Brewer Fanatic

Jeff Kent retires

sheetswannabe

I never thought of Kent as a HOF'er until the last year or so. Had he played 1B his career, he'd fall short. But there are few 2B who put up the offense he did. He was certainly no Mazeroski out there, but he didn't deserve the reputation as a butcher either. His fldg pct, range factor, and other defensive metrics hold up pretty well, actually. Even at 40 he was still playing 2b. In all, 2034 games at 2nd. I wonder where that ranks all time?

Compared to HOF'ers who are listed as 2B at baseball-reference.com, he'd be about 8th highest in *OPS+, 2nd highest in slugging, 3rd highest in RBI's---one of only three with 1500+, highest by a long shot in home runs. Won an MVP (though Bonds deserved it more that year), an All Star 6 times.

Even factoring in today's inflated offense, he's still a Hall of Famer.

Steroid era guy with loads of questions concerning is off the field antics(remember his made up story after he hurt himself on his motorcycle?) and well know as a terrible clubhouse guy(numerous fights with teammates including the fight with Bonds in the dugout).

His HR #s as a 2nd baseman suggest HOF. But he was average on his best day as a fielder. He wasn't a favorite at all with reporters. It will be interesting to see what happens after voters have a few years to reflect on his total package.

I don't recall a whole lot of other teammate altercations... just the Bonds one. Seems like you have a bit of an axe to grind. On pure numbers it would be very difficult to argue him as a HOF. I don't know that him lying about how he was injured once should be some sort of disqualifier.

Rp

His HR #s as a 2nd baseman suggest HOF. But he was average on his best day as a fielder. He wasn't a favorite at all with reporters. It will be interesting to see what happens after voters have a few years to reflect on his total package.

Kent is a jerk, but there is no doubt he should be a lock for the HOF. I would hope BBWAA members don't let personal grudges cloud their judgement.

Here's Kent's Hall of Fame Trial, I'm sure he'll get in sooner or later.

This is where the voting process shows its flaws....Kent is not universally well-liked, if he was, he may be elected on his first ballot, as it is, the same player with the same numbers will probably get in after 3-5 votes.

http://www.brewerfan.net/...wArticle.do?articleId=260

There was no axe grinding. Kent has had several run ins with team mates, club officials, and even went so far as to mess with Vin Scully.

Maybe but if personality was the determining factor for the HOF, the hall would be much, much emptier than it is now.

Rp

Won't miss him at all. I always found him to be in the Eckstein mold of annoying players. No good reason, but just thought he was a little overhyped. That said, he's got great stats.
Formerly Andersoc420

Archived