Brewer Fanatic

Go get Griffey......NOW!

It's time to stop messing around and letting the Cubs think they have ANY chance of passing the Crew. A deal like this could not only be a MAJOR spark for the Crew, but also deflating to the Cubs.

Parra,Escobar, Gwynn and whoever else they need(Weeks??) to get it done. Obviously I am not talking about any of the untouchables. I'd hate to give up Rickie, but if that is what it takes to get Griffey you do it. The opportunity is NOW for the Crew and if you don't take advantage of it, you may never have this kind of opportunity again.

EDIT: removed extra punctuation from subject line -BtA

No way do I do that trade. I am laughing at some of the panicing.

Tell me why you wouldn't do that deal?? Do you realize just how much of a boost Griffey would be to this offense?? What are you really losing in the deal?? Maybe you think Gwynn can give you the power Griffey would the rest of the way??:(

BTW, it's not panicking, because I fully realize the Cubs cannot keep playing .800 ball. You just need to seize the opportunity that is in front of you, and give yourself the best possible chance to win this division. It's been 25 years, I don't want to wait any longer, and you just never know what can happen in the future and if you'll ever have a chance like this again.

(offset quote with italics --1992casey)

why does everyone insist we need more power? we will have 4 guys, at least (Fielder, Braun, Hardy, Hart) that will have at least 20 Homeruns, possibly 2 more in Jenkins and Hall. What we need is someone who can hit with runners in scoring position (not sure what griffey's numbers are in that). I dont think Griffey is someone we need, at least not for 2 prospects, a starting second basemen, and a good 4th outfielder. you want to make a trade, go get a 7th inning reliever who can actually hold a lead.

Quote:
Parra,Escobar, Gwynn and whoever else they need(Weeks??)

after seeing Parra pitch tonight, you want to get rid of him (not to mention others) for some old fart that is still hitting decent HR's? That's insane IMHO.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

You just need to seize the opportunity that is in front of you, and give yourself the best possible chance to win this division. It's been 25 years, I don't want to wait any longer, and you just never know what can happen in the future and if you'll ever have a chance like this again.

And trading for Griffey guarantee's nothing. If there aren't any guarantees about next year (and I agree there are not), there is nothing guaranteed about this year, except they will win at least 54 games.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Trading Weeks now would be, IMHO, utterly insane. Love him, hate him, or never heard of him, you don't trade a talented player while he's in the worst rut of his life. Trades are all about getting value, and Weeks is the last guy on the team for whom you could get value at this moment.

As for Parra, I was on record with a man-crush before tonight, and I'm sticking to it. He's odds on either to be in the rotation next year or maybe doing Villy's gig if Villy is in the rotation. If the brain trust believes his arm will hold up, he's incredibly valuable.

Plus, Griffey wouldn't necessarily be a huge upgrade. He might help, but that's not enough to justify the kind of offer we're talking about -- and you don't make trades to "make a statement." A trade wins you games or it doesn't.

Greg.

I support trading some pretty good prospects for Griffey, but I agree with the lets not panic sentiment. You can't bet on the Brewers to play .800 ball anymore than you can bet on the Cubs to play .800. And for the record the real reason to get Griffey is because he still gets on base.

Plus, Griffey wouldn't necessarily be a huge upgrade. He might help, but that's not enough to justify the kind of offer we're talking about -- and you don't make trades to "make a statement." A trade wins you games or it doesn't.

I agree. We've held on to Jenkins for years because of his 2nd half surges. Now isn't the time to give up all the trade chips to push him aside. I'd still be trying to shake loose a top starting pitcher, and a top late inning guy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I have a hetro man crush on Griffey, I'd love to see him in the Crew uniform, but dumping so much future for "now" seems a tad insane. Now if we could work out a more reasonable trade with out mortgaging our future I'd be happy with that.

Um...you do realize that Griffey can block a trade to Milwaukee, right? For whatever the rumors are worth, there is a very short list of teams he would consider playing for other than Cincy. Then there's the whole salary thing that rickh150 mentioned. I think the Brewers are about as likely to get Griffey as they are to put Hank Aaron back in uniform to see if he can hit a couple more homers.

Trading Weeks now would be, IMHO, utterly insane. Love him, hate him, or never heard of him, you don't trade a talented player while he's in the worst rut of his life. Trades are all about getting value, and Weeks is the last guy on the team for whom you could get value at this moment.

I was hoping someone had made this statement. Way too early to give up on a talent like Weeks. Now, he may need to rest much of the rest of the year to get his wrists/thumbs healed fully, but he has way too much talent to give up on him yet. And like you said, even if NEED to include him to get a missing piece, at least wait until he's at least on a mini-tear.

Um...you do realize that Griffey can block a trade to Milwaukee, right? For whatever the rumors are worth, there is a very short list of teams he would consider playing for other than Cincy. Then there's the whole salary thing that rickh150 mentioned. I think the Brewers are about as likely to get Griffey as they are to put Hank Aaron back in uniform to see if he can hit a couple more homers.

I absolutely realize that he can block a trade to Milwaukee. I also absolutely realize that there is probably one BIG reason he wouldn't block it......Prince Fielder. In case you are unaware, those two are VERY good friends. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

it's still entirely likely that Weeks is still playing a little hurt because of his wrist. the usual diagnosis is that he'd still have some problems this year but be ok next. we've never really seen him play at 100% healthy.

any other GM would grab Weeks in a heartbeat if we sold low on him right now, because he's still an awesome talent despite what he's shown this year. in two or three years we're going to be very happy we held onto Weeks.

Archived