Brewer Fanatic

Mark Loretta

Just an idea I had the other day. Would anyone here be interested in Loretta? He would be a rental (expiring contract) and clearly not a guy the 'Stros really need in a year where they're not competing. If Weeks were to struggle through the end of July (aka trade deadline time), it might be a reasonable idea. Even if you only use him to back up Hardy and Weeks (more Weeks), he's hitting .315/.390/.412 and is a career .299/.364/.402 hitter. Seems like that could have some value for us. I wouldn't give up a ton for a rental of Mark Loretta, but if the price was right?

Quote:
I don't think Lo is an every day SS if JJ were to go down, not much moreso than Cirillo is. He did not have much range when he was a kid.

Right, I think you hold onto Counsell in this scenario and maybe do something with Graffy. Loretta would be primarily playing for Weeks if Rickie shows no signs of life between now and the 31st.

It's amazing how well Graffy is hitting right now...I'd think he'd be a solid 2B for many contenders. Heck, he might be for us...Rickie is probably a combo of unhealthy or slumping enough to justify him not playing anymore than 2 out of 3.

If things continue, which I would doubt, Graffy and Counsell might be playing 2B in September.

If Graffaninio and Counsell are going to play at second base more, that means Weeks will be a bench player. But I just don't see Weeks as the type of guy who can come off the bench and get a pinch hit late in the game. He might be a good pinch runner, but do you really trust him with the bat right now? I know I don't.

I would love to see Loretta come back just to give Yost more options. I really think Weeks needs to play everyday in the minors until he finds it again.

On a personal note, I just really think it would be cool to have a long-time Brewer like Loretta come back and go into the playoffs as a Brewer. It just seems sort of fitting. (assuming we make the playoffs of course)

`plus, Loretta has played a bit of OF over the years. It'd be nice to add a .310 hitter at the top of our lineup.

And really, Rickie needs to go to AAA to get his swing back. His swing is very timing based.

Quote:
`plus, Loretta has played a bit of OF over the years. It'd be nice to add a .310 hitter at the top of our lineup.

Agreed, and I'm really digging the .390 OBP. That would look real sharp in the 2 hole, and Hardy can move down to like the 6 hole where I think he would fit in better.

Its pretty funny to think that alot of people (circa 2001) thought Loretta was overpaid in 2001 (last year he was with us IIRC)

Since that time, he's basically put up a .306/.365/.772 line, which has to be pretty close to the top (middle IF) group in MLB over that span. He's not a power guy, but probably as ideal #2 guy as I can think of....

If only we signed Loretta/Cirillo rather than CC and TG.... Granted CC and TG have played better since June 1st...

Quote:
If only we signed Loretta/Cirillo rather than CC and TG.... Granted CC and TG have played better since June 1st...

I would have loved that. I mean, whoever ends up being the best combo, great, but how cool would it have been to have brought those two back into the fold and then have gone all the way with them?

IIRC, Loretta signed with Houston because they were the only team that could promise him a starting spot sometime during the year (once Biggio hit 3,000 hits, they were going to start Loretta at 2B). Like Cirillo, I think Lo would have been put off by the speculated lack of at-bats this year. Who knew that Weeks wasn't as far along in his recovery and Graffy/Counsell would be getting so many ABs?

With that said, if the Brewers are convinced that Weeks won't be of any use at all for the rest of the year, I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in Loretta. I'd probably take a healthy Weeks over Loretta, but that doesn't look like Weeks is going to be healthy for another month or two IMO.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

adding another IF would just be ludacris. We need another GOOD bat and/or pitcher. We do not need to fill our roster up with more mediocre players who are nearing the end of their career.

It's amazing to me how often guys like Loretta or relief pitchers are fairly ignored as free agents,then at the trade deadline a team that eventually signed them are able to pawn the guy off for a decent prospect or two.

adding another IF would just be ludacris. We need another GOOD bat and/or pitcher. We do not need to fill our roster up with more mediocre players who are nearing the end of their career.

http://www.tradebit.com/usr/djmixtapez/pub/9002/Ludacris-The-Def.A.Nition.jpg

Especially if it was this guy.

Archived