Brewer Fanatic

ESPN's 2009 Organizational Rankings

nate82
Escobar is ranked 45th, Jeffress is 49th, Salome is 71st, Gamel is 86th.

Clearly Keith Law doesn't like our prospects, but I'd trust Baseball America over an ESPN writer.

Gamel at 86th is crazy to me, because his bat will play in a corner OF spot or 1B (not the traditional big hr guy but definitely solid). I really do not see Salome ahead of Gamel because both have serious defensive questions but Gamel looks to be able to move around because of his size where as Salome is a catcher or DH.

I guess I can see where we do not have the top-end guys because I agree that MILB probably overrates Escobar but I think both Escobar and Gamel should be between 20-35.

Clearly Keith Law doesn't like our prospects, but I'd trust Baseball America over an ESPN writer.

Gamel at 86th is crazy to me, because his bat will play in a corner OF spot or 1B (not the traditional big hr guy but definitely solid). I really do not see Salome ahead of Gamel because both have serious defensive questions but Gamel looks to be able to move around because of his size where as Salome is a catcher or DH.

I guess I can see where we do not have the top-end guys because I agree that MILB probably overrates Escobar but I think both Escobar and Gamel should be between 20-35.

Sickels highest Brewer was Gamel as a B+ prospect, everyone else was B or lower. We don't really have any top end prospects right now in my opinion. Gamel and maybe Jeffress are the only guys who strike me as having star potential instead of just decent every day player potential. Gamel's defense will likely stop him from reaching a higher level and there are just a lot of question marks around Jeffress right now.

Sickels highest Brewer was Gamel as a B+ prospect, everyone else was B or lower. We don't really have any top end prospects right now in my opinion. Gamel and maybe Jeffress are the only guys who strike me as having star potential instead of just decent every day player potential. Gamel's defense will likely stop him from reaching a higher level and there are just a lot of question marks around Jeffress right now.

I like Law more than Baseball America. I was surprised at how low he had Gamel, especially with LaPorta coming in at 27.

I cannot argue about the placements of the other Brewers' prospects. He gives very reasonable support for all his rankings.

I also agree with him on the Cards being a top ten organization. They have a lot of players in their top ten that I like a lot, including Rasmus, Wallace, Motte, and Perez who I think can all play big roles for them this year.

I like Law more than Baseball America. I was surprised at how low he had Gamel, especially with LaPorta coming in at 27.

I cannot argue about the placements of the other Brewers' prospects. He gives very reasonable support for all his rankings.

I also agree with him on the Cards being a top ten organization. They have a lot of players in their top ten that I like a lot, including Rasmus, Wallace, Motte, and Perez who I think can all play big roles for them this year.

I understand why people aren't high on Escobar and I'm not one to quibble over rankings as they are so subjective but I do take issue with Gamel being the lowest rated of the Brewer prospects and barely in the top 100. His improving defense/defensive shortcomings at 3B aside, how do we know he wouldn't make an excellent 1B or corner OF if he fails at 3B? His bat will play anywhere for goodness sake. Salome who has similar upside but no defensive flexibility, does everything unorthodox, and is arguably a worse defender is 15 spots ahead of him? It makes no sense and anyone who follows the minor league forum knows how much I like Angel.

As far as impact prospects go, Hardy was usually viewed in the middle of the class... Upton and Greene seemed to always be liked more, some lists had guys like Crosby in front, Ramirez was seen as a boom or bust guy by many. I'm probably forgetting the some other big propspects in that SS group at the time but those are the names that always stuck out for me, and I think Hardy has turned out pretty favorable by comparison. The point is that prospect ratings basically mean nothing because they are done mostly on upside, and it's impossible to know how far any given player is going to progress. I'm very comfortable with our next wave, I just wish we had more pitching in it.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I understand why people aren't high on Escobar and I'm not one to quibble over rankings as they are so subjective but I do take issue with Gamel being the lowest rated of the Brewer prospects and barely in the top 100. His improving defense/defensive shortcomings at 3B aside, how do we know he wouldn't make an excellent 1B or corner OF if he fails at 3B? His bat will play anywhere for goodness sake. Salome who has similar upside but no defensive flexibility, does everything unorthodox, and is arguably a worse defender is 15 spots ahead of him? It makes no sense and anyone who follows the minor league forum knows how much I like Angel.

As far as impact prospects go, Hardy was usually viewed in the middle of the class... Upton and Greene seemed to always be liked more, some lists had guys like Crosby in front, Ramirez was seen as a boom or bust guy by many. I'm probably forgetting the some other big propspects in that SS group at the time but those are the names that always stuck out for me, and I think Hardy has turned out pretty favorable by comparison. The point is that prospect ratings basically mean nothing because they are done mostly on upside, and it's impossible to know how far any given player is going to progress. I'm very comfortable with our next wave, I just wish we had more pitching in it.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

It makes some sense to place Salome ahead of Gamel, although I would not have them ranked that way. If Salome plays even an adequate catcher and hits to his potential that would quite possibly provide more value than Gamel playing first base. Law clearly thinks Gamel has no chance of staying at third, while leaving open the possibility of Salome staying behind the plate.

It makes some sense to place Salome ahead of Gamel, although I would not have them ranked that way. If Salome plays even an adequate catcher and hits to his potential that would quite possibly provide more value than Gamel playing first base. Law clearly thinks Gamel has no chance of staying at third, while leaving open the possibility of Salome staying behind the plate.

Based strictly on upside, we have to have a top-5 system, at least 1-5 in our system.

Escobar....could be the next Reyes.

Salome...could be the next Pudge.

Jeffress....could be the next Doc Gooden (in a Gooden way)

Gamel....the next Wade Boggs.

Lawrie....look up.

Based strictly on upside, we have to have a top-5 system, at least 1-5 in our system.

Lawrie....look up.

Lawrie....look up.

Wow, I think you're heavily overrating our prospects... it's one thing to be a Brewers' fan, it's another to be overly biased towards our guys.

Look we really don't know yet what we have in Gamel and if Jeffress can keep himself on track he could be really good but Lawrie's pretty far down the line still and Escobar to me looks like a great defensive SS who can't hit a whole lot... Unless something dramatically changes this year I see him as the next Cesar Izturis more than the next Jose Reyes... and personally I'd rather trade him for pitching and try to keep JJ.

Then the team can try to groom Gamel for 1B and we can decide what to do with Prince before the deadline next year. Personally I am more inclined towards paying JJ than to pay Prince since power hitting first basemen are easier to come by than great hitting, good fielding shortstops.

Rp

Lawrie....look up.

Wow, I think you're heavily overrating our prospects... it's one thing to be a Brewers' fan, it's another to be overly biased towards our guys.

Look we really don't know yet what we have in Gamel and if Jeffress can keep himself on track he could be really good but Lawrie's pretty far down the line still and Escobar to me looks like a great defensive SS who can't hit a whole lot... Unless something dramatically changes this year I see him as the next Cesar Izturis more than the next Jose Reyes... and personally I'd rather trade him for pitching and try to keep JJ.

Then the team can try to groom Gamel for 1B and we can decide what to do with Prince before the deadline next year. Personally I am more inclined towards paying JJ than to pay Prince since power hitting first basemen are easier to come by than great hitting, good fielding shortstops.

Rp

Archived