Brewer Fanatic

Powell leaves for the Braves - visit the Brewerfan home page for a farewell from Jim (see reply #84)

Georgia Brew
Community Moderator

Another painful day to be a Brewers fan. Most announcers get their share of criticism, but I've never heard of anyone not liking Jim.

That being said, the Brewers have done a great job hiring announcers in the past--especially taking a risk with BA--so I certainly expect that they will find a good replacement. Who wouldn't want to work with Bob Uecker?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sabathia, Sheets and now Powell. What a painful offseason it has been

Don't forget Mike Maddux, Trenni Kusnierek, and Jack Zdurenzik too.

Yeah, it's been really painful.

Totally forgot about them. Don't care that much actually about losing Maddux and Trenni. Jack Z on the other hand.....

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Come on Jim, sign up so you can say goodbye. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
What? Are you kidding? He's probably all over Bravesfan.net doing tons of scouring of the Atlanta farm system so he is on top of his game on Opening Day.

I'll second pretty much everything else others have stated. He was a great, great announcer and, from all things I have ever heard, a great, great man. He will be missed.

I still remember when he first started and I paused while listening as if to say, "Who is THIS guy?" He reminded me A LOT of the Monty character from Major League (the color commentator with Uecker) since he seemed so unsure of when to speak with Mr. Uecker around. But, he developed his science and did a whale of a job that first season.

I, too, never thought of Uecker as the #1 guy and Jim as the #2 man on the mic. They were equals, in my eyes, er, ears. Sure, Bob got innings 1-2, 5-6, and 8-9 but Jim the was the primary on the pre-game and post-game. They weren't afraid to chime in during each others' innings, either, but also didn't make it into some sort of ESPN 3-man radio booth in which they fight for airtime.

Good luck to you and your family, Jim. Thanks for the memories and keep in touch.

(I feel like adding an XXXOOO or something but that'd be too weird. Although, he is like a best friend that I never met.)

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

*Sigh* This is the biggest loss of the offseason. The Brewers could revert to losing form but at least you knew Powell and Uke were calling the game so you could listen and tolerate how bad the Crew was. Now we're staring down the barrel of a disappointing season and we don't even have our security blanket to salvage it. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

We'll definitely miss you Jim.

Rp

The Braves are getting the best in the business to replace Skip. Congrats Braves and the state of Georgia. You guys are getting a heck of a broadcaster. Congrats to Jim too. This has to be his dream job. But you will be missed. A lot.

I echo the statement that we have had the very best for a broadcast crew. It is one thing for sure that the team always gets right. So while I hate not having Jim call the games for the Brewers next year, I look forward to the new guy. Being in AZ and having a goofy work schedule, I also listen to more games than I watch. I was always happy that the radio on MLB.com doesn't cut out right after the last pitch like the TV does. It was just as great listening to Jim after the game as it was during the game.

I remember in one of the On Deck Brewer events that many players attend, Jim Powell is the only one who my sister and I went to visit. I even took one of his baseball cards. Too bad I have moved a few times since then, and I have lost it. Jim, if you are reading this can you send another?

We have been spoiled, and I hope it continues with the replacement. I hope the Braves fans will appreciate Jim as much as the Brewer fans do. Thanks for a great job, and Best of Luck Jim!

I swear, if we get some opinionated blowhard, I'm going to be pissed. Powell has really set the bar high.

I'm somewhat concerned over this as well, but it may be the high expectations more than anything. One thing that will probably mitigate some of that risk is that whomever the Brewers/WTMJ brings on actually has to be able to do play-by-play at a high level. There aren't too many bloviating former player types who can do that.

As the sting of this news wears off, it is being converted somewhat into interest about who the new person will be.

Whomever they get will have to learn to mesh with Uecker and learn to play the role of the straight man. Powell was perfect doing this. I never saw Powell as the #2 guy here. Uecker and Powell seemed to do an equal sharing of air time so there really didn't seem to be a #1 and #2 guy. I kind of wonder how much this site owes to Powell mentioning it over the air.

How good is Kyle Peterson at doing play by play? If he's pretty good it would be nice to see him get the job. Would any of our minor league broadcastors be good choices?

Archived