Brewer Fanatic

Estimates on arby raises? Anyone?

Roderick
Anyone know what the Phillies offered Ryan Howard last year? Also, where do 6 and 8 million fall in the history of first year arby awards? I know Howard's 10mil was the highest ever, is Prince made 6, where would that fall?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Personally, I feel that Weeks and Hart are asking for too much (not saying they won't get it). I could live with $8 million for Prince.

Weeks actually is asking for too little given his value. His value should likely be closer to $4m though he'd never get that. Hart after last year does seem to be asking for too much.

Hart's number is really the only one that surprised me, especially considering how poorly he did after the All Star Break. It seems too high and the Brewers seem to agree according to TH.

Both Fielder and Hart turned down multi-year offers from the club last spring after their contracts were renewed. Melvin said the club had engaged in "fewer talks" with Hart's agent of late, indicating a significant difference of opinion as to his value.

At the beginning of last season, I thought Hart was one of the guys they could get signed long term. Now, that doesn't seem very likely.

Personally, I feel that Weeks and Hart are asking for too much (not saying they won't get it). I could live with $8 million for Prince.

His value should likely be closer to $4m though he'd never get that.

I don't get what you can base that on. You say yourself he would never get that...so how can his "value" be about $4 million?
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

How do you arrive at the $81M amount? ...I checked my numbers by what is listed on this site and I agree (except for a little different number on Kendall) http://www.brewerfan.net/ViewTeamSalary.do?teamId=1

Are you using the 40 man roster or the 25 man roster? Maybe you are assuming more cost for the utility players?

The current salary according to that link is 66.4 million, +8 million for Fielder, 3.8 million for Hart, and 2.8 million for weeks = 81 million on the nose. Am I missing something?

The current salary according to that link is 66.4 million, +8 million for Fielder, 3.8 million for Hart, and 2.8 million for weeks = 81 million on the nose. Am I missing something?

I think the difference is 25 man vs 40 man. If you take the total of the salary page, it has 38 players. Take off 13 salaries at $400,000 and that subtracts $5.2 million.

They have to pay them but if they don't make the major league team the player most likely isn't going to make $400,000. Probably closer to $100,000 or less depending on how much service they have. Right now it's around a $30,000 minimum if you have never been in the majors and $60,000 if you have. Of course that could be dramatically higher depending on the contract they signed.

I think the difference is 25 man vs 40 man. If you take the total of the salary page, it has 38 players. Take off 13 salaries at $400,000 and that subtracts $5.2 million.

I had the figure around 76 million as well. Gives us around 6-7 to spend.

Also, I believe the Brewers were expecting 9-10 for Fielder and when they heard 8 they knew they had a steal. I think they were set on paying him at least 8 million. Coming in with an offer of 6 is a smart move by Milwaukee. Now they can negotiate somewhere around 7 and the Crew would be saving at least 1 million.

Invader3K wrote:

He also stated that Prince isn't the type of guy that wants to be "known as a one dimensional player."

We have heard that same thing since Prince first came up. He has not gotten any better and maybe even worse on defense. I would love for Prince to come in and improve his defense. I guess in the end, I'll believe it when I see it.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I had the figure around 76 million as well. Gives us around 6-7 to spend.
I couldn't remember which thread the team's payroll was being discussed vs Mark A's comments that the team was sitting around 85mil currently and most of the posters had the payroll in the 76-78 range. It just occurred to me that Mark was probably including the budgeted signing bonus figures for next year's draft picks which is why he was 7-8 mil more than the actual salaries. I believe the Brewers spent right around 7 million on the draft last year.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• 3 weeks later...

Archived