Brewer Fanatic

Dave Bush avoids arbitration, signs for $4 mil in '09

And That

how fantastic would it be if the Dave Bush from the 2nd half last year shows up and pitches the entire year? I'd actually like our chances of sneaking into the playoffs again if that was the case.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

It's good to see that Melvin is getting these out of the way early. I think he's trying to get a little "certainty" so that he can make a run at another pitcher.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The Brewers' payroll now stands right around $75 mil if you assume the remaining four arby's players will receive around $13 mil altogether.
So... what type SP will we be able to sign for $5MM? Maybe that idea of bringing back Gary Glover wasn't so far fetched after all.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The Brewers' payroll now stands right around $75 mil if you assume the remaining four arby's players will receive around $13 mil altogether.
So we will be about $5M lower than where we started last year? If we are going for $80M, we are probably in Braden Looper territory as far as FA's go, if a trade happens obviously a higher priced pitcher could be obtained.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Ennder probably knows this for certain, but I think Bush has been pretty much the same the last three years - it's his luck that tends to ebb and flow. Having a good defense behind him is key.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I used to chastise this guy, now I love him and he might be the most underrated player on the club. All he has to do is not give up so many HR's. He doesn't give up many walks or hits. His WHIP last year was great. I honestly think Bush will win 14 games this season with an ERA around 4 giver or take and another WHIP around 1.04. I think he is a legit #3 and could be a 2.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Looper isn't interested in the Brewers from what I've read.

I'll file that under good news.

Well, he can afford to be choosy....after all, he is Braden Looper.

Seriously, I can understand when highly coveted guys like Fuentes say things like "I'll only play for teams on the West Coast", but you'd think that a mediocre pitcher would go where the money is. (Not saying the Crew would absolutely have the best offer on the table, but what if they did?)

Well...well...well, good signing indeed. I like the number, but they will have to sign another starter, so next year's number should be closer to 90 million. Now that's gonna cause a domino effect. Expect Cameron to go in a salary dump, and any talk of Sheets coming back should be squashed entirely. If they lost money last year...this year...ugh.

If they lost money last year...this year...ugh.
Actually they didn't lose money last year. It was reported earlier that the team turned a profit last season. If the salary is to be between $80-85 million then there is enough room to sign one starter but I don't see any starters other than Sheets who looks like he doesn't want to come back that the Brewers should sign. Wolf's price will come down and should fit in the budget.

Expect Cameron to go in a salary dump, and any talk of Sheets coming back should be squashed entirely.

It will be interesting to see if the Cameron talks with the Yankees get revived. If the Yankees come back to reality and pick up most of Igawa's salary, then I could certainly live with a Cameron for Cabrera, Igawa, and between $6-8M.

Igawa at $1-2M/yr has value to the Brewers. McClung and Igawa fighting for the #5 slot (while not ideal) is not a bad thing. It certainly beats going into spring training with only 5 SP.

Ennder probably knows this for certain, but I think Bush has been pretty much the same the last three years - it's his luck that tends to ebb and flow. Having a good defense behind him is key.

He has gotten worse two years in a row now, his best year with the Brewers was in 06 and his 07 was just terribly unlucky. His second half last year was largely fueled by a 23% hit rate which he can't hope to sustain. However if he keeps his K/9, BB/9 and GB% at those second half levels he could give an ERA around 4.

I didn't realize they turned a small profit last year--my bad. That certainly is heartening. What isn't so optimistic is the present economy, and the task that lies ahead in remaining profitable in a small market, blue collar town like Pigsville.

I agree about the pitching. If the Brewers aren't going to sign anyone then they need to revive the Yankee deal, get them to pay the contracts, and we'll take the two stink bombs they're offering.

Archived