Brewer Fanatic

Brewers in Playoffs - 2009

pmg4

In terms of playoff chances, I feel uneasy not only about the rotation but also C, 2B, and 3B.

After June 1 (so the final 100 games), Kendall was .241/.321./.317. I know that he's great behind the dish, etc., but watching him play in Sept. (.202/.295/.298) made me wonder how much gas he has left in the tank. (I'm hoping that it was just fatigue and that Macha will not try to have him start 150 games, which seemed to be Ned's sadistic goal.)

Rickie is . . . Rickie. I suspect that we'll be in for another semi-confounding campaign there. If he figures it out at the plate and plays marginally competent D, I'll like the team's chances a great deal more.

I don't know what to expect at 3B, frankly.

Again, all of this stuff could work out favorably -- Yo could be an ace, Rickie could blossom into Jackie Robinson, and so forth. But I just don't see the planets aligning this time around. There are just too many question marks.

I don't know what to expect at 3B, frankly.

Assuming it's a Lamb/Hall platoon... probably overall average or below defensively, overally average or above offensively.

Lamb career v. RH: .281/.336/.422/.758

Hall career v. LH: .278/.355/.493/.847 (good grief -- if you really want a good scare, check Hall's rates v. RHP in 2008)

I agree with others that the Brewers have a small to moderate chance at the postseason in 2009. However, you never know what kinds of injuries might befall other teams.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

But as to why guys like this are the ones that you need to trade for to get over the hump, those are really the only types available to acquire during the season.
Precisely my point. I'm not sure how Halladay is a lengthy option if acquired during the season, he's not even a lengthy option if acquired today. I'm looking for 3 years minimum for a player in a trade, that's my idea of a "solution". Peavy isn't a realistic target either, now that the team acquired one of the best pitchers in the game people act like it can happen every year. It took Jack Z 9 years to get enough talent to the MLB club and in the system to pull off that one deal, it's not going to happen year in and year out.

This team is not 1 player away or even 2 players away. Acquiring Sabathia last year wouldn't have meant anything if the Mets didn't choke it away again for the 2nd year in a row, it's like people forget how bleak the playoff picture looked even a week before the end of the season. We don't have a playoff cailber rotation, and the offense of this current group of players is very up and down. Maybe Macha can have some impact on consistency, but I'm not holding my breath.

I still haven't seen a solid plan out of anyone who's suggesting we trade more propsects to plug holes other than to sign Hardy. If Hardy signs I'll be estastic, he's one of my guys, I just don't think it's realistic. Outside of C where we have 2 prospects in Salome and Lucroy, 3B, SS, 2B, 1B, and CF will all need to be addressed in the next 3 years. Many people around are more than willing to mortgage the team's future chasing the playoffs 1 year at a time, chasing something that may not be attainable if the team gets unlucky with injuries. I'd rather look down the road and make all of the pieces fit, making some tough choices along the way, building a solid team with solid depth behind it, than maing moves 1 for 1 filling holes on a yearly basis.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived