Brewer Fanatic

Brewers interested in Joaquin Benoit?

This according to mlbtraderumors.com:

Evan Grant also notes that Joaquin Benoit has moved to the forefront as the Ranger reliever must likely to be dealt. Akinori Otsuka's injury may prevent him from full re-establishing his value by July 31st. Benoit will not become a free agent until after 2008, and he's in the midst of a career year after rediscovering his control. The Dodgers and Brewers may be interested. L.A. could get desperate if Takashi Saito's injury is serious, although it does not appear to be. On the other hand, it's certainly in Ned Colletti's best interest to downplay the injury. For the Brew Crew, Benoit could slide into the closer role in 2008 if they allow Cordero to leave.

To me this is just another reliever we could pass on. I personally havent seen him pitch but by reviewing his stats etc. nothing really is to eye appealing.

He has a career ERA of almost 5 (4.91), has almost a 2:1 K/B ratio...which again is nothing to great. This year he is defiantly looking better, but at 30 years old here in a few days I doubt he would get to much better from on this point.

I've seen him twice, Pure gas. Very hard thrower, reminded me of Turnbow. The only reason I can think of why they would trade him is because they would be selling high. He's having a breakout year, after several non-descript seasons.

I've posted Benoit as a trade target in years past, because he has a terrific arm, and is out of options. I'd love to add him now. He's having a great year, and would be even better if curved his stats for switching leagues and pitching in Miller Park instead of the Ballpark in Arlington. Texas wasted most of his career trying to make him a starter, he fits much better out of the pen. He would likely be our 2nd best reliever.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

To answer my own question, it looks like he as been used primarily as a reliever the past 3 years, with 2005 being the only in the past 3 seasons in which he appeared as a starter (9 games started in 32 appearances).

His ERA for the past 3 seasons (219 innings pitched) is 3.95, with a 1.26 WHIP, and averages 1 strikeout per inning.

EDIT: It also looks like he's very Matt Wise-ish, in that he appears to be equally or more effective vs. Lefties than Righties despite being a RHP.

Gruber Lawffices

According to ESPN, from 2004-2006 he pitched 149 Innings as a reliever, with 152 K, 3.69 ERA, 1.19 WHIP, and .207 BAA

9.2 K/9

2.375 K/BB ratio

Pretty solid -- depending on what it would take to get him, it could be a good pickup.

I'm pretty sure that was Benoit. Benoit was also the guy who, earlier in the year, struck out back-to-back Angels on pitches that caused the bats to go flying into the dugout. He's got some nasty stuff, it's just an issue of control.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Would be a very nice pickup. I don't think he's got enough of a track record that we'd be able to ink him as our '08 closer, but he'd be an option and a nice boost for this season.

Depends on the price.

Would be a very nice pickup. I don't think he's got enough of a track record that we'd be able to ink him as our '08 closer, but he'd be an option and a nice boost for this season.

Turnbow was not considered a closer to the spring of 05 and had no track record that would show he would have such a great season.

So is Benoit's value greater or lesser than Otsuka? Otsuka has a much better track record and has more closing experience, but it seems right now that trading Benoit would be "selling high" for the Rangers, while the injured Otsuka would be "selling low."

If Gwynn for Otsuka was nearly a done deal, what would you propose for Benoit?

Gruber Lawffices

If Gwynn for Otsuka was nearly a done deal, what would you propose for Benoit?

I would have to imagine that Benoit's value is a little lower. They might still demand Gwynn, which is fine by me, but maybe we could squeeze a prospect out of them as well.

So is Benoit's value greater or lesser than Otsuka? Otsuka has a much better track record and has more closing experience, but it seems right now that trading Benoit would be "selling high" for the Rangers, while the injured Otsuka would be "selling low."

Why would you want Otsuka right now with his arm problems he may not even help the team and you have given up a prospect for him.

Still would send Gywnn for Benoit to the Rangers.

Archived