Brewer Fanatic

Dunn Rumor (Dead)

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love it!!!! I've been asking for this for a long time, and I assumed we'd have to give up more than this. We get Dunn to shore up our offense and make the playoffs this season. If he doesn't re-sign, then we get a first and supplemental pick next year (or likely 2nd, since the Reds will be in the top half). These picks will have a chance to become Brewers in 5-6 years, whereas the infielders in question will be blocked behind Hardy, Weeks and Braun for their careers. The only problem I see is who plays LF next season if Jenkins is traded and Dunn doesn't re-up?

I feel that comparing Dunn to Branyan is like comparing Tony Gwynn Jr to Sr, as they're both the same type of player. However, one of them was a phenominal outfielder who's going to the HOF, and the other may be good enough someday to start for a major league team. Dunn and Branyan are the same "type" of player, but there is no comparison in ability. Dunn hits 40+ HR nearly every year, and not many players can do that.

As far as Jenkins' value in trade, he has a team option next year, at what now seems to be a reasonable salary (after the free spending last offseason), so his value is elevated for teams looking at next year. With the year he's having, he'd start on a lot of teams, so we should be able to get a decent player back, especially if we're willing to eat some salary. He's not a player that needs to be replaced, but if we can get Dunn in the trade being reported, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I'm fine with keeping Mench around as long as he's used solely as a spot-starter/PH against lefties, who he's destroying this season.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I don't think I have posted this much in a day, much less an hour, in the 4 years I have been a member on this site. I will be purchasing an Adam Dunn tshirt jersey online today if this turns out to be true. Adam Dunn + Ryan Braun = Nick's Mancrush Gets So Large His Head Explodes.

[ Does anyone know, if Gwynn played for the Brewers today, and was traded after the game, if he somehow could make it to Florida for the Cincy game, could he play for them tonight? Can you play for two different teams on the same day? ]

Yes, Joel Youngblood did it for the Mets & Expos in 1982.

I'd like this to be true but highly doubt it. All it takes is for one person to start a rumor like this and its all over the internet and radio.

Most on the Reds board seem think its made up as well.

nothing yet, still speculation

They are talking to an Arizona reporter about Eric Byrnes saying he will test the FA market at the end of the season and he will now likely be traded before the deadline. I'd almost be more interested in Byrnes than Dunn.

I feel that comparing Dunn to Branyan is like comparing Tony Gwynn Jr to Sr, as they're both the same type of player. However, one of them was a phenominal outfielder who's going to the HOF, and the other may be good enough someday to start for a major league team. Dunn and Branyan are the same "type" of player, but there is no comparison in ability. Dunn hits 40+ HR nearly every year, and not many players can do that.

Excellent point, monty57. Dunn is essentially a lock to 40 homers year in and year out and there are very few players in the league that can do that. The guy has a career OPS just below .900 and always has a high OBP thanks to being able to draw a lot of walks. I think the only knocks against him is his defense and his batting average. I love the possibility of having him hit between Braun and Fielder with Hart and Hardy in front of them. That is a super 1-5 and that is not even taking into account Bill Hall coming back in the 6th spot.

Two quick thoughts: I did think it was odd that Balfour was used last night before Wise. This might be a reasonable explanation for that.

Also, you'd have to think that if we're moving a pen arm, this is a good indicator that another pen trade is in the works to shortly follow.

What would be the outfield when Hall returns?

Dunn

Hall

Hart

Mench, Jenkins on bench (pending another trade)? That would be an awesome bench, putting egos aside.

I personally find it hard to believe that the organizational soldier Jenkins will be traded now when the Brewers are so close.

I really needed to get work done today, Between this (whether it's true or not) and the game itself, it's not gonna happen.

I like the idea of Dunn in the 5 spot...but mainly this morning I'm liking watching some Cubs' fans freaking out a bit over this

Archived