Brewer Fanatic

Powell leaves for the Braves - visit the Brewerfan home page for a farewell from Jim (see reply #84)

Georgia Brew

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll miss him but am happy he gets to do something he loves for the team he grew up with. His pimping of this site during Brewer games was what got me turned on to this site. Though many may never forgive him for that transgression I will always be eternally grateful to him for it.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Dangit! I know the previous post pertaining to this made it sound concrete, but I still held out hope that Powell was just one of many people in the running for the Braves job, and that the Brewers were only asking people to send in their resumes as a precautionary measure.

When I told my wife, who doesn't follow the Brewers nearly as close as I or anyone else here does, but is subjected to listening to almost every game during the year, that Powell may move on to another team she audibly gasped. She then yelled "No! He can't do that! They can't let him do that!" It's just one of those personal relationships you build with the broadcasters over the years (IMO, more so from the radio broadcasts) that make such divorces very difficult to move on from.

I'm happy for JP because it's clearly a step up for him (not the Brewers vs. Braves thing, but being the #1 guy) while he also gets to return home. As noted in the linked story, he has some big shoes of his own to fill, and I'm guessing that is a voice he grew up listening to. Given how passionate and loyal Powell has been about the Milwaukee Brewers from top to bottom I'm confident he's going to be keeping a watchful eye on this club over the years, and hopefully he will even give this site a glance from time to time.

But this sucks for us. This sucks for me as someone who listens to a lot more games on the radio than I did watch them on TV. If you are out there Jim, thank you so much for your dedication to the team and the game of baseball, and thanks for allowing me and my family to become connected a little better, not only to the Brewers and the game itself, but to you as well. You will be missed.

(I going to blame his departure on the ridiculous Kohl's sponsorship that WTMJ unfairly subjected Ueck and Powell to.)

Also, the Brewers may be criticized for a lot of things over the years, but they have done a pretty amazing job identifying and developing TV and radio personalities.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I bet he gets booed upon his return. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Tear.

The only consolation I've got at the moment is that I was disappointed when Pat Hughes left too, and that turned out all right (eventually).

This hurts, Brewer-fan wise, but speaking as someone who once changed jobs to "go home," I can see why you're doing it, Jim. Thank you and best wishes.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Perhaps it was said previously, but I always envisioned Powell as the heir apparent to Uecker.

You and me both. Powell knew the Milwaukee Brewers organization, top to bottom, as well as any scout or front office person did. His knowledge of the minor leagues and passion for discussing the farm system teams and players during broadcasts made him a treat to listen to. It takes a special individual to play the "Robin" to Ueck's "Batman" role but Powell did it tremendously well. I wish him future success and know he will make a name for himself in Atlanta. Sorry to see him go but happy he received this opportunity.

I'm also sorry to see Jim go. My favorite memory of him was from one night last summer. Taking a walk with my infant son, radio on the stroller, listening to Jim describe Skip Carey after Skip's passing. I grew up in the South as well, and listened to many a game with Skip and shared many of the same laughs Jim described in his improptu tribute.

For me it's fitting that Jim is taking Skip's place in the booth.

I never really thought of Jim Powell as the #2 guy. That never even occurred to me. Powell and Uecker always seemed like a balanced team that complemented each other well. I know Uecker was the celebrity and the comedian, but Powell was the polished commentator and the knowledgable baseball man.

Anyway, it's a sad day in Brewer Nation. I want to thank Jim Powell for doing an outstanding job during his many years with the Brewers. I wish him nothing but the best.

I think I'll go cry now.

Definitely happy for Jim that he gets to return home. I had always wondered if this would happen if a Braves job opened up.

Best wishes to Jim going forward, hopefully for him the Braves are on an upswing so he doesn't have to go through rebuilding again. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Have there been any mentions at all of any of the possible candidates to take the job?

Archived