Brewer Fanatic

Losing the 1st round pick

nate82

I'm not sure there is a topic on this and I couldn't find one in the search.

If the Brewers lose Sheets to the Mets, Phillies, or any other team they will probably get a 2nd round pick plus a comp pick for Sheets. So in the end they would have 2 2nd round picks and 2 comp picks and if anyone signs Shouse they would get another 2nd round pick. I think Sheets was rated higher than Ibanez and the Brewers would get the Phillies 1st round pick if the Phillies sign Sheets?

Would it make sense for the Brewers to sign Oliver Perez? The Brewers would lose their 1st round pick to the Mets. Will this be that bad of a problem?

Weighing the positive and negatives of the Brewers losing that first round pick would be crucial. First you would have to look at will Perez be as good as the 1st rounder we would be losing. Will the compensation picks and 2nd round picks we would be getting be enough for the loss of the 1st round pick.

I know the NFL and MLB are two different beasts but in the NFL you see teams from time to time trade their late 1st round pick for a 2nd round pick. This is somewhat what the Brewers are doing with signing a Type A free agent. The Brewers are already getting at least 1 2nd round pick and a compensation pick. If Sheets signs else where the Brewers will be getting a 2nd 2nd round pick and a compensation pick.

I would never want to sign Oliver Perez. He can't throw strikes and has zero consistency. For the salary he'll get, I'd much rather attempt to sign Sheets.

Also, does Shouse give a 2nd round pick or a compensatory pick? Theoretically, we're still talking about 7 picks before the start of round 3 should Shouse and Sheets sign elsewhere. Speaking of Shouse, why is someone with his numbers struggling to get a 2 year $6 million offer?

Type B free agents(like Shouse) are only a sandwich pick for compensation.

Speaking of Shouse, why is someone with his numbers struggling to get a 2 year $6 million offer?

That's a lot of money for a LOOGY.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

or if not the money, the fact that a 40-y/o LOOGY is still holding out for anything more than a one-year contract.

i would definitely prefer to keep the draft pick than to sign Perez. giving up picks to sign so-so pitchers would slowly destroy a mid-market team like Milwaukee. i think the only time the Brewers should be giving up picks is when they can sign a difference-maker, of which Perez is definitely not. plus you have to think there's a good chance Milwaukee will go out and sign a bigger-name player in 2010, which would then mean giving up two first-rounders in a row.

Archived