Brewer Fanatic

Fielder agrees to a 2 year/$18 mil deal, buying out his first two years of arbitration (reply #48ish)

nate82
According to Haudricourt the Brewers maybe working on a multi year deal with Fielder. According to the article Haudricourt speculates that it could be a 2 year $18-20 million deal. I'm not sure I really like the numbers of this deal especially if this deal doesn't buy out at least one year of free agency. This just doesn't make sense for the Brewers why not get at least one year of free agency?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was really surprised at the arby offer the Brewers made. I don't think Boras would be doing any negotiating with the Brewers unless it involved a multi-year deal. To me, it's a no-brainer that Fielder would win his arby case and get $8mil. I see this as the Brewers looking at the crazy arby numbers the Phillies and Howard are throwing around and possibly trying to solidify relationships with Fielder and Boras in hopes that the can rein him in for a longer term contract after this 2 year deal expires (assuming a 2 year deal happens).

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I guess I don't see the point in this. Sure, you get cost certainty, but for a player that seems destined to leave, i'd rather keep the carrot out in front of him so to speak and have him go year to year. Now if he wants to sign away a year of free agency, then i'll get excited.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

1. Fielder submits a reasonable arbitration figure. (Still pretty high - but some thought he would shoot for the moon)
2. Fielder decides to show up for the Winter Warm-Up and On Deck
3. Fielder discusses a two-year deal with the Brewers.

I don't think anything has changed. I still think Prince plans on leaving when he hits free agency. I just think he finally hired a PR person who told him that Milwaukee was turning against him.

I expect a quote from Prince within the week about how much he loves playing in Milwaukee.

I guess I don't see the point in this. Sure, you get cost certainty, but for a player that seems destined to leave, i'd rather keep the carrot out in front of him so to speak and have him go year to year. Now if he wants to sign away a year of free agency, then i'll get excited.
This is kind of what I thought too. Prince seems to be a guy that likes money, and not having it guaranteed may be the best way to keep him in shape. But if Fielder is/is not in shape now, not much is going to change between now and when they report for spring training. And then next offseason, he'll be preparing for his last arby contract. So in my opinion, a 2 year deal still "keeps the carrot out in front of him."

I'd be excited if they can get this done. Hopefully he can get back to bashing 50 homers and make the deal look like a bargain!

I hope the deal falls through. I didn't even want one more year of the butterball DH playing 1B, let alone two.
You do know Fielder can be traded if it does or doesn't go through right? This has no bearing on if Fielder could be traded or not if anything it makes it a little bit more attractive to trade him since he would more than likely get more in arbitration next year than what is being predicted to be his salary.

If it buys out all of the arbitration a la Hamels, that is fine with me. Then we don't have to go through this song and dance every year. Prince's defense drives me nuts as does his slumps, but when his feet are to the fire and the team needs him, more often than not he seems to come through. He has had stellar Septembers the last two years when everyone around him seemed to falter. He is a passionate player and we greatly underestimate his abilities because we remember the down times. He still projects at a .280-.290 hitter with massive pop and more clutch than anyone other than Braun. Frankly, I think you keep him for the next three years and have teams fear the middle of our lineup. Assuming he improves his shape as Ash has indicated, he will be a player on the rise and I rank him as a top 5-8 1B in the league. Many of us are too hard on Fielder and hold his contract comments against him while ignoring the few games that he single handedly won for us last year.

Am I the only one excited to keep him?

Formerly Andersoc420

Andersoc420 wrote:

Many of us are too hard on Fielder and hold his contract comments against him while ignoring the few games that he single handedly won for us last year.

Bill Hall is clutch too. I will enjoy my next 3 years of watching Prince and being annoyed when Tubby(my nickname for him) makes his fielding mistakes. If we had a suitable replacement ready to step in, I would love to see him gone. Who cares about his contract comments? His defense is so bad it negates much of his offensive contribution.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

A 2 year deal including this year makes no sense. Buying out the rest of arby makes some sense, but buying out just one more year in this market absolutely does not.
this was my first thought as well. but, the contract/money issue seemed to really bother Prince last year. maybe the thought is to get him taken care of for the next 2 years and let him concentrate on baseball.

i am excited for him to stay. i really think that the Brewers need to develop a sense of continuity to remain a competitive franchise. having a core of Prince, Braun, Hardy, Hart, Gallardo, Parra for the next 3-4 years and filling in with the next round of young guys (Gamel, Salome, Escobar, Jeffers, etc) is the key to long term success imo. Plus, having a solid core will make the this a better destination for free agents in the future...

For cost certainty. If Fielder hits 50 homers this year, that contract would look pretty darn good for next year.

I think with Fielder you can count on 35 HRs and crappy defense. He shouldn't expect to be paid what Ryan Howard is paid.

Given the fact he is out of shape, and could get worse, I don't see the advantage of locking him up long-term.

I bet Prince and his agent Boras are now regretting not taking up the Brewers $60M/5year contract extension last year. Last year Prince made $670K, I serious doubt he will be able to get $59.3M over the next 4 years. Prince and Boras are now paying for their greed.

Per Hauricourt's article, Boras filed for $8M while the Brewers file for $6M. Based on the current economic climate, I think the Brewers will win this if it goes to arby.

Can someone clarify...is Fielder a free agent after '10 or after '11? Rotoworld says he isn't a free agent until 2012, but I'm not sure if that's right or not.

Edit: Actually the salary listing on this site says we have him through 2011 as well...which makes me think it's not that big a deal if we only sign him to a two year deal at this point.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

For cost certainty. If Fielder hits 50 homers this year, that contract would look pretty darn good for next year.

I think with Fielder you can count on 35 HRs and crappy defense. He shouldn't expect to be paid what Ryan Howard is paid.

Given the fact he is out of shape, and could get worse, I don't see the advantage of locking him up long-term.

Fielder has been just as valuable as Howard over the past two seasons.

Can someone clarify...is Fielder a free agent after '10 or after '11? Rotoworld says he isn't a free agent until 2012, but I'm not sure if that's right or not.

Edit: Actually the salary listing on this site says we have him through 2011 as well...which makes me think it's not that big a deal if we only sign him to a two year deal at this point.

This is his first of 3 years of arbitration. 2010 will be year 2. FA after 2011.

Per Hauricourt's article, Boras filed for $8M while the Brewers file for $6M. Based on the current economic climate, I think the Brewers will win this if it goes to arby.

I'm not sure how or if the arbitrators can take into account the current economic climate since they can't really look at unsigned players like Dunn and say the market is down. They need to look at the comparables like Ryan Howard and actual contracts. I would bet Fielder wins the arby case if it goes.

TH is reporting that Boras is trying to get more than the $18.7 that Cabrera signed for the first two years of his arbitration. Cabrera's production was a bit better than Prince's, so hard to see Prince getting much more. Assuming Prince wins his Arby request at $8 mil, that assumes you get him next year for $10.7 next year which is less than he'd probably get in a 2010 hearing unless he stinks this year.
Formerly Andersoc420

Archived