Brewer Fanatic

Do Minor Leaguers have Spring training?

sausage racer
I think Gamel might hold the keys in a way. If Gamel can't stick at third, then Green should be fine there in two years. If Gamel CAN stick at third, I'd have to think Green might get a shot at second again and probably could handle it. That should put Lawrie at catcher.

But Lawrie has to begin working at catcher immediately if he's ever to play there in the majors. We don't have time to see if Gamel sticks at 3rd.

Tha't probably true. I suppose it's refreshing to have a "good" problem of how to get all these guys in the lineup together someday. The more I think about it, the more I think Gamel replaces Prince at first next year when Prince is dealt for pitching. That might be the key domino to fall and make this picture clearer for us.

Please keep in mind that coming up on the lower rungs of the minors is Shawn Zarraga, who was a stud with an .868 OPS while catching in the Arizona Summer League heat, walking one less time than he struck out in '08 (.300 / .432 / .436). The Brewers paid him significant money to sign as a late-round flyer "can we pry him from his college commitment" pick, and hopefully he's rewarded with the starting job in Appleton as And That noted in the roster projection thread. When you plug Zarraga into the catcher food chain as you would have Lawrie, you'll understand why the Crew shouldn't have an issue with moving Brett from behind the plate.

http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:o49RA7FHSrQIfM:http://img.coxnewsweb.com/B/04/29/47/image_3947294.jpg

I say we make Lawrie into a Chone Figgins-type. 3B/2B/C/LF/RF....and 1B if you were really in a jam, but he is a bit on the short side for it. 63-75% of the positions on the field could be played by LaBat Blue (I'm going to continue to call him that until it catches on).

Archived