Brewer Fanatic

WBC Brewers-Specific Discussion; Other WBC Talk in In-Game Thread Forum

Ennder

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
KegStand81[/b]]
DocLuna7[/b]]I thought Vinny Rottino was from Racine?

He is...he's Italian the same way that Mike Piazza was Italian back in '06.

Yeah, I think that's kind of a joke. I don't think the foreign teams should be assembled using the ancestral bloodline of Americans. I believe A-Rod played for the US in '06 and is playing for the Dominican Republic this time. Not sure what the guidelines are, but couldn't basically just about any American play for some foreign team based on their ancestry (other than maybe Native Americans)? Although, I'm guessing there is not an Irish team.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Josh Wahpepah demands only natives be allowed on the American team.

But seriously, I think it's great that we have so many players on rosters (despite the paper-thin reasoning behind some of the "European" inclusions-Rottino should have a better case playing for the Danish because Denmark is in Wisconsin or the Belgians because Brussels is as well). As for Yo...disregard that it's an honor and just say NO. We need your arm and bat to be at their most potent.

Lawrie isn't much of a surprise. Now that I think about it, it would have been surprising to not see him on a roster. I also hope Gallardo doesn't pitch.

Does anybody seriously care about this whole WBC fiasco? The only reason I care is because I don't want to see Brewers get hurt.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Patrick, that's how it works in the Olympics, too. Plus, we want this event to be competitive.
Yes, but in general, the Olympics don't find it neccesary to distribute players from countries with better atheletes to lesser talented countries in the name of competitive equality.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I believe the rule is that if a player's grandparents were from that country, he can play on that team.

I don't think it's a big deal...they want it to be competitive, so you have stuff like that.

Also, yes, while people in the US may not care that much yet, world wide the WBC is turning into a fairly big deal. It's a pretty big deal to the players, too, it seems.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Patrick, that's how it works in the Olympics, too. Plus, we want this event to be competitive.
Yes, but in general, the Olympics don't find it neccesary to distribute players from countries with better atheletes to lesser talented countries in the name of competitive equality.

Actually thats pretty much how the olympics do work. There is a reason why the entire US table tennis team is of Chinese origin.

rottino (listed as a OF) di felice and falgello (A+) are the names for the 40 man roster of the "italian" team.

although is not competely fair, WBC is a way to introduce baseball in a country like mine (italy) in which it has no place on tv or newspaper. seeing some mlb talent with the azzurri jersey can be a good promo for baseball.

if we had to count only on our players i fear we never will be invited again to this kermesse...

(dreaming rillo playing for italy)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Invader3K[/b]]I believe the rule is that if a player's grandparents were from that country, he can play on that team.
Score! I'm eligible for the Danish team! Where do I report? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Looks like just-signed OF Adam Stern is on Canada's provisional squad as well, according to this article.

I believe the rule is that if a player's grandparents were from that country, he can play on that team.

That's how former Brewer Chris Barnwell is on Canada's squad, which includes other former Milwaukee farmhands Vince Perkins and Max St. Pierre.

Okay, now that I'm done laughing at my own wit, I'll add some serious thought. Like many others, I worry about Yo pitching in the WBC, although I'm not overly worried about Braun. I'd venture to guess that Braun may very well be the single most well conditioned athlete on the team. Also, if he plays well and blasts a whole bunch of monster homers, it might bring some new Braun (and Brewers by extension) fans into the fold. Bandwagon fans or not, it'd be nice to see the Crew get more love on a national level.

Actually thats pretty much how the olympics do work. There is a reason why the entire US table tennis team is of Chinese origin.

When I look at the profiles of the US table tennis team at least they have hometowns and residences listed as US Cities. That's a bit different than what's happening in the WBC. Vinny Rotino has never lived in Italy (as far as I know) and has possibly never even visited Italy.

Edit: Also, as I do more research. It appears that the IOC's requirements is that each athelete representing a country be a citizen of that country. Again, much different than the WBC.

WBC is not a CIO tournament.

is a mlb organized tournament.

the teams are invited, there are no qualification.

it a world wide baseball party therefore there are no rules for players to play for countries they don't even know where they are.

i'm italian but i am happy (proud) that guys that never stepped into italian territory play for us? no.

i just dont't care, i am happy to see some baseball one month before what we are used to.

WBC is not a CIO tournament.

is a mlb organized tournament.

the teams are invited, there are no qualification.

it a world wide baseball party therefore there are no rules for players to play for countries they don't even know where they are.

i'm italian but i am happy (proud) that guys that never stepped into italian territory play for us? no.

i just dont't care, i am happy to see some baseball one month before what we are used to.

Yes, however, the thing is marketed as "World Baseball Classic" with different countries playing one another. They might as well just draw players names out of a hat and place them on various teams. Same thing.

Archived