Brewer Fanatic

McClung signs for $1.6625 mil, avoiding arbitration

TSack27

Good to hear we got another one out of the way at not too bad a price. What is the date deals need to be struck by in order to avoid arbitration?

Also, from another JS post:

Among the many other topics Melvin addressed on this stop of the Brewers' winter tour, he said he doesn't expect to sign another starting pitcher before spring training. Of course, that could change if the market continues to fall and somebody drops in his lap at a reasonable price.

It looks like Seth will be our #5, and God save us if we have any injuries.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
What is the date deals need to be struck by in order to avoid arbitration?
I think its anytime before that players scheduled arbitration date. I seem to remember some midnight deals preventing past Brewers from going to arbitration the next day.

Gord Ash was on the D-List earlier this morning, and acknowledged that they have basically no pitching depth at the moment...so it wouldn't surprise me if they sign somebody to possibly compete for a rotation spot, at least.

I agree. I think what is holding them up is the Fielder uncertainty. If Boras overplays his hand and files for a ridiculously high number, I think they'll be confident they'll win in arby and will know how much they have to spend.

Ill tell you this, if McClung was a free agent I bet he couldnt get a 1 yr contract for 1.66 million.
The first test will be if he can secure himself as a starting pitcher, which will make him more valueable than as a middle reliever. For the Brewers at this point, he's a starting pitcher. As such, if he can log a decent number of innings and post a 4.50 - 5.00 ERA, he'd probably be worth well over $5MM on the open market. Of course, this market has skewed salaries some, but he has to be worth $1.66MM if he's a starting pitcher, especially with the limited risk a one-year deal assumes. Free agent starting pitchers, even average ones, cost a lot of money. If McClung can keep his walks down to a reasonable level, he could be a decent pitcher. I'm really not worried about him being the #5. I'm worried about us not having any pitchers beyond our starting five that are capable major league starters.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Right...I mean, how many teams even make it to the All Star break with their same starting five from the season opener intact? My bet would be virtually none, at least in recent baseball history. My big concern is that one of the starters scuffles badly or gets injured, and then they have to put Villanueva or someone in the rotation, which is just going to weaken the bullpen significantly. Yeah, Capuano might be available mid-summer, but you can't really bank on that.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Would be fine with me.

Amusing interview McClung did on 1250 this afternoon....they asked him about the "platoon" situation he had been in this past season, and asked him if he foresaw anything like that again this season. He simply said, "No. Just 'no', and that's about the most diplomatic way I can answer that."

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

If Suppan really struggles in spring training, I could see the Brewers saying "Sorry, Jeff, it's for your own good," and sticking him in the pen. He wouldn't be happy about it, but I don't think they can afford to give out rotation spots based on salary with the limite depth they have.

We are talking about the Suppan who has had an ERA in the mid to upper 4s the last few seasons, right (and was negatively impacted by his injury last season, thus leading to an ERA in the upper 4s)? I´m just checking, because I really don´t see how a guy who is going to have an ERA in the mid 4s shouldn´t be in the rotation, especially when he is making his rather significant income to log a lot of innings.

I really think people have stopped looking objectively on this site at Suppan. Look at the stats, and understand he is not the type of guy you generally bump completely from the rotation, especially not for a guy like McClung who has limited history starting and would be far more likely to end up with an ERA in the 5s, rather than the 4s. And on top of that who is not nearly as stretched out as Suppan.

I was just saying if he struggles in spring training due to coming off his injury this past year, or whatever. I'm not advocating that he be removed from the rotation unless absolutely necessary.

I probably shouldn't have brought it up. I actually think Suppan still has value to the team.

And you can just pretend that Suppan didn´t pitch through an injury last year, which means he´s likely better than last year. Also you are not factoring in the fact that McClung does not have nearly as much stamina built up as Suppan. The only way they are on even terms is if you ignore those facts.

Archived