Brewer Fanatic

Andruw Jones released

Sounds like he basically took his ability for granted and let himself get out of shape before he even signed with the Dodgers. Charlie Steiner was just talking about this on XM, saying he saw him at his press conference when he signed with LA and remarked "His gut is bigger than mine!" An executive said to him, "Don't worry, he'll be fine when spring training breaks." Well, he actually showed up even bigger at that point.

It doesn't sound like there is a lot of hope for him. He was just in the Dominican Winter League (I believe) and batted something pathetic like .140.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

The Dodgers have signed so many bad contracts in the last few years with Jason Schmidt, Andrew Jones, and Juan Pierre coming to mind. Luckily they've drafted well so their farm system has bailed them out along with acquiring Manny at the deadline. They really need to get Manny back or that OF might have Pierre starting in CF. Yuck.

I guess this is an example in baseball where a team like LA can move on pretty well from a contract like this, but if KC, the 'Crew or another team on the shallow end of the payroll pool did this...it would be really bad.

Can someone clarify what would happen from here if another team wants to sign Jones? If for example, the Braves decide to sign him, would they have to take on his existing contract from the Dodgers, or would they be able to negotiate a new deal with Jones, making the old one void?
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

The Dodgers have signed so many bad contracts in the last few years with Jason Schmidt, Andrew Jones, and Juan Pierre coming to mind. Luckily they've drafted well so their farm system has bailed them out along with acquiring Manny at the deadline.
I think the farm system strength is thanks to Paul DePodesta and the bad contracts mostly due to Ned "everything I know I learned from Brian Sabean" Colletti.

790 The Zone in Atlanta had Andruw Jones on yesterday morning and boy oh boy, was it a debacle. Words can't really describe how terrible Jones sounded. It was pathetic.

The guys who interviewed him have been doing sports radio in Atlanta for a long time and are among the best and most professional interviewers I've ever heard (Pete Carroll thanked them twice the other day for doing such good research). One of them, Chris Dimino, is a baseball guru who has done some work with MLB.com. He has done tons of in-depth solo interviews with baseball players and was one of the last to interview Ted Williams (who also commented on how impressed he was with Dimino's knowledge). The guys were SO pissed off when they got off the phone with Jones. You can tell as the interview goes on that they are just trying to be done with it. They (especially Dimino) have known Jones ever since he was called up to the majors and they were insulted by his apparent disinterest in speaking with him, particularly when Jones needs to start working on some PR. It was like he doesn't care about his career anymore.

I'll let you all listen:

http://multimedia.790thez...21763337/andruw-jones.htm

Wow, I got the impression he doesnt care at all. Just by the way he was answering questions and sounded so unenthusiastic. I guess when you are getting paid 21 million over 6 years, you dont have to care anymore..what a shame.

I think he just sounded incredibly hung over.

the transcript of the interview is just as funny to read as it is to listen to. it was like he was on drugs, hung over, eating, tired and a non-native English speaker all at the same time.

i think at the end he said he wouldn't accept a minor-league deal if Atlanta offered it to him. If he sticks to his mumbled word, i presume that means he's done with baseball. if so, i don't think there would be any dishonour if he just came out and said 'you know, i've been playing this game all my life and i just don't want to play anymore.'

sad, though, that if he would have tried, he would have been a Hall of Famer.

If anyone has seen the coverage on MLB.com he looks to be practicing with the Braves and looks in shape. He was smiling as he was tossing around the ball with Chipper and looked happy to be there. I say he goes back to Atlanta and rebounds. They'll put his stance back to how it was, and I think his knee problems will be behind him.

Is his contract the worse ever for an organization?

$36.2 million for .158 with three home runs and 14 RBIs in 75 games.

I know the yankees paid Pavano like $38 million for 157 innings of about 4.8 era. Obviously a couple more million but better "production".

Which one is worse? I'm thinking Jones.

Any other bad contracts come to mind?

Archived