Brewer Fanatic

Freddy Garcia & Mark Mulder

I can't believe Mulder is the answer. The guy has pitched 13 innings in the last two years. I guess it's possible that he's healed and ready to roll, but no way would I count on it. (The phrase "throwing off the mound for scouts" scares the daylights out of me.)

Braden Looper or Randy Wolf, I could live with.

I can't believe Mulder is the answer. The guy has pitched 13 innings in the last two years. I guess it's possible that he's healed and ready to roll, but no way would I count on it. (The phrase "throwing off the mound for scouts" scares the daylights out of me.)

Braden Looper or Randy Wolf, I could live with.

Mulder on a minor league deal wouldn't be a bad option for depth. He probably won't be ready for the first month of the season. Mulder wouldn't be bad as a depth option for the Brewers.

The more I think about this, the more I like, there is no harm in it if the Brewers can pick up either guy on a minor league deal

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I am up in the air with Mulder though. His MLB stats have been bad the past 2 years and his Minor League isn't much better.
Mulder has been injured the past two years of course his stats are going to be bad the past 2 years. Sometimes I wonder if people even look up the players they are talking about.

I know he was injured and was pointing that out with his poor statistics. Please don't judge my posting. I am also saying that Mulder is not the answer to our problems.
All the free agent pitchers besides Perez and Wolf are not the answer to our problems. Actually Wolf and Perez are not really an answer either. Mulder would be signed on a minor league contract which means all he would be doing is adding depth to the rotation which is what the Brewers need. Basically all of the free agents currently available make Suppan look like an Ace.

Mulder's stats the past two years are meaningless because there is not enough data to make any significant arguement saying he was good or bad. Mulder has barely even pitched the last two years so you can't really say he was good or bad.

The last 3-years that Mulder was healthy his numbers are basically that of a #2 or a #3 pitcher. ERA isn't perfect when judging a pitchers talent but as you can see Mulder wasn't bad like you are claiming he was. You can't look at the 2 years that he was injured to gauge what he will be. Right now Mulder is a #4 or #5 pitcher if he could get healthy. The Brewers signing Mulder to a minor league deal wouldn't be a bad idea it is actually a great idea.

SEASON TEAM G GS CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB SO W L SV HLD BLSV ERA
2003 Oak 26 26 9 2 186.2 180 66 65 15 40 128 15 9 0 0 -- 3.13
2004 Oak 33 33 5 1 225.2 223 119 111 25 83 140 17 8 0 0 -- 4.43
2005 StL 32 32 3 2 205.0 212 90 83 19 70 111 16 8 0 0 -- 3.64

Didn't the Cardinals shut Mulder down early last year because his arm just couldn't take it and he was completely ineffective? I wouldn't put any stock in those 03-05 numbers from Mulder, he just isn't going to be that pitcher again.

http://www.stltoday.com/s...748300116895?OpenDocument

He may try and come back but he was not good in the minors last year when he was able to pitch and really has sat out since last July. In the above article he states he would probably retire if further surgery is needed.

If he can pass a physical and takes a minor league deal fine, low risk, but I wouldn't count on him for much of anything at the ML level and certainly wouldn't call him a #4 caliber guy given nobody knows if he can even throw 6 innings let alone every 5 days, and even if he can does he have any left? He certainly didn't last year during his attempted come back and it doesn't instill a lot of confidence that he will ever pitch effectively again.

Sign me up for Mulder on a MiLB deal. I love a good comeback story. If things don't work out.. oh well.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I'd take a flyer on Mulder for something minimal, either a minor league deal or if he wanted guaranteed money then a 1yr 1 mil deal with a sweet team option if he can put it together. If he is healthy he could be a sub 5.00 ERA pitcher, or another McClung, which is fine, we need the depth at this point.

here the latest From Ken Rosenthal about the brewers intrests in certain Pitchers.

The Brewers are not interested in projects such as Kris Benson, Jason Jennings, Mark Redman, and Victor Zambrano. They're just lukewarm on Mark Mulder. Benson is drawing interest from the Dodgers, Rangers, and Cardinals; one exec reviewed his audition as "so-so."

I wouldn't want to take a chance on Mulder. However, if the Brewers could sign three Mulder types at two to three million, then I'd definitely want Mulder, thinking that one would stick and do a decent job. I'd definitely pay someone 6 to 8 million to outperform McClung as the #5 pitcher. Which, I suppose, I'd be willing to pay a guy like Looper 7 milllion for one year. Hmmmm....maybe I'm not that smart after all.

• 2 months later...

Archived