Brewer Fanatic

Estimates on arby raises? Anyone?

Roderick

Information from Cot's:

January 5-15, 2009

Salary arbitration filing. CBA, Article VI (F) (5).

January 20, 2009

Exchange of salary arbitration figures between MLB Labor Relations Committee and MLB Players Association.

February 1-21, 2009

Salary arbitration hearings, Phoenix. CBA, Article VI (F) (5).

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But I admit I know nothing regarding baseball arbitration, but in other types of arbitration comparables are used all the time.

The comparables are others in a player's service class (same number of years of service) and those in the next service class (one more year of service). Fifth year arby cases can also be compared to free agents.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I think Boras has a real chance of winning this one, so I don't see him settling half way. Had the Brewers come in at say $6.75 million, I'd think they had the upper hand.

Very possible. Hopefully, even the certainty of the worst case scenario will be helpful to Melvin and Ash.

I was expecting a higher number from Fielder.

I was too. I heard it announced on 540 AM this afternoon, and they said it was the second highest requested number, second only to Ryan Howard at $18 million (!). I was half expecting them to say Boras had asked for $11 or 12 million, or something insane like that. Really, there isn't any good reason that they shouldn't be able to settle somewhere in between...worst case, paying $8 million to a hitter of Fielder's caliber sounds fairly reasonable to me. I just think it would be best for all parties involved if they don't have to go to arbitration, obviously. I would hope even Scott Boras would agree, and settle even on the upper end of the difference, like say around $7.5 million or something.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Am I wrong in thinking that 6 million offered to Fielder is a slap in the face to Prince? I know that it's a matter of negotiating the deal, but 6 million? When I first heard that, I was sure that Prince said about 70 swear words in the direction of the Brewers.

Am I wrong in thinking that 6 million offered to Fielder is a slap in the face to Prince? I know that it's a matter of negotiating the deal, but 6 million? When I first heard that, I was sure that Prince said about 70 swear words in the direction of the Brewers.

What's the big deal? They're two million apart in negotiations. The Brewers made an offer for arbitration that they thought they could win if it came to a hearing. Fielder and Boras did the same thing. They're not that far apart and will probably settle right in the middle or around there give or take a couple hundred thousand.

The $2 mil difference is the largest out there except for Howard. Can't believe he asked for $18 mil. I'm not too worried about getting this all worked out quickly. With all the vets I expect to be teamless come May, I think we sit at $80 million until we suffer an injury and have to go out there and find a replacement. It is a buyer's market and cash is king, so we should just sit pretty and see how things pan out. Personally I think Yeti will stun everyone and be a great starter. I know it is a discussion for other topics, but if you assume he is a good starter, the biggest questions in the rotation are 1. Soup's ability to pitch, 2. The consistency of Bush and Parra and 3. Yo's durability.
Formerly Andersoc420

It's a good number for a first-year arbitration salary imo. Can't see why Prince would be insulted. Then again, this is the guy that thought it was appropriate to attack a teammate for basically nothing, so...
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Fielder and the Brewers are only $2 MM, apart.

$8 MM vs. $6 MM

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/37898514.html

Settle at $7 MM and lets get moving on the rest of the offseason.

Hmmm Haudicourt has it at $8 and $6 million. While the Capital Times has it at $7 and $10 million. From the Capital Times article.

"In the meantime, his salary will increase dramatically through arbitration from the $670,000 he made last year. Boras is expected to ask for as much as $10 million -- the record amount awarded Phillies slugger Ryan Howard a year ago -- for 2009 when the sides exchange offers Tuesday, with the Brewers countering at $7 million or more. The sides will have roughly five weeks to reach a compromise before an arbitrator would pick one of those options.

(For what it's worth, Melvin isn't forecasting a grudge match in negotiations. "I don't anticipate a confrontation with Boras," he said, adding, "I know you find that hard to believe.")"

So if Fielder, Weeks and Hart were to all get the number they requested in a worst case scenario (which almost surely will not actually happen), the payroll would be right around 81 million. Not a heck of a lot left to bring in another pitcher if they're set on having the payroll near 80 million.

I'd take Haudricourt's word over the Capital Times. I'd be very surprised if the Cap. Times could get the same, let alone more, access than TH.

EDIT: and I see the Cap. Times article's timestamp is from 7am this morning (basically written last night), while TH's blog timestamp is 3:35p.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I guess I was thinking Prince/Boras would have offered 9-10 and the Brewers would have offered 7.5. To me, for the amount of money that Prince makes the Mark A, I would have figured 6 million was quite low. I guess I was wrong though. Either way, I agree that the 2 million difference isn't bad at all and I'm happy to see that's it won't exceed 8 million.

Am I wrong in thinking that 6 million offered to Fielder is a slap in the face to Prince?
I actually thought the same thing. He is clearly worth more than that, and frankly I was surprised at his figure to only be 8, and I fully expect him to get all of it. I think Prince seems to be often undervalued on this board and many seem to think he's only slightly above average. I think that's crazy, sure his numbers were down a bit in '08 but does anyone really expect him not to bounce back? I sure don't.

I think the thinking that he is only a little above average takes his horrendous defense into account. I think 2008 was a down year for Prince. I also think expecting 2007 numbers out him again is unrealistic also. I think he will settle somewhere in between while his already bad defense continues to slide.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Gord Ash mentioned yesterday on 540 AM that he expected Prince to continue working on his "conditioning" this off season, which would help with his defense...I took that to mean he is working on getting in better shape, which can only help his defense. He also stated that Prince isn't the type of guy that wants to be "known as a one dimensional player." I hope he is right. I'd love to see Prince come in and prove the doubters wrong by doing a bit better than last season.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Gord Ash mentioned yesterday on 540 AM that he expected Prince to continue working on his "conditioning" this off season, which would help with his defense...
As long as his "conditioning" means eating less and actual physical work, as opposed to what seems to have happened last offseason, I'll be happy.

So if Fielder, Weeks and Hart were to all get the number they requested in a worst case scenario (which almost surely will not actually happen), the payroll would be right around 81 million.
How do you arrive at the $81M amount? I figure the payroll at $76.5M with the assumptions of paying the three arby guys the full amount and spending $2M on the three backup position spots and a minumum wage pitcher spot (that would be replaced by a FA signing). I checked my numbers by what is listed on this site and I agree (except for a little different number on Kendall) http://www.brewerfan.net/ViewTeamSalary.do?teamId=1

Are you using the 40 man roster or the 25 man roster? Maybe you are assuming more cost for the utility players?

Archived