and 109 strikeouts last year and 24 home runs, 81 RBIs and 99 strikeouts the year before. That's pretty comparable to LaRoche's numbers in those categories. Yes, LaRoche is two years older and does not provide any speed numbers, but LaRoche also walks twice as much as Corey and doesn't have as good of protection around him in the line-up. I think Hart will continue to improve while LaRoche is probably what he is, but Hart's value in a trade is probably not as much higher than LaRoche's as we'd like to think...

As far as a Hart/Sanchez swap, I'd do it straight up if the Brewers could sign Dunn or Abreu at a bargain rate. I think Sanchez will develop into a good #2-type pitcher (though likely not to that level this season) and Dunn or Abreu should be able to replace and exceed Hart's production (not the stolen bases in Dunn's case) while also adding another lefty bat to the line-up.

I think Sanchez will develop into a good #2-type pitcher (though likely not to that level this season)

I disagree. He was very unlucky last year, I wouldn't be surprised if he posted a very solid year this year. If the Giants are willing to move him, he's a nice buy low candidate.

I'm not saying I don't think Sanchez will be productive this year. I just don't think he'll be a #2 starter yet. He has some growing to do. If I remember right, he very rarely made it past the fifth or sixth inning last year and I think he had some problems with giving up walks. And pretty much every young starter hits some bumps in the road.

That said, if he's a decent middle of the rotation starter, he'd be very valuable to the Brewers.

I think it would be a good move. I like Hart a lot, but replacing a right fielder is a lot easier than finding a good young starting pitcher. Within 2 years, we'll hopefully have Gillespie and Cain ready, with Gindl also on the way up. If we do that, I would give Abreu a 2 year deal, maybe in the $18-$20 million range. I know its a lot, but he's still a solid player, left handed, and good OBP. He'd be a great #3 hitter behind Hardy and ahead of Braun and Fielder. A rotation of Gallardo, Parra, Sanchez, Bush, and Suppan isnt quite as bad. Man is the Suppan deal killing us!

Maybe someone can enlighten me and change my opinion, but I guess I'm not that thrilled with Sanchez. In 89 career games (37 starts), he's carried a 5.18 ERA, 1.50 WHIP. I do see he was a bit unlucky last year (5.01 ERA vs. 3.85 FIP), and I like his K rate. However, I don't like his BB rate, and he just seems to get hit around a bit too much. He's 26 now, so he's not super-young anymore. Bill James and CHONE seem fairly high on him in '09 (3.90 and 4.05 ERAs, respectively). What am I missing?

Watch him pitch sometime and you will see why many are high on him. The strike outs are a very good inidcator of how good he can be; the control is the only thing that has held him back. He has a very good fastball that has good sink and a good changeup. When he has good control he is great to watch. The other thing that has hampered his development is the jerking around he has had to deal with from the Giants. Last year they finally just let him pitch out of the rotation and not shockingly he had his best year.

Archived